BE BACK IN A BIT

LOL Clare. How cute.

I have two boys. Eric just turned 13 a few days ago (Dec 29th) and is loving being a teen. He is also loving rubbing it in his brother Kyle's face. Kyle is 10 and very tall for his age (in fact he is only centimeters shorter than Eric) so Kyle loves rubbing that right back in his face. I'm sure all moms can relate to this sibling ribbing.

Kyle finished his first year of football (he previously always played soccer) and Eric played soccer. Those seasons ended and now they both are well into their basketball season. After basketball they will do jujitsu (they both used to play baseball for 5 to 6 years and fell out of love with it).

Santa was good to Kyle (Kyle still believes or he is a good faker ;)) and gave him lots of things on his list (mostly electronics and DS and WII games) and Eric who pretends to believe in Santa (when Kyle is around ;)) got his XBOX 360 Halo bundle along with some other electronics.

So kind of you to ask about my kids....give your girls a hug from me :)

Hi Cathe:

how are your boys? How old are they now? Are they into soccer, football, cross country? What did they get for Xmas?!!? Tell us all!

There are a million women on these forums who know intimately the expression "I've just got to run the kids over to x, y, z," and all it entails!

My daughters are now teens and have no interest in learning to drive themselves about, so I am still uttering that phrase and will be for a while...

Hope you are having some time to kick back with your boys over the holidays. Enjoy!

Clare

Thank you Rosanna! I'm thrilled you are enjoying XTRAIN and how fun that you know AL. He is one of the sweetest most generous men I know. He works hard and takes all my classes at the gym. I'll tell him we chatted next time I see him :)

I am so excited to get started with the 30 day strength/cardio rotation. I started today and loved it. I also did SuperCuts yesterday and I feel stronger already. Cathe, thank for yet another superbly done program. I went to grade school with Al, so funny to see him in one of your videos.
Although my user name is Lina, Al knows me by Rosanna
Happy Healthy New Year to you and your family.

Do you mean blue tubing or the actual band without handles on it (I interchange those words myself all the time :))? Bands do get stretchier in time but not enough to wear it will go down a whole level in tension. If it just feels way too hard use hand weights instead. Or you could step on one side of the band and do a one arm overhead extension.

Hi Cathe, is it that I'm weak or is it that my new medium blue resistance band is so new that I could not do the triceps extension with the band. It felt as though I would break it if I pushed it. If it's cause it is new, how can I stretch it out some, or is this cheating? Thank you ever so much!

Hi Cathe, is it that I'm weak or is it that my new medium blue resistance band is so new that I could not do the triceps extension with the band. It felt as though I would break it if I pushed it. If it's cause it is new, how can I stretch it out some, or is this cheating? Thank you ever so much!

Hi, I'm not Cathe, but I used my band today and I automatically reached for the blue one because that is what she is using, but in my box, blue is actually the most resistant. Red was the medium resistance.

Elizabeth

Hi Natasha....The reason I didn't want anyone to put their head back is because without knowing the exact angle you are in or how high your bench is, putting your head back could be very awkward and place stress in the wrong places. If it feels perfectly natural for your head to be resting on the step and you don't feel it inhibits your glute thrust in any way, then go ahead and do it. If it does feel awkward, then put a firm pillow on the step to assist with your neck and upper back support. Good Luck...

Loving Xtrain Cathe!

My question is about the barbell hip thrusts. My neck was quite fatigued after the 40th rep. I had to stop early, not so much because my glutes were fatigued, but because my neck just could not hold up any longer. My instinct was to just place my head on the step and continue, but I know this is not correct form. Is this common and normal?

Thank you greatly!

Natasha

Hi Tina. I don't recommend doing them on a stability ball because you are putting up some serious weight and if you roll or shift on the ball and lose your balance (especially as you fatigue) you can get very hurt.

As far as doing an STS/XTRAIN rotation, we actually attempted to do this when making the rotations for the Users Guide and found it to be too difficult because the layout of the muscle groups between the two programs are not conducive to interchanging. It would be hard to rest a given muscle group because of the way they are grouped in each program. Great question though.

Great question Natasha! I stopped at 40 yesterday as well, due to neck fatigue. Cathe, could these be done on a stability ball?

My question is, do you think there will be an STS/Xtrain undulating rotation in the future?

Thanks,

Tina : )

Hi Cathe,
Sending healing energy to your dad and hoping he is getting better and stronger every day.Thanks for sharing about your boys. They sound like dedicated athletes. Maybe we'll be working out with them one day!;)

I apologize in advance if you have already addressed this, but I'm not quite sure how to incorporate the 100 Rep challenges into my workout. I am doing the 90 day undulating rotation, and I initially thought it would be best to add them on to the workout they were included in, but I noticed that if I did that, it would mean I was working the same muscle group two days in a row. For example, Hard Strikes was scheduled for me yesterday, and that had the bicep and tricep challenges, but those were my workouts scheduled for today, so I did not do them. What was your vision for us for incorporating these when you designed the program? I could mix and match, obviously, but I'd like to hear your thoughts if you have time.

Also, I am loving the new series so far and I am so excited to do the 90 day rotation. I just finished STS last month and was wondering what to do next, and this is the perfect transition for me.

Thanks again for continuing to produce awesome workouts. I am going to be in the best shape ever when I turn 40 in 2014, and that's because your workouts are fun and challenging, and always engaging. It encourages me to push myself.

Take care and all the best to you and your family in 2013!
Eva

Hi Carolyn! The Glute Thruster is a move that definitely takes some getting used to with form and technique. Your toe turn out is not as important as keeping your knees still. Your bench height will dictate how low you can bring your hips down to lift into a good squeeze. 3 risers is usually a good height to get this glute squeeze. It's probably best to use a very light weight or perhaps even no weight and just go through the motion SUPER SLOW and work on your technique to find that perfect glute recruitment before going for the weight.

For the clam yes, put your legs in that 90 angle or as close to it as you can comfortably get and then lift and lower your ENTIRE body in the side plank position. Your range of motion through your hips as well as your outter hip strength with dictate how fluid you are doing this. That's why we all look so different doing it. This was not Cedies favorite exercise ;)
Btw, even though you didn't ask about this, your top knee does not need to open up to the ceiling. It just needs to remain forward with a slight upward tilt (even in the highest position). If it goes higher it is ok but it doesn't make the move anymore effective than keeping it forward.

Good luck :)

Im wondering if I had my toes turned out too far during the hip thrusts...I felt it tremendously in my inner thighs, groin, and hip flexors. I used 40 lbs and only made it to 75:eek:.
I thought I would feel it more in the glutes than I actually did. Did I have bad form?

On the clam shell exercise I was very confused on my form! Were my legs supposed to be bent out in front of me in a 90 degree bend, and then lift yourself up into side plank? I felt like you were moving your whole body, but Cede was opening and closing just her leg. It didn't seem like she had as much movement in the bottom hip. I hope you understand what I am saying! This is really hard to explain!

Thanks,
Carolyn

Hi Chris....for a substitute exercise (although not quite as effective) you can sit upright on the floor with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Put the firewalker loop around both legs (more toward your knees) and stretch the band laterally as you open and close your knees. Do pulses for 15 and one. Work your way to 4 sets of 15/1 pulses. Good Luck!

Hi Cathe!

I can't even say how much I am in love with Xtrain so far!! Thank you!!

My question is , I did the Clam Shell exercise on Legs today. I have the biggest issue with exercises where I'm using my arm/shoulder for support. I end up getting too much discomfort in my shoulder. (Which I'm sure means I'm holding the position wrong). The question is, is there a good substitute for this move that I could do and work the same area? Or a modification?

Thanks,
Chris

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words Eva.

Regarding the 100 rep challenge, I just wanted to include them for you to have a challenge on muscle groups that either have a particular weakness and you want a little extra push there, or to do them because you want to strengthen that muscle group so that it makes your surrounding muscle groups stronger too, or you just want to tack them onto an existing workout that already uses that muscle group for the ULTIMATE challenge or you can use them to just pull out on occasion and do each one of them alone for a short yet very challenging workout for that one particular muscle group.

Perhaps in another series I will expand on this concept ;)

Hi Cathe,
Sending healing energy to your dad and hoping he is getting better and stronger every day.Thanks for sharing about your boys. They sound like dedicated athletes. Maybe we'll be working out with them one day!;)

I apologize in advance if you have already addressed this, but I'm not quite sure how to incorporate the 100 Rep challenges into my workout. I am doing the 90 day undulating rotation, and I initially thought it would be best to add them on to the workout they were included in, but I noticed that if I did that, it would mean I was working the same muscle group two days in a row. For example, Hard Strikes was scheduled for me yesterday, and that had the bicep and tricep challenges, but those were my workouts scheduled for today, so I did not do them. What was your vision for us for incorporating these when you designed the program? I could mix and match, obviously, but I'd like to hear your thoughts if you have time.

Also, I am loving the new series so far and I am so excited to do the 90 day rotation. I just finished STS last month and was wondering what to do next, and this is the perfect transition for me.

Thanks again for continuing to produce awesome workouts. I am going to be in the best shape ever when I turn 40 in 2014, and that's because your workouts are fun and challenging, and always engaging. It encourages me to push myself.

Take care and all the best to you and your family in 2013!
Eva

Aw, thank you Shannon!

As far as using your road bike on an indoor trainer, I have never experienced that personally so I don't know how to address what you are feeling on that bike set up. But I can tell you what you are describing is pretty much the same sensation as an indoor cycle bike. There are a couple of songs in RIDE that we do light to medium fast standing and that will tire the hip flexors if you are not used to it. It will also make your form suffer and your knees start to give way if you push it when you are fatigued....so yes, by all means, add tension on that fly wheel to help support your body weight. I think I mention to do that too throughout the workout too.

Good Luck and Stay Strong!!!

Hi Cathe, I have a question about Ride. I use my road bike on an indoor trainer (that I got for Christmas! I am pretty new to indoor cycling. Have been at it for about a month). I cannot keep up with the standing parts at all. I can stand for about a min and I am super winded and my hip flexors are exhausted. I find it easier to stand when I have my bike on a high gear so there is a lot of tension. Is it me being a weakling, or is it my bike because its not a spin bike?

Also, I wanted to thank you and everyone involved in creating X-train. I cant get over how great the whole program is. I am a huge fan of the Low Impact Series, and I didnt think you would be able to top that series, but I think you have! You should be so proud of yourself!

Hi Toomuchjoy!

Congrat's on your weight loss. They will all work fine but the main 90 day undulating is the main rotation if you want to start with that. If you prefer more low impact than you can do the rotation that mixes LIS with XTRAIN.

Have fun :)

Hi Cathe!

Just got XTrain today! Woo!

Trying to decide what rotation to do. I am an intermediate exerciser. My main goal is to lose weight (lost 40lbs last year...need to lose another 30 or so). What would be the best rotation for this? I also have LIS bundle.

Thanks!
Toomuchjoy

Hi Chosen! Plica inflammation is very complicated and unfortunately sometimes surgery is needed to snip the fibrous band of scar tissue that tends to keep thickening with exercises that irritate it. I would keep an eye on this condition with your doctor. I really can't recommend any exercises to substitute because it really wouldn't be the same exercise as a lunge itself. You said lateral lunges don't bother you so you can continue doing them for now but be cautious and don't go too deeply in your lunges. Being that you have an active injury and one that is tricky, I would feel better if you consulted with your doctor and or physical therapist for suggestions to help you so that you don't continue to inflame your condition. Sorry I can't be of more help to you. But good luck and stay on top of this condition.

Please forgive the repetitive posts :eek: I'm just really hoping for Cathe to see this! Good thing I saved it in word :p

I’ll start this by saying that I’m so thankful for how you make yourself available to us. It makes so much of a difference knowing that you allow yourself to be approachable by all of us :) Being able to get a chance to ask you a question has brought me out of lurkdom!
My problem/question is this: I injured myself back in June on my knee doing reverse lunges. Long story short, after a few months of <100% functionality (lunges still hurt), I saw a doc, was diagnosed with plica inflammation, have been to physical therapy consistently since Sept. and have found out about several different things that could have contributed to the injury (all very specific to my body- i.e. extraordinarily weak hips/glutes, extremely mobile patella, etc.) If I do one lunge, my knee is really angry with me! :( I ABSOLUTLEY LOVE using your workouts but I get hung up sometimes because most of them have some form of lunges in them, and I have a hard time trying to figure out a substitution for the lunges. I was wondering if you could suggest some moves that would be a good substitution. A few of the exercises/workouts that I’m thinking of are: Hiit DWP (power scissors), static lunges (any weight dvd), the reverse lunges combined with arm exercises (like in AfterBurn), dixie cup lunges, reverse lunges in Slide & Glide, and power scissors and/or front & reverse lunges during step routines. I've also seen some lunges in the Xtrain Low Impact Hiit. Somehow the only lunges that don’t affect me adversely are lateral lunges. Thanks for reading! :D

*sigh* :( I've been trying to post a version of this all day. I don't think the forum likes me.

Hoping to get this question to Cathe: I have a bum knee from an injury in June 2012. Been working with physical therapy but I still cannot do lunges without subsequent pain. Would it be possible to suggest some modification moves for lunges in Xtrain All Out Hiit and Tabatacise? All lunges except lateral lunges are a no-go :( May I also ask for modifications for lunges in Slide & Glide, dixie cup lunges in CrossFire (I think it's CF!), and power scissors in Hiit DWP?

Thanks sooo much for all that you do Cathe! You are definitely an inspiration and so fun to work out with :D

I have the CycleOps Magneto. It is great. I paid $230 for it. It is very quiet and really sturdy. It's what the guy at the local bike shop uses so he recommended it. It is also 100 percent made in the USA, so that sold me.

Trixoo,
Thank you so much for responding to me. I did not see it on the open discussion forum. Thank you for the video recommendations. I will be checking those out for sure! I have gotten better, but I'm nowhere close to be able to stand the entire time cathe does. Perhaps I will never be , but that's okay. I know I'm getting a great workout and I'm having fun doing it!

Hi Frances...

Not sure I can fully commit just yet with my kids sports schedules and my fathers illness but if I do it I will let you know.

Have fun XTRAINING!

Cathe you are a superhero! You have so many things already on your plate and you still make time to respond to us when you can.. Thank you
I still feel so grateful and supported with the wealth of materials you have provided and the wonderful community here..

Happy New Year!

Hi, Cathe!! I’ve had severe brachioradialis strain in both arms for over a year now. Haven’t lifted ANY weights in a year. Everything hurts. However, I wanted to say that with lots and lots of modifying I have done 5 of the XTrain workouts so far and LOVE them. They look beautiful, sound beautiful, and the mix of moves is so refreshing and dread factor-free. You have really outdone yourself. They are so fun. I cannot wait to heal (hoping that day comes!!!!!) so I can do these workouts as they were meant to be done.

Trixoo,
Thank you so much for responding to me. I did not see it on the open discussion forum. Thank you for the video recommendations. I will be checking those out for sure! I have gotten better, but I'm nowhere close to be able to stand the entire time cathe does. Perhaps I will never be , but that's okay. I know I'm getting a great workout and I'm having fun doing it!

You're welcome (and I was glad to see Cathe responded, as well! :) ). One thing I should mention about The Sufferfest is that its likely to appeal more to cyclist than the spin enthusiasts, because it mimics cycling more than spinning. For example, more time spent in the saddle, more emphasis on cadence (sometimes you're given a specific cadence). You'll never be asked to do jumps (but you will definitely be asked to do some attacking), hovers, or any move that involves a count. It's all about grinding it out. :D I hope if you try them you like them. I do...I like both types of workouts and would hate to be without either!

Good luck!

You're welcome (and I was glad to see Cathe responded, as well! :) ). One thing I should mention about The Sufferfest is that its likely to appeal more to cyclist than the spin enthusiasts, because it mimics cycling more than spinning. For example, more time spent in the saddle, more emphasis on cadence (sometimes you're given a specific cadence). You'll never be asked to do jumps (but you will definitely be asked to do some attacking), hovers, or any move that involves a count. It's all about grinding it out. :D I hope if you try them you like them. I do...I like both types of workouts and would hate to be without either!

Good luck!

I know, I was pretty excited to see she responded to me! Please tell me how Sufferfest is once you try it. I looked it up. Are they downloads? I thought that's what it said.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.