Holding Heavy Weights Help

Newwmn3

Cathlete
Hi fellow Cathletes! I have just completed Week 2 of the STS series and am loving every second. I am, however, having a very hard time holding on to the heavy dumbbells during leg work. I am very small (5'3, 103 lbs) and have tiny hands. I use 2 35 lb dumbbells for deadlifts and 40s for squats but I have a VERY difficult time holding onto the weights long enough to finish the set. My legs don't tire and my forearms handle it pretty well but my grip falters terribly. I'm afraid that my tiny hands are causing the issue and am not sure what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am going to pose this same question to Cathe and hope that someone can give me some guidance. Thank you! :)

Christin

Do you use lifting gloves? That might give you the grip you need.

Great thought. Yes, I have tried that and, unfortunately, it makes it even tougher for me because it reduces my grip even further. (It puts an additional layer in between the dumbbell and my hand.)

Ooo! I am not familiar with weight lifting straps. What kind do you have? How do they work?

My straps are so old, I don't have a clue? I think we bought ours in Germany. I am pretty sure, they sell them on amazon or any sports store. The streps do make a difference, I am 5'1.

That's not a stupid question:) They should come with instructions. I'll see if I can find instructions on how to use them for you. Give me a minute, ok!

Hi christin,
I agree with lrusso. You consider adding a weighted vest. It does come in handy while doing STS.

This would enable you not to lift heavy barbell over your head.

Any load over 30-35 kg, especially for your mass and height would compromise safety. Especially if you are working out with no one spotting you.

You can add the vest later when you are ready to for heavy loads though.

[
I do have the vest, it's great for squats. But not for one arm rows and so on :)

Awesome! What weight do you ladies use for the vest? I think that it would help a ton for squats, lunges, etc. Now, if someone could please just invent one that would help with rows, etc., we'll be all set!:p

[

Awesome! What weight do you ladies use for the vest? I think that it would help a ton for squats, lunges, etc. Now, if someone could please just invent one that would help with rows, etc., we'll be all set!:p

Like I said, I have the Cathe vest but hardly use it. I love my barbell. I prefer dumbbells and my barbell. Use the straps for rows. I use the strap when I go heavy like 45 pounds1 arm row and up. Like

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.