Barre workouts are kicking my a..

Afreet

Cathlete
Seriously!

If you read the thread about my low-intensity experiment, then you know that I've been doing less intense workouts for a couple of weeks now. I decided to try something completely new (to me) - barre workouts.

I found a Fluidity Bar on Craigslist for cheap and it came with the DVDs. I don't *love* these DVDs or anything - the music is just silly, and Michelle Austin has a weirdly intense vibe (or so it seems to me - it's the way she counts things out in rapid-fire sentences, like "pubisboneforwardandpressbackwardsandthat's ONE. pubisboneforwardandpressbackwardandthat's TWO. pubisboneforwardandpressbackwardandthat's THREE." etc).

Anyhoo, I gave them a whirl anyway and sweet fancy Moses they are HARD. And I literally feel like someone has actually been kicking my rear end. I've never done anything like it. I didn't expect to get delayed onset muscle soreness from just wiggling my legs around in the air.

Just thought I'd share.

good work! i ordered the fluidity bar when it first came out a couple years ago. but like you i found the women to be stupid during the workouts it came with so i sent the whole thing back. i used to have the barre workouts also but gave them to my SIL. Have you tried the new barre workouts or are these older ones?

I think it must be the older ones - they don't seem terribly up-to-date.

Good - I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks she's freaky! Maybe she improved in the newer stuff?

Anyway, the workout's aren't undoably bad - just not really what I'm used to (Cathe spoils us).

I have quite a few barre workouts but the one really kicking my a$$ is Ultimate Cardio Barre Advanced. I just did this again this morning and it was great. It's really fast (172bpm) and the workout flies by but is very intense. It also has two bonus workouts - Power Thighs and Power Arms (also 172bpm). I've done the Power Thighs twice now and that was even more intense than the main workout. I only needed 3# for the arms section and I still couldn't do all the reps! I really feel exhilarated after this workout.

Marcy

I have quite a few barre workouts but the one really kicking my a$$ is Ultimate Cardio Barre Advanced. I just did this again this morning and it was great. It's really fast (172bpm) and the workout flies by but is very intense. It also has two bonus workouts - Power Thighs and Power Arms (also 172bpm). I've done the Power Thighs twice now and that was even more intense than the main workout. I only needed 3# for the arms section and I still couldn't do all the reps! I really feel exhilarated after this workout.

Marcy

Hmmm...I've been contemplating this one - sounds like I might need to try it! Have you tried the Pure Barre Pershing Square series? That's on it's way from Amazon right now!

Hmmm...I've been contemplating this one - sounds like I might need to try it! Have you tried the Pure Barre Pershing Square series? That's on it's way from Amazon right now!

I haven't tried the Pershing Square series but I do have the original Pure Barre and it's another killer workout. I had DOMS for days. I've heard that the original is actually harder than Pershing Square but that Pershing Square is a nice complement to it. #1 is easier than #2. #2 is tough on the glutes. Here is a thread from VF with a breakdown of #2 and maybe #1 (I didn't get a chance to read it all):

http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=134990&highlight=pure+barre

Marcy

I did a search for Ultimate Cardio Barre Advanced and didn't come up with a dvd. Could you give me a link to that or more info? I am interested in this! Thanks!

just getting back into barre style workouts for about a month now. i did exhale core fusion body sculpt and i think my a$$ fell off during the glutes segment LOL. for a short 10 min segment it was a killer.

i got the original pure barre in a trade and THAT one killed my lower half glutes,hips,legs and all! i do look forward to getting the newer ones as well.

i have lotte berk which are great dvds but no where near as intense as pure barre and core fusion so i use them as add ons to cardio or other strength routines i do.

kassia

Those Barre workouts are killing me too! I really can't believe that these are so challenging! I am loving them! My legs are the strongest part of my body and they are so sore after these workouts. Nothing has challenged them like this before! Right now I am doing the Bar Method DVDs (4 of them) and at some point I will change to the Physique 57s and Squeeze DVDs. I would have never thought I would like something like this!

Those Barre workouts are killing me too! I really can't believe that these are so challenging! I am loving them! My legs are the strongest part of my body and they are so sore after these workouts. Nothing has challenged them like this before! Right now I am doing the Bar Method DVDs (4 of them) and at some point I will change to the Physique 57s and Squeeze DVDs. I would have never thought I would like something like this!

I know - this is me, exactly! I would've thought after all the years of Cathe legwork, I was pretty much ready for anything, but dang!

Can't wait for the Physique 57 DVDs to get here (I think they're currently backordered - grrr).

New challenges

I just found this thread, and was so excited! I have always been a high-intensity person when it comes to weight loss, but have found that since I introduced barre workouts into my routine about a year ago, I've seen some AMAZING changes. I'm currently doing a P57/Tracy Anderson/Essentrics (if you don't know what this is, I reviewed it on my blog: www.breagettingfit.com) rotation this month, and it's kicking my BOOTY!

Brea :)

Hi Brea--

I just got P57 today and I'm super excited to try them - especially after reading your review on your blog. Which is fabulous!

As a fellow vegan enthusiast of barre workouts, Classical Stretch/Essentrics and an assortment of other fitness-related activites, I may be slightly biased. But only slightly. Thanks for doing so many terrific reviews - I always go looking for those before a DVD purchase, and I'll be bookmarking you for future reference.

YES. I've been doing Squeeze with Tracy Effinger this week and OUCH! But I thought it might be good prep for P57...

I've been doing Physique 57 for two weeks now, love the burn! WOW, this is some serious thigh, glute and ab work!! Tanya is a bit much for me--she talks ALL the time and has some quirky/stupid sayings, however I like the music and this works my body in a whole new way. There is not much arm work but that's ok, I'm in it for the lower body and it's working. I'm thinking of only doing a bar/P57 and kettlebell rotation this month and see what it does.

i'm wondering how much cardio you all are fitting in with these workouts and how often are you doing these workouts? i've been doing these things everyday since its lower intensity. i've also been doing 30 min of cardio daily.

OMG! I just got my physique 57 workouts yesterday. Today i decided to do the arms and core workout and it just about killed me. Who would have thought that 5lb weights would be so painful for the upper body and the core workout was soooooooo hard! I had to take some breaks during it. My inner thighs were on fire with allthose ball squeezes they had us do. I love this workout. It went by so quickly and i felt like i got a good workout in.

I think these P57 w/o's are a boon to the barre work business. I liked them so much I immediately ordered the Essentrics. Now I am looking at the Pershing Square ones. Maybe I was just burning out on too much weight training but I am loving these What I really notice the most is that I am not tired during the day, not so hungry and am sleeping well at night.

My mom just ordered P57 for my belated birthday present. I've been reading and watching clips and drooling for them since I first heard about them. I'm super excited to figure out a way to fit these in with my CLX rotation. I may have to extend my workout week. SUPER excited!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.