Has anyone used a video/dvd or anything else that has really helped their back pain?

BAM

Cathlete
I have had moderate to severe back pain and actually shoulder pain as well for way too long of a time.:( I certainly have been to many, MANY professionals for this but I just don't have any sustainable progress. I've done yoga and pilates in the past and can't really say that I had significant changes but I need to try something again because I don't believe that people have to live in this chronic state. They have many back devices on infomercials but who knows if they really do anything. If you have had success with certain dvd's or contraptions, would you kindly share your experiences? I know there is something out there that can help. Thank you.

Bam

Sorry about your back pain -- I know how awful that can be. I have tried several DVD's and books, but the only thing that has ever worked for me is my chiropracter. He is not a bone-cracker, though. He has a device that stimulates the muscle to contract so it can then relax. It doesn't hurt at all, makes sense from a physio/biomechanical view, and after a few sessions with him, I usually feel great. Good luck!

Mel

I have chronic back, neck, and shoulder pain and have found a bit of relief from Viniyoga Therapy dvd's (there's an Upper Back and Neck dvd and a Lower Back and Hip dvd--I have both. Check Amazon for them. That's where I got mine) and Jill Miller's Tune Up Ball work http://yogatuneup.com/. Jill Miller has a bunch of new cd's coming out and she's really great. Those "tension balls" of hers work wonders!

I also shell out money for deep tissue massages and that helps a bit too. Good luck!

another vote for chiropractic! there is so much related to it that you don't even think would be

for a GREAT stretch - Classical Stretch. Wowza, does this do wonders for my body! I have learned SO MUCH about how your body is all connected and that you can't isolate one muscle during stretching - for example - the hips get tight because the hammies are tight because your calves are tight. Same theory applies to UB muscles.

But above all - CHIROPRACTIC! Without it you're just treating sypmtoms, not the cause.

So sorry to hear you're in pain - not fun! Good luck!

Thank you so much everyone for your suggestions. I know, unfortunately, that you can all relate. I have done chiropractic, osteopathic, massage therapy and many other treatments for years. I have spent thousands of dollars out of pocket. I just don't have the money anymore.

Mel, do you know the name of the device your chiropractor uses?

Allison, those dvd's sound great! If I were to start with one of them, which would you recommend?

Kate, can you tell me who made the Classical Stretch video?

Thank you, again, everyone!!!!

Bam

ETA: Kate, I found the website for the dvd's. Which one or ones would your recommend first?

Last edited:
Bam,
I would buy Jill Miller's cd's first. (I think she offers dvds too, but I got the cd's and then downloaded them to my Ipod--you don't need a visual with her stuff, the audio is really great). I'm still pretty new to the Viniyoga dvds (haven't had them long) but I really like the 32 minute segment on the Upper Back and Neck dvd.

I didn't have any success with Chiropractic work. I saw a Chiropractor for a few months and he ended up telling me that he didn't think he could help me and I should seek out other methods of relief. I know the guy well so I trusted him and actually appreciated his honesty. I've seen 3 other Chiro's before, too, (as well as Sports Medicine Therapists) and they weren't able to help. I now do acupuncture once a week and Reiki and she has helped a great deal. (I wasn't a believer at first, but I'm so desperate, I'll try anything--and she's really helped a lot).

I also have a bunch of Classical Stretch dvd's but never clicked with Miranda (the creator and she leads the dvds). I still try them every now and then but still don't have all that much relief. Maybe if I stuck with them longer they'd help more but like I said, I just don't "click" with the instructor). I know Kate's a huge fan of hers and has had great success with the dvds (and Chiro work) so don't NOT try these just because of my experiences. CS and chiro work might help you a lot.

You can buy CS dvds here http://www.classicalstretch.com/. Be prepared--they're a bit pricey (she ships from Canada).

Good luck!

Hi BAM - Sorry to bring up another health professional, but have you ever worked with an occupational therapist or PT for your back pain?

I finally went to a chiro a few years back after dealing with chronic back pain since my teens. He had me come in for adjustments, but also required me to work with his occupational therapist - lots o' core work and stretching! She had me doing stuff that I hadn't seen/done before. The combination helped me tremendously! The OT also did myofascial release that helped as well.

Have you tried foam rolling?

Back pain stinks, I hope you find something that gives you some relief.

back pain

A friend of mine (who is a nurse) recommended to me a book "Treat Your Own Back". That book helped me so much. I bought it about 10 years ago when I had terrible lower back pain for the first time in my life (it was right after I turned 40). I still refer back to it when needed but I never have spasms like I did back then. I now know what to do if my back starts to hurt. It may help you.

Joanne

I highly recommend "Pain Free" by Pete Egosque. He gives you a series of simple but extremely effective movements specific areas of pain. His philosophy is that much of our pain is a result of lack of movement therefore unlike many medical professional he encourages movement, even Imax type movement. If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch you can download a free app that has many of the exercises but the book goes into more detail.
My brother had carpel tunnel so bad he was on the verge of not being able to work any more when this saved him. I keep hip pain I've had for years at bay with it and my mother (age 79) had terrible back pain for years and it's gone.

Have you ever tried an epidural for your back pain? My DH had severe back pain and sometimes numbness in one of his legs. He tried prednisone, acupuncture, p.t., and so on. Five years ago he had an epidural and it was just what he needed to stop the inflammation. This seemed to solve his problem, although the doctor also said some people have as many as three epidurals per year. It's basically cortisone.

You guys, hands down, are simply the best! Thank you for all of your help and suggestions!!!!!

TeTe, thank you for that Yoga Zone suggestion. I actually have that one but haven't used it for awhile. I think I will now!

Marcy, what an awesome link you provided. That will help a lot!!! Thank you.

Allison, I'm glad you found relief with acupuncture and reiki. I truly believe in those methods but for me, they didn't work. We're all different and have to find what works for each of us. I just wish I could find min quicker. I am going to check out Jill Miller. It sounds great!

Gayle, I have tried PT. One was through my insurance so I had to pay a co-pay and the other I had to pay out of pocket. I got slight relief from the one I paid on my own but not enough to justify me paying as much as I did. I know there are great people out there. It's just not always easy locating them. I haven't tried the foam rolling but I will look into it.

Joanne, I'm going to look for that book. I am so happy that it helped you!

Gabrielle, I have heard Pete Egosque's name before but can't pinpoint when or where. How amazing that you, your brother and mother all found relief. I don't have an ipod/phone so I'll have to look for the book and or video if there is one. Thank you!

Garance, I had an injection awhile back but it was of saline. Was the epidural painful? I'm glad he found relief but I'm squeamish when it comes to needles. For me to even try what I did took a LOT of deep breaths! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!! You have all given me some great direction to take. I'm going to see if my library has any of your recommendations. I can't wait to try everything. I actually have some hope now and believe me, it's not that difficult to give up when you keep getting nowhere or worse. I can not thank you enough. Many (((((( hugs )))))) to all of you!!!!

Bam

Before you get an epidural or a shot of cortisone, they give you a numbing shot of anesthetic. I have had cortisone for my knees, and the anesthetic shot feels like a little sting. I only felt a bit of pressure when the cortisone was injected. I just turn my head away from watching, and it's all over in a minute or so. DH said it was easy.

bam, im so happy you got so much advice!

you had asked which cs 1st....my all-time fve is the one that has 2 on it...
total body workout & athletes intense stretch, both led by miranda esmonde-white. i feel 3" taller and 3" leaner every time i do them. i have almost all of her stuff but ais is the one i do over and over again.

good luck!! keep us posted!

Thanks Garance. I'm glad the pain was slight. I will definitely keep this option on my list.

Thanks Kate for the CS suggestions. I'm trying to see if I can find them at the library. I'll let you know how things go!

Parkercp, you know my bf has an inversion table and I've used it once or twice only. It does not go down to 180 degrees but I know one can get relief at a lesser decline. Glad you were able to strengthen your back!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

Bam

Another vote for Classical Stretch!! I've had major issues with my neck/back/shoulder areas and this has helped me like nothing else. Miranda is no Cathe, I'll give you that, and she can be a bit quirky, and sometimes she doesn't work both sides equally, but I can forgive her because the workouts are great and have helped me a lot.

If you want to try before you buy check your local PBS listings. Classical Stretch airs on my local PBS station about 3 days a week. Also, you can buy at least 2 seasons of the TV show on DVD. My favorite is season 4 which gives you, I think, 26 different workouts, all under 30 minutes long.

Last edited:
I like Viniyoga for Upper back and shoulders (I've had shoulder problems), Classical Stretch for Back Pain Relief provides temporary relief, as do most of the CS's, and feels really good IMO (you can sometimes find CS's on Ebay for cheaper than the website) and I've recently been using a foam roller which feels great, although quite painful! I've heard that Jill Miller's tension CD's + balls are excellent and they are on my wish list. She's got a new rotator cuff one which would be great for the shoulders, in addition to the upper back and neck one.

I'm also in the process of using BB's Total Body Solutions - a rehab type programme for different body parts. I'm currently using the shoulder and neck sections. They have a mix of strength and stretching and you use the for 30 days, every other day. I've only done about 6 so far but my shoulders are already a bit less painful, so fingers crossed.

Emma

the device

Bam, I know there is a technical name for the device that my chiropracter uses, but I can't find it. His pamphlet just referred to it as a chiropractic adjustment tool (spring-loaded). It's totally painless (feels like someone flicking their fingers on your back) and works wonders. I may have to check out some of the book recommendations too. I really hope this all helps you!

Mel

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.