40 year old enters Cathe's 'Theater Of Pain'

Garth

Hello everyone,
I'm a 40 year old man who has recently discovered he's mortal, and, umm, older.
I've never been an athlete but was in pretty good shape, that is until my metabolism betrayed me at 26. That was the same year I got married to my wonderful wife, Lisa. She’s been a faithful Cathe-ite for 3 years now and works out 5 days a week.
I'm a web developer so you know I get *plenty* of exercise. Last week I helped my unit move monitors from the first floor to the third. Needless to say I wasn't feeling very good after it was over (the smirks from the twentysomethings didn't help.)
I stumbled home and saw Lisa doing full-blown push-ups, keeping perfect pace with Cathe. I decided that I needed to start doing weight-work as well.
Lisa was delighted and worked out a three month schedule for me…What have I done. Tonight was my first workout – Cathe’s 'Pure Strength' – Strong Legs – Standing Leg Work. I showed up in the living room, blissfully unaware about what was about to transpire. Lisa showed me how to work the chapters feature and left the room with a giggle, a sure warning sign.
My legs were upset after the warm-up; they will look back at this as paradise. I couldn’t believe how out of shape I've gotten. Cathe tried her best to kill me with her 'lunges' but I toughed it out.
About halfway thru Static Lunges my Siamese cat, Charlie, strolled into the room to see what all the grunting was about. He stood there for 1 minute and then decided that this might be fun to watch. He jumped up on the couch and gave me a bemused look.
Sit and Stand squats were the worst of the section. I swear my knees were knocking together! After 20 minutes of hell it was over. I wobbled over to the TV and turned everything off. Lisa came running in (to make sure I was still alive).
I sat down and just melted. Charlie jumped on my lap and I couldn't ever feel him there! Then the worst thing happened, I stood up and made the same noise my dad used to make when he got up! It's true you turn into your parents.
So, my legs feel like they’ve been beaten with sand filled socks and then filled with lead, this is suppose to be good for you, right? I can’t wait until the morning and I have to roll out of bed.
Well, thanks for listening. I decided I need outside encouragement to keep this up and get back into shape. Any comments/encouragement is welcome and sorely needed (pun intended.)
Lisa spends lots of time on this site, ordering DVD's and reading the forums. I used to call her a member of 'The Cult of Cathe'. Guess now I'm a member as well. Yes Cathe, I will order more videos.........
Garth

Ha!

Welcome Garth!!! Lisa should know BETTER then starting you out with PS Legs! Sure she isn't trying to get RID ofyou?!?!? Ha! Trust me, if you can survive PS Legs, you'll do just fine. It's great to have another male amongst us. Maybe Trevor, Brad, Wayne and Ki will pop in to say hey too. Good Luck with your workout TODAY and give Charlie a big OLE pat from us!
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Ha!

What an amusing post!!!! I am about to start the Pure Strength series so this was a very nice intro. I am a 42 year old gal and my kitty, Dupree, enjoys watching me workout. Given they sleep much of the day, they must wonder what all this fuss is about!
Good luck with the rest of the series. (Your wife must be hysterical and strong!!) Debra;-)

What a great story! Welcome Garth! The hardest part is getting started and you have already done that so, good for you! It will get easier and soon you will be feeling so proud of what you can do, not worrying about what you can't. Stick with it... look at Lisa... she sounds like she is perfect inspiration for you.

This is the funniest thing I have ever read!

You are hooked now - please keep us informed of your initiation. Sounds like Lisa is out to prove how tough she is...good for her!

Take care of those legs...and beware of the endurance tapes!

Mikie

I have my husband working on Boot Camp

He has worked up to about the sixth out of eight sections. He is wiped! He can't believe I can finish it!

I want to put hom on Muscle Endurance next. I won't let hom read this post!

But seriously, Cathe's workouts I think should be appealling to men given the athletic nature and no-nonsense attitude.

Congratulations - you did one of Cathe's tougher workouts.

Chris

Welcome, Garth! You're wife, Lisa, must love you very much. First cuz she's introducing you to Cathe and secondly, cuz she didn't make you do the floorwork in PS Legs, too!:p

Really, good luck to you and I hope you stick with it. You should buy/do something really nice for Lisa since she's helping you get in shape this way. :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7 :7

There's beauty in pain, Garth old buddy.

Pretty soon you and Lisa will have His and Hers collections of Cathe DVD's so you won't have to squabble if you want to use the same ones simultaneously. We're good at encouraging you to spend your money here.

A-jock
}(

I had to print this out for my hubby to read. He won't even attempt Cathe 'cause he knows that BOTH of us will whup his patootie!

I love these kind of posts! We all know how tough Cathe is, and most guys just don't believe us.}( Keep at it Garth and kept us posted!

You ROCK Garth!!!

I was so pleased with this thread. I love it when hubbies get involved. It shows you have no fear!! Excellent first time effort Garth! Keep on coming back for more torture now, you here???
And PLLLEEAAAASSSEEE update us on the status of your lower body tommorrow!!!:)

Janice

Howdy Garth, loved your story, it made me giggle I have to say, welcome to Catheland. We love her exercises even though their tough stuff......... Rhonda :7 :7

Hi Garth,

I am so proud of you for entering the theatre of pain and allowing Cathe to whip your tush, but once you get past the pain you will eventually find pleasure ( I did say eventually}( ).
Finally another male not afraid to enter the realm of Cathe, but please be careful and start off with light weights, as we dont want to hear that you have been buried under the patio.

Luv Hotchick;)

Hi, Garth!

I give you "ten cool points"! The Spouse won't try even one .. let alone one as toned as Cathe is. Yet, he needs to loose about 40 lbs. I just joyously do my Tapes and know I have a step as far as my health!

You have a great partner in Lisa! We are here ... all "sweating" together!!

Take care, and I will check back with you both!

CeeCee

"If I don't stop, I have not failed.":)

Welcome to the cult of Cathe. I know these workouts seem really, really tough at first but with time and practice its amazing how fast your body will adapt to these workouts. The hardest part of these workouts is getting started. You already did that, so you've done the hardest part. Just think, if you keep up with your workout routine you will probably be in better shape then many of the younger members of your company. When I first started doing these routines I found them challenging, (in January) but now I find them great and a lot of fun! I'm 41 years old and I feel I am probably in the best shape I've ever been in. I think this is amazing considering how I remember my aunts, uncles and parents aging. I wish you good-luck and am very happy your wife managed to convert you (I've been trying to convert my own husband for a while now). Even though its tough, stick with Cathe, and you will feel amazing changes to not only your physical appearance but also your energy levels and your overall lookout on life!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.