Stubborn Belly Fat

cheznaz

I walk around my office looking 6 months pregnant because I have a small body frame and am small everywhere except for my belly.

I have so much fat accumulation there that people think I am expecting a child. This is not so embarrassing as it is frustrating for me because I have tried everything to get reduce my stomach to no avail.

From Tom Venuto to Abs Diet I have tried them all. I have even tried P90X for 8 weeks and ended up with rock hard triceps, legs and back but the belly fat didn't bulge.

My doctor took an ultra sound and he confirmed 'no baby' and no problems - everything appeared normal. So I am wondering what else do I need to do to shrink my bell.

Currently, I am eating 6 small meals based on the abs diet. I don't eat fruits or heavy carbs after 4pm but I do eat carbs as prescribed by the abs diet.

My portions are small (250 ml plastic container). My total caloric intake is a1200 if I skip my late night protein shake or 1500 if I enjoy the nightly protein shake. I don't drink alcohol (at least not since Jan 5/09). And I workout with Cathe (I love drills and bootcamps) regularly with no moderation.

Sometimes (only sometimes), I workout twice a day. Usually do cardio in the morning and weights in the pm - if I am working out twice a day. I do make a point of working out every weekday. I sometimes workout on Sunday as well. Sunday’s are usually high intensity interval days.

Last week and this week, have been splitting my workouts and have been working out with 4-day Split DVDs. with Wednesday as "give Cathe a break". Which means, last Wednesday, I used a 'dance' workout tape and today, I am going to do a jump rope tape for 30 minutes.

I have also scheduled a 1-day HIIT training by Abs Diet to ensure maximum calorie burn.

Why is my belly fat sooooooooooo stubborn? What else do I need to do to lose this fat?

My body is size 4 but I wear size 8 clothes because of my belly. Everyone tells me my clothes are too big on me but they don't realize I wear big clothes to fit my belly.

HELP!

Belly fat is sometimes associated with stress (stress raises cortisol levels, and cortisol encourages the storage of fat in that area).

Jillian Micheals also says too much testerone causes belly fat... she has a book coming out on what to do to address the hormonal issues. Maybe you can have those levels checked?

Belly fat is sometimes associated with stress (stress raises cortisol levels, and cortisol encourages the storage of fat in that area).
So if you're stressed out about belly fat you'll give yourself more belly fat. It gives me a headache thinking about it! :(

Hi cheznaz - So are you saying that you're working out 6 or 7 days a week (mostly cardio), with 1200-1500 calories a day?

If this is the case, I think you may be over training and not eating enough. Based on this info alone, I'd agree with Sonya, lift more and eat more.

I also agree with Kathryn on the stress issue. It contributes in more ways than we realize.

Another factor: you don't mention your age, but if you are approaching or going through menopause, that could be another factor (hormonal changes cause us to hold on to belly fat more. There's even a rather inelegant term for it : "menopot". I think it was Dr. Chritine Northrup? who came up with that one).

I just read that 7 cups of green tea per day has a specific effect on belly fat--to reduce it and lose inches. It was at the South Beach diet site. I am going to try this, even if it means I will be going to the bathroom a lot!

Kathryn, you are so right about that! I've gained a pouchy midsection (which I've never had, except when pregnant) since January and was wondering what is wrong with me.

Then I remembered: Endless, relentless stress coming at me from all angles since then.

Of course, feeling bad about myself has only stressed me more, which probably makes it worse, which makes me feel worse ...

Calgon, take me away... for a long time!

Just a thought...I hit 42 and all of a sudden my wine went to the belly. Straight away. I am currently on a program that consists of a little over 1,500 calories a day, no wine, sugar, limited carbs..intense cardio sesssions twice a day and weights (heavy to moderate forced reps) 4 times a week. Intense, but its working...finally. Only when I eat enough clean food, eliminate the wine and up the weights and keep my cardio intense do I see changes in my body. It SUCKS. Sorry for yelling, but i miss my wine.;)

I remember dr.Phil's wife sharing a story about her belly fat with the audience. She went to her pharmacist to pick up something and complained to him about her belly. Just like you she had tried everything. Her pharmacist told her that sugar caused that belly fat and that she should avoid it. So she cut all sugar and lost the pooch.

Last edited:
Just a thought...I hit 42 and all of a sudden my wine went to the belly. Straight away. I am currently on a program that consists of a little over 1,500 calories a day, no wine, sugar, limited carbs..intense cardio sesssions twice a day and weights (heavy to moderate forced reps) 4 times a week. Intense, but its working...finally. Only when I eat enough clean food, eliminate the wine and up the weights and keep my cardio intense do I see changes in my body. It SUCKS. Sorry for yelling, but i miss my wine.;)

OMG, that's my problem!! I turned 42 last month and I swear, my belly fat has doubled. Seriously. I have pics of me on the beach last august and my belly looks fine(not 6 pack, but good enuff for bikini). I haven't changed anything in my diet and have been working out like crazy, heavy weights, running, spinning, and still, belly flab.
I'm trying everything, including the green tea!!!

Hello everyone - thank you for your responses. I think I wasn't too clear on my workouts schedule.

I do lift - moderate to heavy weights 3x/week. All last week was about 4-day split -which as you will know, includes heavy weights 4x/wk.

I generally lift 3 times per week at least. And, I add 1 cardio & weight circuit because I love the fat burn I feel with CW circuit.

I suppose the attempt this week was to reduce the cardio from 4x per week to 2 only but I was hesitant and was going to add another cardio session over the weekend.

This week, abs diet calls for 3x weight lifting and 2x cardio HIIT. I guess I will stick to that schedule and see how I fair.

... If stress builds belly fat then that certainly explains why I just am not getting rid of it. Because I am not helping, stressing over it. I will try to not think about if for the rest of the month and let's see where I end up.

I don't understand Jillian's "testosterone" theory. I will have to search the web for that.

Kathryn: Yes, I am getting there. I am 46 years of age BUT.. I have always had this problem - since I was 7 years old (as far back as I can remember). One of the reasons for incorporating heavy weights in my routine is to ensure my metabolism burns at a decent rate. That actually is also the reason for eating smaller meals frequently. But I am sure my age is also NOT helping.

Garance: I have tried 10 cups of green tea a day in my diet. I have also tried cinnamon/honey tea. I have tried adding black seed in my tomato juice (low sodium) and have given up on each of them one-by-one.

Right now ... I think maybe you all are right and the first thing I need to do is not worry about my belly and continue doing what I am. I will report back in 1 month to see if I see any difference.

Tneah: Ha! Don't you love the wine fact? I realized that last year that is why I stopped drinking this year. And, just last month, I also stopped drinking all carbonated drinks including diet sodas.

WISH ME LUCK PEEPS .. and thank you for all your suggestions and help.
:):D:)

Me too!!! I still have a sip every now and again :p

I've certainly never seen a human with a belly 'pouch' (though plenty of marsupials, though). ;-)

Too much cortisol does cause belly fat- your doctor can check you for Cushing's syndrome, with a 24 hour urine cortisol test. Just a thought.

If you've always had the belly fat problem, it probably means you have a genetic thing going on. I've seen some "apple" women who have giant bellies and little bird like thighs. I mean, their belly is a size 2X and their legs look like a size 2. Really the only way to deal with these gross genetic disparities in fat distribution is liposuction or a tummy tuck. Its not worth even trying to starve or exercise it off because it won't come off.
On a personal note, when my mom died of cancer she was a skeleton all over, except for her thunder thighs, which stayed fat until the end. This is how I know there are just some body parts that are totally resistant to fat loss.
And Kathyrn, the "menopot" term was mentioned in "Fight Fat After Forty" by Pamela Peeke, MD. I don't know if she coined the term though.
Beth

If you've always had the belly fat problem, it probably means you have a genetic thing going on. I've seen some "apple" women who have giant bellies and little bird like thighs. I mean, their belly is a size 2X and their legs look like a size 2. Really the only way to deal with these gross genetic disparities in fat distribution is liposuction or a tummy tuck. Its not worth even trying to starve or exercise it off because it won't come off.
On a personal note, when my mom died of cancer she was a skeleton all over, except for her thunder thighs, which stayed fat until the end. This is how I know there are just some body parts that are totally resistant to fat loss.
And Kathyrn, the "menopot" term was mentioned in "Fight Fat After Forty" by Pamela Peeke, MD. I don't know if she coined the term though.
Beth

Those people with 2x bellies and size 2 legs probably are Cushings patients. But, for the OP, I seriously doubt she has Cushings. She'd also have purple stretchmarks and a "buffalo hump" on her back. I doubt the OP needs a 24 hour cortisol test.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.