Is Step Boss considered Intermediate or Advanced?

Gobias

Cathlete

Has anyone used specific moves to "take it up a notch to the next level", besides using a higher step height and taking the obvious moves (Power 15's, 3-knee-repeaters) airborne?

Thanks!

Has anyone used specific moves to "take it up a notch to the next level", besides using a higher step height and taking the obvious moves (Power 15's, 3-knee-repeaters) airborne?

Thanks!
I know you mentioned step height. But I occasionally use three risers. Or like you said lifts/ jumps. I wonder if wearing weighted gloves would be doable and increase intensity.
I remember asking Cathe What level it was— she did comment PHA would be considered advanced.

Thanks for the replies of if this series is to be Advanced or Intermediate.

ChelePA - I took your advice and used weights in my hand this morning with IMAX4. I first tried 2 lb gloves, but that was throwing my arms all around due to the weight placement is my guess. I grabbed 3 lb weights (the lightest I had) and it worked pretty well. I did have to set them down for some of the moves, so it was nice I could just drop the weights rather than take off gloves. I already do my step at 10", so any higher I am worried I may trip. Thanks for the great tip!

For StepSync, since it is dancier, I can't seem to take many of the moves airborne without throwing off the timing. I will try the little hand weights, but am thinking that will also throw off the timing. I am going to try to come up with something that helps my heart rate raise a bit. I already flail my arms all over the place and that seems to help.

I love love love step and am excited this series came out, I am just not finding it as heart challenging as I personally prefer.

I agree that Step Sync isn't a super cardio challenge as say Plyo Hit or X77, but I still work up a sweat. I like that it challenges my balance and brain and it's nice to keep my body moving even though I'm not gasping for air. I think that's why I reach for my step workouts often. Because some days I just want to get a workout in and have fun doing it. I think IMAX 4 and PHA 3 are definitely advanced though. At least for me.

Thanks for the replies of if this series is to be Advanced or Intermediate.

ChelePA - I took your advice and used weights in my hand this morning with IMAX4. I first tried 2 lb gloves, but that was throwing my arms all around due to the weight placement is my guess. I grabbed 3 lb weights (the lightest I had) and it worked pretty well. I did have to set them down for some of the moves, so it was nice I could just drop the weights rather than take off gloves. I already do my step at 10", so any higher I am worried I may trip. Thanks for the great tip!

For StepSync, since it is dancier, I can't seem to take many of the moves airborne without throwing off the timing. I will try the little hand weights, but am thinking that will also throw off the timing. I am going to try to come up with something that helps my heart rate raise a bit. I already flail my arms all over the place and that seems to help.

I love love love step and am excited this series came out, I am just not finding it as heart challenging as I personally prefer.

I have 2 pound weighted gloves and 2 pound dumbbells. I sometimes prefer to use the dumbbells, like you, because I can put them down for certain moves. I also use them in the Lite series. I haven’t tried the weights for this series. Maybe I will when they come up again in my step lovers’ rotation.

I would call it intermediate in intensity and intermediate/advanced in choreography. It feels like Cathe teaches the combos more slowly and perhaps packs a few less moves/embellishments into each combo compared to other step workouts.

Rhythmic Step, Step Blast, and Party Rockin' Step 1 are my all time favorite step workouts, but Step Sync is definitely up there on my list. I am so thankful to have another full-length Cathe step workout to add in. I did make a few moves high impact that she keeps low, and by the end I had worked up a decent sweat. Not every workout for me has to be 9 out of 10 for intensity.

Me too! I absolutely love step and get the best results from Steady State workouts. While MWT, Circuit, HiiT seems to be the popular cardio workouts for the past several years...there I was always reaching for a good hour long step workout. Super fun.
I also get the best results from step. I started with Cathe with Power Max, and I've been including step in my rotations for 20+ years. I am beyond thrilled to have fresh routines!!! And this series is a delight. Imax4 clearly is a treasure, and Step Sync too! These will get used greatly.

Doing the Hardcore & Step Boss rotation this month, and the Step Lover's Rotation next month. I put it on the manager from the rotations' list. On the workout manager page, Click on "rotations," then "Download a rotation," then "Cathe rotation," and it's there.

PHA 3 is definitely advanced and yet I think there are a few things I can up the challenge on. I think Step Sync is advanced choreography but I use it as a more intermediate workout cardio wise just to loosen up the muscles and get the blood flowing, (not to mention it is fun). IMAX 4 is kind of between intermediate and advanced depending if you jump a little more and of course your fitness level. I think as always you can customize any of these to your own level.
It is kind of like the LITE series, I find there are days I really want to make things tougher, especially the weights. Someday I should share what I do for stacked sets Upper and Pyramid Pump. Then there are days I'll do exactly what Cathe says because I need an easier day.

Thanks!
Definitely intermediate. Another one making me scratch my head, but I will use the PHA workout. The step routines I'll donate to the library.

I find PHA 3 is advanced, I have to use lighter weights than Cathe on quite a few of the exercises, compared with LITE PHA where I tend to use the same weight as Cathe. IMAX 4 is easier than IMAX 3 but I find IMAX 3 super advanced and have to modify and pause a lot to get through it. I still had to pause IMAX 4 after every 2 rounds to catch my breath and regain my focus for the next choreography move, and I only used the step platform without risers. Step Sync has advanced choreography and is mentally challenging but for cardio is easier than IMAX 4. But for people who struggle with choreography this is a challenging workout. My legs felt like lead after doing Step Sync and I was only using the step platform.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.