Adjustable Dumbbells : Suggestions???

dr.mel_PT

Cathlete
Hi everyone! A client of mine is looking to build her home gym and invest in some adjustable DBs (YAY!!!!). She'd prefer something that isn't too bulky and where the bars don't have a "metal smell." Price point if we can is around $250 but she is willing to go higher if it's a good set. Also, we were looking for something where she can load appx 40-50#s per dumbbell if possible.

I'm doing my research too but would love to hear from any of you who have suggestions!

Power Blocks. I've had mine for 15 years and they are still going strong. Mine go to 90lbs and increase by 2.5lb increments. When I bought they did have 50lb sets available. Will say I have no idea what the price point is these days but they are definitely an investment that have held value for my home gym.

I use the bowflex selectech 550. Got them in 2016 and they go from 5-50 lbs. they’re great and I’ve never used heavier than a single 40 lb dumbbell. I think I paid $250 on Amazon .

Bowflex SelectTechs. They're pricey, however, especially if you get the stand. You might luck out and find someone selling them for cheaper on Craigslist, etc.

When I was researching for adjustable dumbbells I really liked the Power Blocks. Unfortunately, they weren't available in New Zealand and were far too expensive to import from overseas so I ended up with dumbbells that look similar to the Bowflex SelectTechs but were much cheaper. There have been reviews with the type of dumbbell I have that the mechanism that holds the weights can fail causing the plates to drop off the handles but others have said that usually only happens if you are rough with them and drop them down instead of placing them down carefully. I haven't experienced this but I am careful. This post caused me to take another look and GOOD NEWS! Power Blocks have just arrived in New Zealand, so I will be seriously looking at upgrading.

Just bought a pair of Power Blocks Pro 50 EXP. One of the stores that sells them just put them on special for Easter, 10% off. I also bought a stand which was 10% off too.

One thing to note with adjustable dumbbells is the length of the dumbbell. That is one thing I like with the Power Blocks over the ones I currently have. With my dumbbells and many other adjustable dumbbells that have the dials at the ends, they are longer than regular dumbbells and, even at the lighter weights, you are lifting the full length of the dumbbell. I personally find this awkward for exercises such as bench press and deadlifts. With the Power Blocks at the lighter weight it selects weights closest to the handle so you are working with a shorter length. It is only when you go to the highest weight that you lift the full length. But even at full length, Power Blocks are shorter than my current dumbbells.

Another brand I looked at was Ironmaster. These are really good too but expensive. They take longer to adjust than Power Blocks or Bowflex. I also notice there is a new brand on the market Nuobell, which is getting good reviews. Quick to adjust, and unlike the Power Blocks, these look and feel more like regular dumbbells.

Just bought a pair of Power Blocks Pro 50 EXP. One of the stores that sells them just put them on special for Easter, 10% off. I also bought a stand which was 10% off too.

One thing to note with adjustable dumbbells is the length of the dumbbell. That is one thing I like with the Power Blocks over the ones I currently have. With my dumbbells and many other adjustable dumbbells that have the dials at the ends, they are longer than regular dumbbells and, even at the lighter weights, you are lifting the full length of the dumbbell. I personally find this awkward for exercises such as bench press and deadlifts. With the Power Blocks at the lighter weight it selects weights closest to the handle so you are working with a shorter length. It is only when you go to the highest weight that you lift the full length. But even at full length, Power Blocks are shorter than my current dumbbells.

Another brand I looked at was Ironmaster. These are really good too but expensive. They take longer to adjust than Power Blocks or Bowflex. I also notice there is a new brand on the market Nuobell, which is getting good reviews. Quick to adjust, and unlike the Power Blocks, these look and feel more like regular dumbbells.
YES the bulkiness is why both of us were kind of hesitant. It seems like Power Blocks are the way to go (that's also what a lot of people recommended when I posted this on Facbeook too). Thank you!

Congrats, Hazlady! I hope you love your PBs as much as I have loved mine (I'm sure you will!).

Hi everyone! A client of mine is looking to build her home gym and invest in some adjustable DBs (YAY!!!!). She'd prefer something that isn't too bulky and where the bars don't have a "metal smell." Price point if we can is around $250 but she is willing to go higher if it's a good set. Also, we were looking for something where she can load appx 40-50#s per dumbbell if possible.

I'm doing my research too but would love to hear from any of you who have suggestions!
I can attest to Powerblocks as well!

I’ve used SelectTechs, but they are long. The weight adjustment is quick and easy, though. I’ve had my eye on the expandable set by Powerblock. I’ve been scouring fb marketplace. My goal is to get a set to use with STS 2.0!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.