2nd pregnancy is hard

I’m looking for others experiences and maybe some reassurance. My first pregnancy was such a breeze. I wasn’t sick, I wasn’t tired, with the exception of a few “growing “ pains I was myself. I worked out all the time, up until the day before I delivered! I had an emergency c section with a super easy recovery. I was back to my pre pregnancy weight less than two weeks after giving birth! I attributed all of this to the fact that I worked daily with Cathe.

I’m now 6 years older (just turned 37), and am 13 weeks pregnant. I’ve been sick and sooooo exhausted this pregnancy. To the point working out is an absolute struggle. I worked up the energy to do PHA today and i had to stop. I got just dizzy and exhausted. I’m feeling so worried that I’m not going to reap the benefits of regular exercise with this pregnancy. Maybe it will get better when I reach the 2nd trimester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi! You are my pregnancy twin!!!! I’m 37 and 11 weeks pregnant with number 2. My daughter is 2 years old. I’m having a hell of a time with this pregnancy! With my first I was mildly tired and the only food adversion I had was gum (weird I know) and I worked out without any issues. This time around starting at 5 weeks I’ve been naseauos 24/7, can’t eat the majority of foods I used to love (bye veggies), and I’m exhausted.

I have forced myself to continue exercising but it’s been HARD! I feel depressed because I’m so tired of feeling like this. I haven’t given up exercise because I feel like I will feel even worse so even if I just walk it’s something. It’s been hard working full time, keeping up with the house, cooking and chasing after my daughter. My husband helps but all I want to do is sleep! I can’t wait to get to the second trimester! You should start feeling better in a couple of weeks. Let’s keep this check in going . I’d love the support!

Hi Ladies - I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my first and the nausea/exhaustion is killing me! I was fine until this week and then it hit me a like a ton of bricks. I'm still trying to workout like normal, but I have to admit it's very challenging given how I'm feeling right now. I'm just praying that things let up when I hit the second trimester because I can't imagine feeling like this the entire time. Karie- you are right it is depressing feeling like this! I've cried a couple of times this week because it's so hard working full time and keeping up with everything while feeling so bad. Would love to check in with you girls if you'll have me! Would love the extra support :) .

Hi Ladies - I'm 8 weeks pregnant with my first and the nausea/exhaustion is killing me! I was fine until this week and then it hit me a like a ton of bricks. I'm still trying to workout like normal, but I have to admit it's very challenging given how I'm feeling right now. I'm just praying that things let up when I hit the second trimester because I can't imagine feeling like this the entire time. Karie- you are right it is depressing feeling like this! I've cried a couple of times this week because it's so hard working full time and keeping up with everything while feeling so bad. Would love to check in with you girls if you'll have me! Would love the extra support :) .

Hey there! 8 weeks was tough for me. I’m 12 weeks now and starting to feel better though not 100%. You are doing great keeping up with your workouts! It really is hard! Have you tried B6 for nausea? That helped me a little. My nausea is gone but my digestion is so slow so when I eat I feel like it sits in my stomach for HOURS! What workouts have you been doing?

Hi Karie - thanks for responding! So glad to hear you are starting to feel better! I haven't tried B6 yet, but after struggling through all the nausea this past week I'm definitely going out to get some today. Even if it only helps a little bit...that will be a blessing! I also have to travel for work this week (thankfully only two nights), but if this week is anything like last week it's going to be a struggle and I'm honestly dreading it. Thankfully I don't have to travel a lot for my job (just a few times a year).

As for working out, I was doing 80 Day Obsession when I found out I was pregnant. I was finishing Phase 2. My original thought was to finish out the program since I only had one more phase to go. This program does have a lot of core work in it so my goal was to finish up before I hit the 2nd trimester. But then this last week happened and suddenly I was no longer in the mood to finish this program. I love 80DO, but there is a lot of repetition in it and I think with me feeling so bad this week I just needed more variety to help keep me distracted. So this week I switched back to Cathe workouts. I started off with LITE Metabolic Blast on a day I was feeling especially nauseous. It was the perfect pace/weight selection for how I was feeling that day. Funny, I've always been a bigger fan of Cathe's more advanced workouts but that I'm pregnant it's really nice to have ICE and LITE in the library! I also did several of the newer Cathe Live's that I hadn't done yet. Yesterday, I decided to focus on a pure strength workout so I did Xtrain Chest, Back and Shoulders. So I guess you could say that I've been a little all over the place this week! LOL. As a first time mom, I'm still trying to figure out what will be best for me in the long run....focusing on more strength based workouts, cardio, or metabolic workouts? I guess for now I'm going to probably do a mix of all of these as it's just a challenge to get any workout in these days. What kind of workouts did you do with your first pregnancy?

I hope you feel better this coming week and that the B6 helps some. You sound like me with being grateful for Cathes Ice and Lite series. I love hard workouts but these are going to be great throughout pregnancy. I did do To the Max the other day and just went slower so it worked out. I get out of breath easier.

As for my first pregnancy, I kept up with my regular throughout the first trimester. I didn’t have the nausea with my first so just fatigue so I was able to power through. I ran more at that time but had to stop running around 18 weeks because it just got uncomfortable for me. I did a ton of spinning and total body weights throughout my first. As the pregnancy progressed I cut down on frequency from 5 days a week, to 4 days a week, to 3 days a week and then completely stopped formal workouts at 37 weeks. I just walked at the end.

I hope to keep up just the same this time though I’m bored of spinning so not sure how or what type of cardio I will be doing as I progress. You are doing great. Days you feel like s***, take it easy. You are almost through the first trimester so hang in there.

Hi! You are my pregnancy twin!!!! I’m 37 and 11 weeks pregnant with number 2. My daughter is 2 years old. I’m having a hell of a time with this pregnancy! With my first I was mildly tired and the only food adversion I had was gum (weird I know) and I worked out without any issues. This time around starting at 5 weeks I’ve been naseauos 24/7, can’t eat the majority of foods I used to love (bye veggies), and I’m exhausted.

I have forced myself to continue exercising but it’s been HARD! I feel depressed because I’m so tired of feeling like this. I haven’t given up exercise because I feel like I will feel even worse so even if I just walk it’s something. It’s been hard working full time, keeping up with the house, cooking and chasing after my daughter. My husband helps but all I want to do is sleep! I can’t wait to get to the second trimester! You should start feeling better in a couple of weeks. Let’s keep this check in going . I’d love the support!
Sorry, I’m just now reading this!!! I’m now 15 weeks and doing a little better. I’m not as nauseous but still pretty tired but slightly better than I was. I’m at least feeling more like myself which is good, because it really sucked for awhile. I’ve decreased my weights a bit and have been doing low impact only, and just keeping it easier. That’s all I can do at this point! It’s reassuring knowing their are others in my shoes for sure!

Sorry, I’m just now reading this!!! I’m now 15 weeks and doing a little better. I’m not as nauseous but still pretty tired but slightly better than I was. I’m at least feeling more like myself which is good, because it really sucked for awhile. I’ve decreased my weights a bit and have been doing low impact only, and just keeping it easier. That’s all I can do at this point! It’s reassuring knowing their are others in my shoes for sure!

I’m glad you are feeling better! The fatigue sucks. I’m getting so winded during my workouts which is making cardio difficult. Oh well. It’s a short time span. It will be next year before we know it and we will be back to our regular routines. Please keep checking in. It’s nice having people to talk to they can relate

1 step forward, 2 steps back. I was feeling great yesterday. Worked out for a whole hour! I did ICE kickbox with muscle meltdown triceps. My son was up all night throwing up last night :( This morning I was going to do another ice w/ muscle meltdown. It just didn’t happen. Ugh

1 step forward, 2 steps back. I was feeling great yesterday. Worked out for a whole hour! I did ICE kickbox with muscle meltdown triceps. My son was up all night throwing up last night :( This morning I was going to do another ice w/ muscle meltdown. It just didn’t happen. Ugh

Ugh.......sorry to hear you had a rough night. I hope your son is feeling better. I ended up with a migraine yesterday which carried on into today. Managed to work half a day and slept most of the afternoon. No workout for me either. Hopefully tomorrow we will both feel better. I’m finding I’m having a harder time motivating myself to workout this pregnancy. I’m just tired lol

Hi Ladies -
I'm happy to report that I survived my dreaded work trip last week. By some miracle my nausea subsided a lot! I did add B6 to my regime of nausea-busting natural remedies. Silly me thought that maybe that was going to be it for the nausea, but it came back yesterday with a vengeance! Woke up this morning still miserable so I decided to work from home. So lucky to be able to do that from time to time with my job. I am proud to say that I did find it in me to do a workout during my "lunch hour". I did a Cathe Live -- Low Impact Conditioning Express which clocked in at a nice 37 minutes ( I didn't think I had it in me to do much longer than that).

On Wednesday I'll move into my 10th week so I'm just praying the end of this nausea is in sight. I couldn't imagine feeling this way the entire nine months! :( I'm 39 so part of me wonders if that is why my nausea and exhaustion is so bad. Karie - I keep reminding myself what you said, a year from now we will all be back to our normal routines and that I won't feel like this forever. LOL. I look forward to that day!!!

Hi Ladies -
I'm happy to report that I survived my dreaded work trip last week. By some miracle my nausea subsided a lot! I did add B6 to my regime of nausea-busting natural remedies. Silly me thought that maybe that was going to be it for the nausea, but it came back yesterday with a vengeance! Woke up this morning still miserable so I decided to work from home. So lucky to be able to do that from time to time with my job. I am proud to say that I did find it in me to do a workout during my "lunch hour". I did a Cathe Live -- Low Impact Conditioning Express which clocked in at a nice 37 minutes ( I didn't think I had it in me to do much longer than that).

On Wednesday I'll move into my 10th week so I'm just praying the end of this nausea is in sight. I couldn't imagine feeling this way the entire nine months! :( I'm 39 so part of me wonders if that is why my nausea and exhaustion is so bad. Karie - I keep reminding myself what you said, a year from now we will all be back to our normal routines and that I won't feel like this forever. LOL. I look forward to that day!!!

Well at least your starting to have a few good days in there. Pregnancy is hard. I’m definitely not one that loves being pregnant lol. That’s a great sign your well on your way to getting past the nausea. It’s great you are still working out. Even if it’s just a walk, it keeps you in the habit of exercising.

Today I’m 14 weeks and haven’t been nauseous in the past week and a half so I think I’m good . I have my monthly check up tomorrow and I’m excited to hear my little mans heartbeat again.

For workouts I did a studio sweat on demand Spin Sculpt workout Monday, Tuesday was Ice Metabolic Total Body and today was a rest day. Tomorrow will be some type of leg workout.

Hope you guys are having a good week so far.

I discovered sea bands on the last week I was nauseous. They seemed to work well!!

Glad to hear you guys are hanging in there! I’m going to be 17 weeks tomorrow. Still get tired but much better than I was! Life has been a little nutty so workouts have been sort of short but I’m getting them in. I got Yoga Burn this week but my belly is already starting to get in the way! I’m barely showing but moves like forward fold are not quite as deep, and laying flat on my back or stomach is getting uncomfortable. I can’t remember what modifications I used to use when I was pregnant with my son. It’s crazy how I forget stuff!

Hi Ladies! This week the nausea has definitely been on the rougher side. As of Wednesday, I'm officially at ten weeks so I'm praying the end is near. Funny that you mention Sea Bands, Shannon--I bought some of those for my work trip two weeks ago and they did seem to work a little for me. I tried them again on Monday when the nausea came back with a vengeance and unfortunately they weren't as helpful. I need to pull them out and try them again. Maybe I just didn't have the placement right on Monday. I cannot wait to start feeling better. I've had so many friends and coworkers tell me this week that they were some of the lucky ones that never felt sick during their pregnancies. I know they don't mean anything by those statements, but when you are feeling sick as a dog it's really the last thing I want to hear. LOL.

Despite how bad I've been feeling by some miracle I've still been keeping up with my workouts. On days that I've been especially nauseous I have found that strength based workouts have worked best for me. I did both upper body Burn Set workouts this week. I like these traditional weight lifting style workouts that allow for a little rest in between sets (perfect for days when I'm moving a little slower). On my lower body day I did an old Cathe Live lower body strength workout from 2016. Yesterday when I finished up Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's I was feeling a little better than usual and felt like I still had a little more gas in the tank. I didn't want to commit to anything too long so I went on the search for something on the shorter side to add to the end of my workout. Decided to do Transform 15 on Beachbody On Demand. It's one of the beginner workouts to Shaun T's Transform 20 program. It was the perfect finisher for my workout--only 15 minutes, little bit of cardio, but at a nice doable pace. Non-pregnant me probably would have thought this workout was too easy, but prego me thought it was perfect. :) Today I'm hoping to get in a metabolic or bootcamp style workout in for a little more cardio effect, but it'll all depend on how I feel.

Hope you both have a very nice Easter weekend! We are announcing the pregnancy to our families this weekend so we're really excited about that! We have his family tonight and mine tomorrow. I'm just praying I can keep my nausea at bay enough to enjoy the family get togethers!

Hi Ladies! This week the nausea has definitely been on the rougher side. As of Wednesday, I'm officially at ten weeks so I'm praying the end is near. Funny that you mention Sea Bands, Shannon--I bought some of those for my work trip two weeks ago and they did seem to work a little for me. I tried them again on Monday when the nausea came back with a vengeance and unfortunately they weren't as helpful. I need to pull them out and try them again. Maybe I just didn't have the placement right on Monday. I cannot wait to start feeling better. I've had so many friends and coworkers tell me this week that they were some of the lucky ones that never felt sick during their pregnancies. I know they don't mean anything by those statements, but when you are feeling sick as a dog it's really the last thing I want to hear. LOL.

Despite how bad I've been feeling by some miracle I've still been keeping up with my workouts. On days that I've been especially nauseous I have found that strength based workouts have worked best for me. I did both upper body Burn Set workouts this week. I like these traditional weight lifting style workouts that allow for a little rest in between sets (perfect for days when I'm moving a little slower). On my lower body day I did an old Cathe Live lower body strength workout from 2016. Yesterday when I finished up Burn Sets Bi's and Tri's I was feeling a little better than usual and felt like I still had a little more gas in the tank. I didn't want to commit to anything too long so I went on the search for something on the shorter side to add to the end of my workout. Decided to do Transform 15 on Beachbody On Demand. It's one of the beginner workouts to Shaun T's Transform 20 program. It was the perfect finisher for my workout--only 15 minutes, little bit of cardio, but at a nice doable pace. Non-pregnant me probably would have thought this workout was too easy, but prego me thought it was perfect. :) Today I'm hoping to get in a metabolic or bootcamp style workout in for a little more cardio effect, but it'll all depend on how I feel.

Hope you both have a very nice Easter weekend! We are announcing the pregnancy to our families this weekend so we're really excited about that! We have his family tonight and mine tomorrow. I'm just praying I can keep my nausea at bay enough to enjoy the family get togethers!
Good for you keeping up on the workouts! I would say that’s a major accomplishment. Happy Easter! Enjoy your announcement!

I discovered sea bands on the last week I was nauseous. They seemed to work well!!

Glad to hear you guys are hanging in there! I’m going to be 17 weeks tomorrow. Still get tired but much better than I was! Life has been a little nutty so workouts have been sort of short but I’m getting them in. I got Yoga Burn this week but my belly is already starting to get in the way! I’m barely showing but moves like forward fold are not quite as deep, and laying flat on my back or stomach is getting uncomfortable. I can’t remember what modifications I used to use when I was pregnant with my son. It’s crazy how I forget stuff!

I wish I knew about those sea bands when I was feeling so green! I would have tried ANYTHING to feel better. How do you like yoga burn? Is it challenging? I’m having mental blocks with certain workouts knowing that eventually I won’t be able to perform them because of my belly. Makes me lose motivation. Almost like what’s the point?

So exciting announcing the pregnancy! So much fun! I hope you are feeling better this weekend. 12 weeks was the turning point for me with the nausea. You are doing great with your workouts! I felt the same regarding strength workouts. They were much more tolerable when I was feeling crappy.
Workouts are definitely feeling more challenging then before. Sometimes I get frustrated because I’m so used to pushing myself and not needing breaks.

Yesterday I just couldn’t do another cardio workout online and had to get out for a jog. I finished out my week with Thursday Butts and Guts (skipped the abs section) and Friday Ice Low Impact Sweat. Yesterday I just couldn’t bear to look at another online video so I Did a nice 3 mile jog and it felt so good! Happy Easter!

Hi Ladies - Week 11 is proven to be much better for me. I don't want to jinx it but I kinda feel like I may be turning a corner. I still have waves of nausea but it's definitely not as constant as it has been the last few weeks. Praying this continues!!! I have a one night work trip next week (this will be my last work trip for the year--yahoo!). Cannot wait to get it over with! I looked at the agenda that they sent out earlier today and they have lunch scheduled for 3:45pm on the first day!!! How absurd is that!?!? Clearly this prego cannot wait until nearly 4pm to have lunch so I'll be getting my lunch from the airport when we land that morning and will bring it with me along with plenty of snacks!

Yesterday I was feeling extra good in the morning so I decided to try some cardio. I did Cardio Party from the new LITE series. It was definitely easier than what my pre-pregnancy self would do, but I actually enjoyed it. It moved at a slower pace that actually worked for me right now so I didn't have to take any breaks. I can see myself revisiting this workout as my belly gets bigger. While it's not 100% low impact the moves are easy enough to modify. I was feeling so good yesterday that I decided to add on the calorie crush segment. I'm sad to report that I didn't really enjoy the calorie crush as much as I would have liked. She has you pull out a step for this segment and in traditional Cathe fashion you go through a step routine 6 times and then into a blast which you also repeat 6 times. You follow this pattern for four rounds total. I thought the blasts were fine, but the step routines moved really fast with virtually no breakdown. I'm sure if I did this workout a few more times through and was more familiar with the routine I'd be fine with it, but doing it the first time I just got annoyed with the lack of breaking down the moves. After the second step routine I gave up and decided to just do my own thing on the step until it was time for the blasts. LOL. Today I did PHA from Strong and Sweaty. Her PHA workouts are some of my favorites since they get you into that cardio strength zone without having you do any true cardio moves or blasts.

Karie-I'm so jealous that you've been getting out and jogging! I've been an avid runner in the past but have really gotten out of it over the last year or two. I don't know what it would feel like for me if I tried to go on a jog now. I mean pre-pregnancy me was used to doing a wide variety of cardio exercises (hiit, les mills body step, peak fit, etc.) so my cardio capacity shouldn't be terrible, but prego me sometimes gets winded just going up the stairs nowadays...LOL! I'm envious of you running mamas though! :)

Hope you ladies are having a great week!

Jury is still out on Yoga Burn. Before I got pregnant, i wanted to incorporate more yoga into my routine. I have been lifting weights with Cathe for over a decade and to do any upper body exercises that just require body weight is still such a challenge. I did a class at a work event that had an instructor from Core Power Yoga and it was amazing. Sweaty, heart rate pumping, and tons of upper body work. I want that class again and I haven’t been able to find it!

I have a work trip coming up too. It’s going to be exhausting, but it’s going to be at the beach and my son is coming so I’m pretty excited.

I did PHA yesterday too. I like getting my heart rate up without a lot of jumping! Today I didn’t have a lot of time do I did low impact tabata twice. Tomorrow, yoga burn again.

Hi Ladies - Week 11 is proven to be much better for me. I don't want to jinx it but I kinda feel like I may be turning a corner. I still have waves of nausea but it's definitely not as constant as it has been the last few weeks. Praying this continues!!! I have a one night work trip next week (this will be my last work trip for the year--yahoo!). Cannot wait to get it over with! I looked at the agenda that they sent out earlier today and they have lunch scheduled for 3:45pm on the first day!!! How absurd is that!?!? Clearly this prego cannot wait until nearly 4pm to have lunch so I'll be getting my lunch from the airport when we land that morning and will bring it with me along with plenty of snacks!

Yesterday I was feeling extra good in the morning so I decided to try some cardio. I did Cardio Party from the new LITE series. It was definitely easier than what my pre-pregnancy self would do, but I actually enjoyed it. It moved at a slower pace that actually worked for me right now so I didn't have to take any breaks. I can see myself revisiting this workout as my belly gets bigger. While it's not 100% low impact the moves are easy enough to modify. I was feeling so good yesterday that I decided to add on the calorie crush segment. I'm sad to report that I didn't really enjoy the calorie crush as much as I would have liked. She has you pull out a step for this segment and in traditional Cathe fashion you go through a step routine 6 times and then into a blast which you also repeat 6 times. You follow this pattern for four rounds total. I thought the blasts were fine, but the step routines moved really fast with virtually no breakdown. I'm sure if I did this workout a few more times through and was more familiar with the routine I'd be fine with it, but doing it the first time I just got annoyed with the lack of breaking down the moves. After the second step routine I gave up and decided to just do my own thing on the step until it was time for the blasts. LOL. Today I did PHA from Strong and Sweaty. Her PHA workouts are some of my favorites since they get you into that cardio strength zone without having you do any true cardio moves or blasts.

Karie-I'm so jealous that you've been getting out and jogging! I've been an avid runner in the past but have really gotten out of it over the last year or two. I don't know what it would feel like for me if I tried to go on a jog now. I mean pre-pregnancy me was used to doing a wide variety of cardio exercises (hiit, les mills body step, peak fit, etc.) so my cardio capacity shouldn't be terrible, but prego me sometimes gets winded just going up the stairs nowadays...LOL! I'm envious of you running mamas though! :)

Hope you ladies are having a great week!
I’m glad to hear you are feeling better each day. That’s great you don’t have to worry about traveling anymore for work after this last one. I’d imagine that gets tiresome.

I’m not a huge fan of step though I wish I were. I have trouble with choreography and get easily frustrated when I can’t get the combinations right making me feel like I’m wasting my workout time.

I hadn’t ran since last August and was surprised how my cardio endurance was well maintained with all my other cardio workouts. I ran until 18 weeks with my daughter but then had to stop because the pressure on my bladder was too annoying. I’m at 15.5 weeks now so we’ll see what happens. I’ve been doing 3 three mile runs per week which take me about 30 minutes. My husband and I used to run 6 miles multiple times a week. I miss doing that with him.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.