1 dumbbell vs 2 dumbbells

firemedic

Cathlete
Cathe,
I was wondering if there is an advantage to holding 2 dumbbells during certain exercises? I noticed in your live classes, you hold 2 dumbbells for standing tricep extensions and pull overs for the back. Instead of 2 dumbbells, can I just hold 1 heavier one or is it better to use 2?

Thanks
Kim

I've often wondered about that myself. It seems like 2 dumbells would be more difficult since one side may be weaker than the other and the issue of having to keep them both under control comes into play. On the other hand, the heavier weight seems like it should compensate in terms of strength since the two hands working together can lift heaver weight. Of course, then the weaker side catches a break since the stronger side takes more of the load.

I'm by no means offering an answer. I'm pondering the same questions that go on inside my head when we use barbells or one dumbell for exercises that could use two.

I hope Cathe responds.

-Teals

I've always thought that it was an issue of having a high enough weight. Cathe can lift a seriously heavy amount of weight so I figured it was so that she would be challenged adequately, since I think 15s or 20s is the highest dumbbell weight available in her group fitness room. In her videos she seems to vary between using 1 or 2 dumbbells, for instance in PUB she only uses 1 dumbbell for overhead triceps extensions and 1 dumbbell for pullovers.

If there's a different reason for using 1 vs. 2 I would love to know. Thanks for raising the question.

Lisa

In Cathe Live we use two dumbbells because it would not be practical to have that heavy of a single dumbbell in a group fitness situation. Our main aerobics room holds 105 people so you can imagine how many dumbbells we need. We stock 210 dumbbells for every weight from 3lb's to 15 lbs, but to go beyond 15lb's would just take up way too much room - so we double up. If it was practical we would just use single dumbbells.

In Cathe Live we use two dumbbells because it would not be practical to have that heavy of a single dumbbell in a group fitness situation. Our main aerobics room holds 105 people so you can imagine how many dumbbells we need. We stock 210 dumbbells for every weight from 3lb's to 15 lbs, but to go beyond 15lb's would just take up way too much room - so we double up. If it was practical we would just use single dumbbells.
OH. That makes sense. So generally speaking, as long as the weight load is the same we can use dumbells (single or double) or even a barbell interchangeably?

Thanks so much. I guess I will do whatever feels more comfortable. I like a single heavy on triceps, but I do like the 2 (15's) on pullovers.

OH. That makes sense. So generally speaking, as long as the weight load is the same we can use dumbells (single or double) or even a barbell interchangeably?

Yes, you're correct. There is no real difference in using two or one dumbbell as far effectiveness goes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.