K'bell/AOS Workout Question

Afreet

Cathlete
As if there haven't been enough kettlebell threads lately...
:D

I'm having a blast with my kettlebells right now and I want some more workouts. I have all the AOS DVDs and both of Lauren's DVDs. I was just looking at the downloadable workouts over at Art of Strength and wondered if anyone has tried any of them - I'm particularly interested in the Diva Workout and the Resolution Workout. Anyone?

Not yet...

But I'm interested in hearing an opinion, too. I'm looking at York 55, but having a hard time taking the plunge.

I already have Clinic, Providence, Newport, Firepower, and Santa Monica. You'd think that would keep me busy for a while!

Well, I just downloaded the Diva workout. I'll post details as soon as I've previewed or tried it out. So far, the download went really smoothly. Curse this kettlebell addiction!

Hope you enjoy Diva!

I have both, and I love them....better than the dvd's ( of which I have all the AOS ones) I also have the 1200 workout which I recommend also.
Resolution is really versitile and does a good job building strength....I also have SIM, which I will be doing again after I finish ETK....which by the way is the #! workout to build strength (IMO)

I think the downloads and dvd's are good for all around conditioning, but if you are looking for strength, ETK is the workout to have (or PTTP, but that's another discussion:p;))

sorry to enable:eek:

Enjoy!

Deanie, you enabler! ;) Now I have to go shopping on the AOS website!

Okay, I know ETK and PTTP, but what is SIM?

I've been really enjoying my kettlebell workouts -- again! Thanks for the info. Really, I mean it! :D

sorry Kathryn! :p :)

SIM= Strength in Motion (a workbook/strength program developed by Anthony of AOS)

Hope you enjoy Diva!

I think the downloads and dvd's are good for all around conditioning, but if you are looking for strength, ETK is the workout to have (or PTTP, but that's another discussion:p;))

ITA!!! ETK is da' bomb. I also agree that Diva is very metabolic and super fun, the workout flies by. :cool:

Melissa

Afreet....what do you think of Lauren's dvds? I just found them today through pink_fortitude's youtube video (at the bottom). I'm seriously thinking of adding these to my collection. I like the warm up and cool down in them.

Afreet....what do you think of Lauren's dvds? I just found them today through pink_fortitude's youtube video (at the bottom). I'm seriously thinking of adding these to my collection. I like the warm up and cool down in them.

Oh my goodness, I LOVE them. I've had her first DVD since she first released it (almost two years ago) and I still use it all the time. I got her new DVD as soon as it was available and I love that one, too - although it's a bit more challenging than the first. The Bonus Killer Ab section...well, let's just say she's not joking about the "killer" part. :D

The production quality isn't quite as polished as Cathe's DVDs, but they have everything I want and need: follow-along workouts with music and not a lot of time wasted on lengthy explanations or pointless chatter. If you need time to work on your form, she includes a separate, in-depth tutorial for all the moves in the DVDs. The delivery was prompt and the workouts are fun & challenging. I cannot recommend her DVDs enough! PLUS. They work! I'm loving my kettlebell results right now.

Oh my goodness, I LOVE them.

The production quality isn't quite as polished as Cathe's DVDs, but they have everything I want and need: follow-along workouts with music and not a lot of time wasted on lengthy explanations or pointless chatter. If you need time to work on your form, she includes a separate, in-depth tutorial for all the moves in the DVDs. The delivery was prompt and the workouts are fun & challenging. I cannot recommend her DVDs enough! PLUS. They work! I'm loving my kettlebell results right now.
I AGREE! :)

Melissa

Oh my goodness, I LOVE them. I've had her first DVD since she first released it (almost two years ago) and I still use it all the time. I got her new DVD as soon as it was available and I love that one, too - although it's a bit more challenging than the first. The Bonus Killer Ab section...well, let's just say she's not joking about the "killer" part. :D

And she's a genuinely nice person, too. She sent me a very sweet email (when I was expecting a response from an employee or customer service rep)!

Oh great.....now I have to buy something else!:p

OK, So I opened up all my downloaded AOS "Diva" workout files and previewed. I'm planning to do the workout tomorrow. It looks tough!

Like a lot of AOS stuff, the workout appears to be very upper-body-centric. I mean, there are squats and things in there as well, but there are also some serious push-ups and shoulder presses and iron crosses. So I'll be feeling my upper back and shoulders on Friday for sure.

I confess that I'm a leetle disappointed in the entire package. It was discounted to $25.00, and for that I got:

One short digital video of Anthony and some other guy talking about the workout for several minutes followed by short segments showing a woman doing each of the exercises.

One short video of Anthony talking about the workout (again) for several minutes, followed by demonstrations of the exercises.

A breakdown of the workout, in Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced phases (this is just a PDF file which you print out and use as a guide during the workout).

I'm sure I'll like the workout, and I'm not suffering mad pangs of buyer's remorse or anything, but I doubt I'll download anything else like this from their site. I would feel totally satisfied if I'd paid, say, $5.95 for just the PDF with the workout breakdowns. I really, really don't need a video of a couple guys sitting around talking about all the reasons why this workout is going to be so great. I wish they'd just skipped that AND the exercise demos and just used all the time they spent yammering on endlessly to film a follow-along workout, just once through.

I also wish I could look at all the exercise demos on their website, but for some reason I'm not given permission to do that even though I'm registered. Oh well. The workout looks solid, and at least I have something new to try.

Lauren Brooks just filmed a kettlebell workshop she did with Sara Cheatham (senior RKC) and that DVD will be out this summer, so I think I'll save my workout bucks for that one next! She promised a kind of "improve your technique" section AND a follow-along workout, so YAY!

Thanks for posting a review about Diva. I thought for a download it was pricey...compared to Cathe's downloads.

I stopped at a gym near my house that has a female RKC instructor. The price per hour is pricey but to have someone critique my form, I think it might be worth it. She also offers kettlebell classes a couple of times a week. I'm really looking forward to utilizing this resource...it's literally only 3 minutes (if that) from my house!

Did someone here post this article? I can't remember where I found it yesterday, but thought I'd pass it on just in case it wasn't here.

http://www.acefitness.org/getfit/studies/kettlebells012010.pdf

"OK, So I opened up all my downloaded AOS "Diva" workout files and previewed. I'm planning to do the workout tomorrow. It looks tough!

I confess that I'm a leetle disappointed in the entire package. It was discounted to $25.00, and for that I got:

One short digital video of Anthony and some other guy talking about the workout for several minutes followed by short segments showing a woman doing each of the exercises.

One short video of Anthony talking about the workout (again) for several minutes, followed by demonstrations of the exercises.

A breakdown of the workout, in Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced phases (this is just a PDF file which you print out and use as a guide during the workout)."

Afreet,

Thank you for the above review. I was considering downloading the Diva workout. I am a liitle confused. Do they only demo exercises or is there a solid workout to follow along with in both of the videos that you described above. How long are the workouts.

Thanks for Info!

Also if any one has the Resolution or 1200 download form AOS could you please give me a review. What are ETK and PTTP workouts and where on the AOS site can I find them? I could not locate them when I looked. Thanks so much

Last edited:
Hi Regina:

There is NO follow-along workout. That's what disappointed me. I am also a little miffed that the product description didn't fully explain that the workout is really only fully laid out as a PDF document - so you can print it out, set a timer and do the workout as written, but you can't play the downloaded videos and follow along.

The videos have exercise demonstrations and a kind of "montage sequence" of a woman running through the entire workout (minus warm-up/cooldown), but you only see her do a couple of reps before the video skips to the next exercise. There are 2 little videos included in the download, and one of them has two guys talking about kettlebells generally and the workout specifically, then it goes to the workout montage. The second video has Anthony DiLuglio and a female exerciser doing demos of each move.

In my opinion: if someone has downloaded the workout, they probably just want to do a workout. I was peeved that they only included a lengthy discussion of the workout and a few little tidbits of workout demos. The exercise demonstration section is mostly talk, too.

However, the PDF lays out the routine for you, so the entire download package does deliver everything you need to do the workout.

I'm OK with doing my workouts without a follow-along video, but I strongly prefer to follow along with a DVD. It's a little less lonely. ;) I couldn't tell whether the downloads were follow-along or not just from the description - it seems to me, if you're going to take the trouble to film 30 minutes of workout-related stuff, you might as well just film a follow-along, right? Why film a boring conversation about kettlebells? Lame.

But, like I said, the workout itself looks good.

Afreet,

Thank you so much for the information! You truly saved me money because I was going to download it this evening! I would much prefer a workout that I can follow along with. Are all of AOS downloads basically the same as you described for the Diva workout?

I agree that the price for the downloads is ridiculous for what you get. It's easy to print off the paper and set your timer. For $30, I'm not buying it. Maybe $10.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.