Late October vacation ideas??

Stacy

Cathlete
Hubby and I are looking for a nice late October vacation spot. We've done New England, upstate NY before. We have a week so don't really want to travel outside of the US and waste too many days traveling. We're open to a fun city, or a quiet hiking location, or kayaking. Not sure what we even want to do yet. We don't like big crowds and we're not wine drinkers so not interested in places like Napa etc. We've seen alot of the National Parks, ie. Yellowstone, Yosemite, Rocky Mtns.

Thanks for any ideas!

MOAB, UTAH! Beautiful red rock hiking. Some of the best trail biking in the US. Beautiful sandstone scenery. My avatar is from the Moab area. It will not be 100 degrees in late October.
Can you tell I love Moab? Whatever you choose, have fun!:)

I second the Utah idea!
Canyonlands National Park awesome!
Zion national Park is beautiful!

I live in Northern Utah and it has just as many hiking, biking, camping & outdoor activities
as the southern part of the State
I love it here!

Christie

I Luv SoCal

My guy & I are going to Palm Springs in September. He loves the golf & I love the spas! The Palm Springs Ariel Tramway takes you up 9,000 feet to Mt. San Jacinto & the views of the dessert valley are incredible. This state park offers 54 miles of hiking trails located within a 14,000 acre pristine wilderness in California. We also take day trips to Idyllwild, the cutest little town and another point of entry to explore the many hiking trails of San Jacinto State Park. I love that it is 85 & sunny on the dessert floor sitting by the pool & looking up at the mountains, where its a high of 50 during the day, you can see snow! Joshua Tree National Park is very unique, & a must see if you are ever in the area. We haven't been to California since 2010 & are really looking forward to our trip.

Have fun planning your vacation!

I second the Utah idea!
Canyonlands National Park awesome!
Zion national Park is beautiful!

I live in Northern Utah and it has just as many hiking, biking, camping & outdoor activities
as the southern part of the State
I love it here!

Christie

Yes, I was going to suggest the 4 corners area: Zion and Bryce Canyon are fabulous places. Southern Colorado has Mesa Verde NP: love it. Great camping, anthropology, history all rolled in.

Clare

MOAB ALL THE WAY!!!!! :eek:
Fantastic landscapes, great temperatures!!!! Superb hiking! Loved it there!

I second the idea of visiting Cape May, NJ, which offers an historic district with lots of Victorian houses and the beach but is quiet at that time of year. Years ago I stayed at The Chalfonte (Chalfonte Hotel Historic Cape May NJ Accommodations, Cape May Weddings, Family Dining), an historic hotel with a veranda (picture yourselves on rocking chairs) before it was purchased and renovated by the current owners making it kind of pricey. It's a great location in the historic district near the beach and has a restaurant with southern cooking (e.g., fried chicken, spoon bread). There are other B&B options there too. The Mainstay Inn (Cape May Bed and Breakfast ? Mainstay Inn) is another highly regarded B&B but it is also pricey and it is fussier than the Chalfonte. Thinking about Cape May makes me want to return soon.

San Diego is really terrific during the fall months. We stayed on Coronado Island last year--during the week prior to Thanksgiving--and it was one of the best trips we've ever taken. The weather was perfect, the crowds were minimal, and the hotels were all offering screaming deals!

Also like to go to Hawaii during the fall months. Sometimes you hit a rainy patch, but there aren't as many tourists as during the summer months and the weather is still overall quite enjoyable.

Can you tell I'm a beach girl? :D

Lisa

Go to your local newstand, pick up this month's copy of Runnersworld, open it to page 7, the Rave Run section: how can you doubt Zion National Park is the place for you?!?!?!?!

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.