300 crunches a day

Was thinking of doing 100 reverse crunches in the am. 100 in the afternoon and 100 in the evening along with my current workouts.
Any opinions? Want to join me?

Charlotte~~

Charlotte,

If I drop down and do 100 reverse crunches in my cubicle in the afternoon...I'm gonna have a lot of explaining to do.

Hey, maybe I can add it as a goal or obective on my performance review!:7

Candi- you will just have to do 200 then in the evening!
;-)

Wendy- I have been wanting to say this for awhile. When I was pregnant back in the late 80's, my doctor wouldn't let me ride on a boat when I was 6 months pregnant much less workout. Advanced workouts for pregnant women I don't think existed as far as I knew. All I did was eat and rest and people would treat me as if I were very fragile. Amazing what you are doing! Your workouts have to be much harder with the extra weight. Your amazing!

Charlotte~~

I think that's a bit much. If you want the proverbial six pack you should train your abs as you do any other muscle. If you overtrain your abs (or any other muscle) they shrink.

JMHO. The best way to train abs is once or twice a week w/weights.

Of course after my experience last night, perhaps I'm not the best person to offer advice. :p

Maximus- just confused. Here Usher works out his abs twice a week and look at them.
This has been on my mind since my children brought it up last week. I had them to a Cathe workout (C&W ab segment) and they suggested more crunches instead. I think some of their friends at school work out their abs alot and have that 6 pack we all seem to want.
Glad I started this thread so I can keep getting some advice.

Charlotte~~

Who is Usher? He isn't bricked up in some basement somewhere, is he? LOL!

This info comes from an ab class I took in 1999. I was living in MD & my gym at the time hired these women from NYC to come give the class. I really learned a lot about ab work. One of the things they taught was in order for your abs to show you have to actually build them, not shrink them. They said working them every day or even every other day w/really high reps was too much.

I completely changed my workout after the class & finally started seeing results I wanted. I do 4 sets of 15 basic crunches w/a plate on my head, & 4 sets of 15 cable crunches @ 100lbs.

Why don't you try it for 6-8 weeks & see what happens? You're so slim the results would probably show pretty quickly. If you don't see any changes you could try something else.

I agree with Maximus. You don't need to do 300 crunches to get the results. The BEST way doing it is SLOW. Oxygen, M&F Hers, and M&F are against doing 300 crunches a day. They said you don't get results and the result is you'll hurt yourself. They recommend 3 sets of 12-25 reps per exercise. I've never done 300 crunches a day in my life and I didn't have a problem achieving my goal. (that was before I got pregnant) I find it ridiculous to do so many crunches. Usher is a dope and I would not believe what celebrities say they do because I bet you they don't even do as many. They just want to look good and brag. Do the smart thing, Charlotte and you'll get to your goal! :)

>Wendy- I have been wanting to say this for awhile. When I was
>pregnant back in the late 80's, my doctor wouldn't let me ride
>on a boat when I was 6 months pregnant much less workout.
>Advanced workouts for pregnant women I don't think existed as
>far as I knew. All I did was eat and rest and people would
>treat me as if I were very fragile. Amazing what you are
>doing! Your workouts have to be much harder with the extra
>weight. Your amazing!

Thanks so much, Charlotte!:+ Either I am either super-motivated or insane...I haven't quite figured out which one it is yet! LOL

Ofcourse, I also must say that I consider myself VERY lucky as I have had only very minimal discomforts. No morning sickness at all...only some fatigue in the first trimester and some aches and pains that "attack" me when I am in bed at night. Other than that, I have felt fine since day one of my pregnancy. I'm sure that has a lot to do with how much I have been working out.

Docs' outlooks on exercise and pregnancy have changed. I'll bet if you were pregnant in this day and age you'd be doing even more than I am!!!

I have to say...the encouragement, motivation and support that this crowd gives one another when it comes to working out is AMAZING!

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

Maximus- Usher is a singer. You know, "Little John"? Have you heard of the song?
Anyways, sounds like you have a good solid routine for abs. I just don't feel like I am getting enough workout for abs just doing little premixes out of Cathe's workouts.
Sounds like a plan, will give it a go. I will let you know if I ever get "any toys" in my "little box" LOL

Charlotte~~

Maximus - you do crunches with a plate ON YOUR HEAD? Wow! And here I thought I was tough wearing a lime on mine! Just teasing;)

I did a two-week, 300-crunch a day challenge at VF (using a variety of ab exercises, not just crunches) about a month ago. I got very bored after the first week. It taught me that this amount of ab work ISN'T necessary and it takes up time that could be better used doing more weights or abs.

>I think that's a bit much. If you want the proverbial six
>pack you should train your abs as you do any other muscle. If
>you overtrain your abs (or any other muscle) they shrink.
>
This is precisely why swimsuit models do the 300-crunch a day route. Unfortunatly, as I said above, it's boring!

I personally prefer flat, tight abs to a six-pack on women.

Well people have already mentioned the faulty logic behind this goal, all that's left for me to say is "NO THANK YOU"!!!

There's nothing on earth that would make me do anything so boring, unless it be piles and piles of cash!

Clare

Charlotte, do you have Cathe's ab hits? One night a week I'll do ab hits w/a med ball (which of course could be substituted w/a dumbell or plate) & let me tell you, it's a killer! It actually makes me sore. Such a great feeling!

I don't think I've heard Little John. I listen to old people's music. Did he ever open for Billy Joel? :+

It taught me that
>this amount of ab work ISN'T necessary and it takes up time
>that could be better used doing more weights or abs.

Oop! I meant to say "weights or cardio." (How long DO we have to edit our posts? 5 minutes?!)

Charlotte,

While you intentions are good and you motivation, drive and dedication is incredible, I think you should listen to Maximus. I have read so many times that if you are able to do that many crunches, your form is compromised and you are getting nowhere.

I stopped working my abs everyday about a month ago and I think it is helping! A few months ago, I Never worked out without working abs...missing ab work made me feel flubby. Now I do just a few days a week using weights and aim for a strong burn, followed by a good stretch. I try to focus on keeping them "drawn in" throughout the day.

BTW, How did the baby shower go?

Also, how are you doing with the 8's?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.