STS to lose weight

jaz050465

hi
I read so much conflicting stuff about this. I want to lose about 10-15 pounds of fat.
I love using weights and HATE indoor cardio - although I don't mind running.
What's the best way for me to lose fat and how much of a deficit should I be, calorie wise.

Hi There,

I read so much conflicting stuff about this. I want to lose about 10-15 pounds of fat.
I love using weights and HATE indoor cardio - although I don't mind running.
What's the best way for me to lose fat and how much of a deficit should I be, calorie wise.

My 2 cents/penny about fat loss is to combine resistance training and cardio. Successful fat loss campaign is mainly about
changing body composition. That said, you can pretty much gain the result from any good resistance-cardio program which
does not advise excessive cardio ratio compared to resistance training. You can resistance train by using your own body weight.

That said I suggest you either search various previous thread on the subject on here in the forum or hire a COMPETENT personal
trainer. Just please ensure you take from what is based on science, anatomy and physiology. EDUCATION is important. I would stay away from any comment made out of personal preference and/or Myth about lifting Heavy --- Especially hypertrophy. Just like you I have heard about this "Bulk" Regardless of the connotation the meaning has. Fact is MUSCLE require water. There is a possibility to gain some water after a hypertrophy cycle. Especially if you are new to lifting 75, 80 or over per cent rep max. This water is what "some" folks call fat gain. The same fat "disappear" once the exerciser switch to another type of rotation, So logically fat can only disappear from a calory deficit and training. 70-80% from NUTRITION. So this temporary "fat gain"does not make sense IMO.

That said you have previously had good reply from your own thread asking about fat loss:):)

Here is the link

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/sts-vs-chalean-extreme.292822/

All the very best:);)

Last edited:
Thank you so much. I didn't realise there was the responses on my other post too.
I think I've been deduced by the Beachbody type before and after photos that try to say you can get results quickly. Going for long term change seems so much more sensible.
The other confusion I have is with the calories. Do I need an excess to build muscle but a deficit to lose fat. Therefor how should I be eating. Thanks

Sorry, I posted a response to your interesting question under the 'Ask Cathe' thread in error. Should have posted here.
Some great suggestions and links from Nathalie. YES, education is power...and is CRITICAL. Thanks.

Going for slow, well-earned results through a balanced, sound program, is the only way to lasting results, as Cathe always advocates!

Thank you so much. I didn't realise there was the responses on my other post too.
I think I've been deduced by the Beachbody type before and after photos that try to say you can get results quickly. Going for long term change seems so much more sensible.
The other confusion I have is with the calories. Do I need an excess to build muscle but a deficit to lose fat. Therefor how should I be eating. Thanks

Just to add to what I have quoted before, here is a link of an article. This article can roughly give you an idea of calories consumption.

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/nutrition/diets-for-fat-loss-nutrition/break-through-your-plateau/

It is entirely up to you to choose for counting calories or not.
In my experience counting was an eye opener! For both over and under consumption:eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You will learn from trial and error. We all do learn.You won't know it works till you try within a reasonable timescale.

All the best:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice. Sorry - one more question. If I don't have time, could I cut down the length of the STS workouts. Or how does XTrain compare. I know it has cardio too but how to the strength workouts compare to STS - thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for the great advice. Sorry - one more question. If I don't have time, could I cut down the length of the STS workouts. Or how does XTrain compare. I know it has cardio too but how to the strength workouts compare to STS - thanks

I suggest shorter x-train or RwH series. Beth has given you good suggestion in link below.

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/a-shorter-version-of-sts.303351/#post-2343101

Here is macronutrients calculator. I thought you may need it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/macronutrients_calculator.htm?mcid=SM_facenutrition

Should I do X train or Ripped with HIIT.

I suggest you do it in this order:

• weight segment from Xtrain. Disc#1 and Disc#2
  • Burnset weight segment from xtrain
  • Weight segment from Ripped with Hiit
Then do a circuit rotation for 4 weeks. Cathe has tons of rotation you can choose from.

Kind Regards:)

Hi There,

My 2 cents/penny about fat loss is to combine resistance training and cardio. Successful fat loss campaign is mainly about
changing body composition. That said, you can pretty much gain the result from any good resistance-cardio program which
does not advise excessive cardio ratio compared to resistance training. You can resistance train by using your own body weight.

That said I suggest you either search various previous thread on the subject on here in the forum or hire a COMPETENT personal
trainer. Just please ensure you take from what is based on science, anatomy and physiology. EDUCATION is important. I would stay away from any comment made out of personal preference and/or Myth about lifting Heavy --- Especially hypertrophy. Just like you I have heard about this "Bulk" Regardless of the connotation the meaning has. Fact is MUSCLE require water. There is a possibility to gain some water after a hypertrophy cycle. Especially if you are new to lifting 75, 80 or over per cent rep max. This water is what "some" folks call fat gain. The same fat "disappear" once the exerciser switch to another type of rotation, So logically fat can only disappear from a calory deficit and training. 70-80% from NUTRITION. So this temporary "fat gain"does not make sense IMO.

That said you have previously had good reply from your own thread asking about fat loss:):)

Here is the link

http://cathe.com/forum/threads/sts-vs-chalean-extreme.292822/

All the very best:);)

Good read. Since you have been on the forum longer than I have, do you know a good thread, etc. to read about a good clean eating regime while working out with Cathe? I'm 51 and looking to lose 15 lbs. Thank you for your time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.