5htp?

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
I heard someone talking (Maybe Dr.Oz?) about taking 5htp and green tea as a successful aid in weightloss. I am anti-diet pills, but 5htp seems to have other great uses (sleep aid, mood lifter, etc.) BUT I don't know much about the side effects, and I am wary of that. (I have mitral valve prolapse so am cautious.) Anyone take this or this combo? Was it useful? Or is it just a fad?

Got this off another web site:
Additional nutrients involved in mood support
5-HTP sometimes has an effect within hours and is best suited for those whose low mood is related to serotonin deficiency. SAM-e a powerful nutrient that starts working within hours but should not be used by those who have a tendency for depression associated with anxiety. B vitamins have a mild influence on depression. The combination of 5 HTP St. John's wort may help some people. If you plan to take St. John's wort and 5HTP together, use low dosages. These supplements should not be mixed together with pharmaceutical medicines prescribed for depression such as Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, and other SSRI drugs unless done so or supervised by a health care provider experience with these combinations.

I took 5HTP when my prozac started to not work as well and wanted to go a more "natural" route. I think it helped when I took it. As with any "herbal" or prescription medications, check with a pharmasist to see if they can be taken together.
Hope this helps a little!

Thanks! i mainly wanted to know more about it's weightloss benefits, but I thin the mood enhancer is a GREAT perk. I sometimes have horrible PMS blahs and I bet this would help. I just worry about side effects... Did you have any side effects?

I took it for a while mainly for insomnia and mild depression (though I was not opposed to experiencing a decrease in appetite). I felt that it helped me a lot with the depression and insomnia but I didn't notice any change in appetite or weight loss.

5Htp is really meant more for depression insomnia, anxiety, all things related to serotonin. I started taking it to shut off that "constand mind chatter" that happens when I would lay down at night....you know that running do list and ideas that just won't stop!!! Well 5Htp stops it. It gives you a "calmed alerness" if taken during the day and allows you to relax yet not be drowsy. I have heard people mention it for weight loss, but other than helping to balance serotonin production thereby helping to curb some cravings so that you avoid all the sugar and junk cravings, I'm not aware of any studies that say it actually promotes weight loss.

Thanks! i mainly wanted to know more about it's weightloss benefits, but I thin the mood enhancer is a GREAT perk. I sometimes have horrible PMS blahs and I bet this would help. I just worry about side effects... Did you have any side effects?

Stephanie, for PMS blahs, it would be decent, but have you tried upping your magnesium intake via food and/or supplemnts? Magnesium goes a long way in helping to curb PMS symptoms. The majority of americans are deficient in Magnesium and symptoms can include constipation, anxiety, headaches, migraines, insomnia, muscle fatigue and cramps, and terrible PMS symptoms. There is a powdered drink available at health food stores called "Calm" and it's a magnesium supplement that when taken before bed can really do alot for PMS symptoms as well as other issues. you can also get Magnesium from nuts, seeds, salmon, spinach, black beans, and swiss chard.
I used to have hellacious PMS symptoms and when I added that Calm drink and aimed at eating the above foods and cutting out sodium as much as possible the week before my period, my PMS almost went away! Cutting out soda completely was also crucial.

Stephanie, for PMS blahs, it would be decent, but have you tried upping your magnesium intake via food and/or supplemnts? Magnesium goes a long way in helping to curb PMS symptoms. The majority of americans are deficient in Magnesium and symptoms can include constipation, anxiety, headaches, migraines, insomnia, muscle fatigue and cramps, and terrible PMS symptoms. There is a powdered drink available at health food stores called "Calm" and it's a magnesium supplement that when taken before bed can really do alot for PMS symptoms as well as other issues. you can also get Magnesium from nuts, seeds, salmon, spinach, black beans, and swiss chard.
I used to have hellacious PMS symptoms and when I added that Calm drink and aimed at eating the above foods and cutting out sodium as much as possible the week before my period, my PMS almost went away! Cutting out soda completely was also crucial.

Ah, thanks!!! I think you hit the nail on the head. I always get migraine-like headaches during my period, and I bet this is why! Can you OD on it, though? I mean, if I take Calm and then eat a big spinach salad with salmon and seeds on it, will I get too much Magnesium? I also take a multi (GMC Women's Ultra Mega Active), but I often forget. Do you think that would be too much? I'm going to check into this drink!

Stephanie, the worst side effect from ODing on magnesium would be loose stools. You know when enough is enough when you get loose stools. It's not necessarily a bad side effect it's just your body saying, "I don't need any more than this." Your body will actually loosely dispose of what it does not need, so you will be fine if you incorporate the foods and drink the calm. I do both and apparently I need alot of Magnesium as it's rare for me to get the "runs" from it. The best way the body absorbs it is through both supplementation combined with foods high in it. If you can take your Calm drink with your calcium supplement (if you take one) at night before bed, both are a natural sedative and in addition to helping with PMS, they will help you wind down and sleep good too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.