What's your favorite breakfast right now?

caseysmomgo

Cathlete
I've always eaten breakfast. The only time I don't is if I'm fasting for a blood test!:) However, lately for some reason I've become turned off by all breakfasts. I'm sick of eggs, sick of oatmeal, protein shakes, green smoothies, etc... I eat gluten free, so I don't eat toast, but I do eat organic gluten free waffles occasionally, and I'm sick of those too... No dairy either, but I do drink almond or coconut milk. Right now I'm eating breakfast "just because" but I'm not enjoying any of it.:mad:

Anything that you're loving right now for breakfast that might get me out of my breakfast rut? TIA

Anything that you're loving right now for breakfast that might get me out of my breakfast rut?

Nope, but I could have written your post to the letter! Forever and ever breakfast was my favorite meal of the day. And now the thought of eggs is revolting, ezekiel toast tastes like cardboard, protien shakes are bleh, even my beloved quinoa with a little protein powder and almond milk has no appeal. So I'm joining your quest (if you don't mind) to gather any and all suggestions.

Do you like tortillas? (I don't eat a GF diet, but I think there are GF tortillas on the market?) You can make a sweet breakfast by spreading a GF nut butter on a tortilla + fresh sliced fruits (apple chunks or kiwi are delicious). Delicious warm or cold. Or you can make a savory bean burrito with some beans + salsa/veggies + dairy-free cheese (if you have a brand you like).

This may sound gross to some, but I also like soups for breakfast--particularly the soups made with pureed, roasted root vegetables like butternut squash or pumpkin soups. Eating Well has a great recipe for roasted pumpkin-apple soup. Perfect for the fall season. You can add extra seeds, nuts, or even crumble in some sausage for extra protein and fats.

you can eat anything, its just a time of day. sometimes i just heat up dinner leftovers. as long as you're enjoying it, go for it. i find when i make lentil soup(lots of veggies and stock) it holds me over for a long time, so its great for breakfast(after the w/o) or lunch.

I love eating wheat tortillas, i have found gluten free before! With black beans, one slice extra lean turkey bacon, and 1 small baked potato that i then cook in a pan with the bacon bits and roll it all up in a tortilla! Its deeelish, keeps me well within my range of caloric intake too! sometimes I'll add cheese if I'm feeling bad...lol

Well it doesn't fall into gluten free eating but right now I'm having cinnamon toast with a slice of ham or bacon. Sometimes I'll have a peanut butter sandwich with bananas, making like an egg mcfuffin.

I'm like you, I need to change it up otherwise I'll get tired of everything.

Not gross-sounding to me at all. Ever so often I have soups for b/f as well...

This may sound gross to some, but I also like soups for breakfast--particularly the soups made with pureed, roasted root vegetables like butternut squash or pumpkin soups. Eating Well has a great recipe for roasted pumpkin-apple soup. Perfect for the fall season. You can add extra seeds, nuts, or even crumble in some sausage for extra protein and fats.[/QUOTE]

*raising hand* ditto on last night's leftovers. I'm a proper scavenger...I gobble it up as long as it satisfies :)

you can eat anything, its just a time of day. sometimes i just heat up dinner leftovers. as long as you're enjoying it, go for it. i find when i make lentil soup(lots of veggies and stock) it holds me over for a long time, so its great for breakfast(after the w/o) or lunch.

I take a cup of oatmeal, 1 cup pumpkin (yea it's back in stores) 2t cinnamon, 1t vanilla, sweetner to taste and 1 3/4 cup water and microwave for 2 min. This makes 2 servings and you could add protein powder.

Joan

For the last 4 years, pretty much every morning I have a veggie burger: 2 soy/veggie patties, whole wheat bun, very spicy mustard, and very spicy chipotle sauce. On weekends, I might change it up with a veggie/parmesan omelette.

Why do you eat gluten free? So many people do, when an actual gluten sensitivity or allergy is very rare. Are you one of those rare people?

Last edited:
I take a cup of oatmeal, 1 cup pumpkin (yea it's back in stores) 2t cinnamon, 1t vanilla, sweetner to taste and 1 3/4 cup water and microwave for 2 min. This makes 2 servings and you could add protein powder.

Joan

I will need to check my grocery store. I try to check every other time I am there. I love pumpkin smoothies but have not found any pumpkin in a long, long time.

Kim

I'm officially addicted to sweet potato...:D

Every morning for the past month or so I've had sweet potato "fries" and scrambled eggs (3 whites, one whole). YUMMY!

Hot Chocolate Cereal

One of my favorite new breakfasts is what I call Hot Chocolate Cereal (assuming you like chocolate :p).

1/2 C pumpkin puree
1 C almond milk
1 T cocoa powder (I use Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder)
1/2 scoop protein powder (chocolate flavor)
1 C Kamut Puffs (I also add some Nature's Path Smart Bran for additional fiber but I don't think that is gluten free)

I mix everything but the puffs together until thoroughly combined (sometimes I sprinkle in a dash of cinnamon and a drop or two of vanilla to intensify the chocolate flavor). Then I stir in the puffs and microwave for 1:30.

If you don't like chocolate :confused: you could leave out the cocoa powder and use vanilla protein powder.

I got the idea for this off of foodsofapril.com. She has a ton of wonderful recipes.

HTH!

Protien pudding

I'm bored with breakfast too so this AM I took some vanilla protien powder, added just enough water to make "pudding" added sliced bannana and some sliced almonds. Very tastey!

Lately I've been enjoying quinoa porridge for breakfast with apples, strawberries, slivered almonds, cinannom, nutmeg, and vanilla. I drizzle a bit of agave nectar on it for sweetness. Very tasty!

Banana with almond butter. Today I did have a scrambled eggs and ezekiel toast sandwich, but my dog stole the top piece of toast when I walked into the other room for 30 seconds.

I prefer the banana and almond butter, though. But I want to have some variety.

Joan - is it canned pumpkin you're using? That sounds pretty interesting.

Awww!! that stinks!

Well, you can make GF muffins (normal easy recipe with GF all purpose flour instead of regular flour) with herbs mixed in. I also like an egg with asian style vegetables stir fried together in coconut oil (not the extra virgin lol, thats too much coconutty!) How about tapioca pudding made with almonds, cinnamon, raisins, and coconut flakes?

Well it doesn't fall into gluten free eating but right now I'm having cinnamon toast with a slice of ham or bacon. Sometimes I'll have a peanut butter sandwich with bananas, making like an egg mcfuffin.

I'm like you, I need to change it up otherwise I'll get tired of everything.

There is GF raisin bread, home made is better, bake on the weekend, freeze it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.