Pit workout: cross pit..a review

cb1924

Cathlete
I previously posted this under the heavy bag thread but I decided to repost it and add the 2nd workout to it
Cross pit DVD. It has 2 workouts on it. This workout is not coreographed (sp?). It is a guy with a stop watch telling 3 students to start and stop.

Workout 1
It is about 30 minutes of work (i think) It says on the DVD it is 30 minutes but it was longer- so they must have been referring to the actual work portion. My counter on DVD restarted after every segment.
It starts off with a 5 minute warmup.
1st segment
5 rounds of (or 6) 20 sec drills of hitting bag (any punches you want) then 10 sec rest
5 rounds of 20 sec drills of head kicks to the bag. 10 sec rest
1 minute rest
2nd segment-this one is tough!!
6 rounds of 20sec squats, 20sec pushups, 20 sec squat thrusts, 20 sec hitting and kicking the bag
1 minute rest
3rd segment
5 rounds 20 sec squats followed by 10 sec rest (but in the squat position)
5 rounds 20 sec pushups followed by 10 sec rest ( in plank position)
5 rounds of row crunches (up on butt pulling upper and lower body together followed by rest (in knees and upper body together)

I really liked it. I loved puching the bag with full force. Gets your frustrations out. You kinda go at your own pace since it isn't coreographed. So as Cathe says " you get out of it what you put into it"

Workout 2.
Again it was tough but I really liked it. It was fast paced.
Segment 1 (9 minutes)
Pushups/punching bag-5 rounds
you start off doing 10 reps followed by 30 sec punching, then each round adding 2 reps to the pushups (so last round you do 20)
1 minute rest

Segment 2 (7minutes)
squats/head kicks to the bag- 5 rounds
*start with 10 squats and move up by 2 up to 20 reps
1 minute rest

Segment 3 (8 minutes)
squat thrusts/pushups/squats -5 rounds
*reps to start 6,11,16 and increase by 1 each round
1 minute rest

Segment 4 (13 minutes)
situps/pullups (11 rounds)
*always do 20 situps, start with 5 pullups increase by 1 until 10 reps then pyramid down to 5
1 minute rest

Segment 4 (3 minutes)
20 sec jumping rope/10 sec rest-repeat 6 times

cool down and stretch.
chrissy

Chrissy-

Thanks for the review! I just ordered this yesterday after reading about it on the heavy bag thread. I also added The Pit to my netflix list to try it out before I buy. They did not have Cross Pit available to rent yet and since I found it at Deep Discount DVD for $11.74, I figured why not try it. I have the Wave Master XXL bag and about 6 years of karate experience so this workout sounds awesome to me and can't wait to give it a test run.

Chrissy-

Thanks for the review! I just ordered this yesterday after reading about it on the heavy bag thread. I also added The Pit to my netflix list to try it out before I buy. They did not have Cross Pit available to rent yet and since I found it at Deep Discount DVD for $11.74, I figured why not try it. I have the Wave Master XXL bag and about 6 years of karate experience so this workout sounds awesome to me and can't wait to give it a test run.
Let me know how you like it!

chrissy

I'm glad you liked it!!!!! I am always a bit worried about recommending it (even though I love it) to other vidiots because it's so .... raw. But it is a total kick butt workout - you definitely get out of it what you put in!

I'm glad you liked it!!!!! I am always a bit worried about recommending it (even though I love it) to other vidiots because it's so .... raw. But it is a total kick butt workout - you definitely get out of it what you put in!

Thanks for recommending it. I love them.
chrissy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.