1 RM Test: Must I do the 1-2 Star Tests?

CynamonKis

Cathlete
Hi:

I would like to begin Meso 1 next Sunday 2/8. To do that, I will only be able to get through the 3, 4 & 5-star 1 rep max. tests.

Do you recommend that I complete ALL the tests? What would happen if I just did the 3-5 star 1 rep max tests?

ALSO how do I find instructions on some of the exercises (e.g., Ex #674-Seated Front Press Double Arms 1.5's and Seated Concentration Curls 1.5's)?

Please advise. Thanks.

Last edited:
Bump! I would love to know the answers to these questions, too.

I have finished all 3 - 5 stars tests as of today. I am planning to start STS Meso 1 tomorrow. I did not do any 1-2 stars tests yet. Will it really matter? Also, for the leg related, anything I can safely lift to do the legs, I can pretty much do 20 or 20 +. But according to SNM, in order to get accuate 1rm, the reps can no more than 10. How do I test those moves? Life, single leg deadlift.

Thanks

Hi Wantfit:

No one responded. From what I have read, the reason for the 1-2 stars is that those exercises are not as critical as the 3-5 star exercises, the 5-stars being in most need of doing a 1 rep max.

That said, did you begin Meso 1 yet? Have you noticed a difference in not having done the 1-2 stars? Please let me know. Thanks.

Cyn

Bump! I would love to know the answers to these questions, too.

I have finished all 3 - 5 stars tests as of today. I am planning to start STS Meso 1 tomorrow. I did not do any 1-2 stars tests yet. Will it really matter? Also, for the leg related, anything I can safely lift to do the legs, I can pretty much do 20 or 20 +. But according to SNM, in order to get accuate 1rm, the reps can no more than 10. How do I test those moves? Life, single leg deadlift.

Thanks

CynamonKis, got a suggestion for you!

Hey there! You can most definitely start Meso 1 without having done the 1-and-2-start 1RM testing, CynamonKis. You'll need them later but not for Week One.

Here's a little tip for you that DebbieH ("Mama Deb") gave me that works like a charm to help you see what 1RM's you DO need. Go to the 1RM Calculator. In Step 1 ("Select a Category and Sub-Category"), choose "STS" as your category, then "Disc 1" as your sub-category. Next, in Step 2 ("Choose an Exercise), just click on the drop-down list that says "Choose from this list". Every exercise that is needed for Disc 1 is shown, and if you've already completed your 1RM testing for an exercise it will show up in bold red. You'll see immediately where you need to do a few 1RM tests to fill in and get ready.

Repeat this process with Disc 2 and Disc 3, and you'll be good to go for Meso 1, Week 1. ;)

By the way, when an exercise is listed as a "1.5", that means that you do a rep pattern of one full rep and then one half-way rep (e.g., a barbell curl all the way to the top, then a curl to the half-way mark). Together those count as 1 rep.

Hope this helps! :D

Hi Wantfit:

No one responded. From what I have read, the reason for the 1-2 stars is that those exercises are not as critical as the 3-5 star exercises, the 5-stars being in most need of doing a 1 rep max.

That said, did you begin Meso 1 yet? Have you noticed a difference in not having done the 1-2 stars? Please let me know. Thanks.

Cyn

Hi, Cyn,

Yes, I began Meso 1 yesterday and today I did Itrain 30 min interval run. No, for Disc 1, there is no difference. As I did it, I noticed that even I did 1RM tests for 3 - 5 stars moves, there is some gap when I really started working out. A couple of moves I can not lift target weight or can not finish target reps. Even Cathe said we had to adjust based on we feel. But one thing for sure, 1RM test really surprised me that I can lift much heavier and it helped me to push myself while I was lifting. Also, I don't have the weight that target amount required in the workout card. So I just chose whatever closer I came out with. Saying so, just let you know that please don't stress yourself out with 1RM testing. Enjoy the workout. I really like it. I was feeling overwhelm when Cathe anounced STS program. But so far, I feel very good about it because it is very doable. I had to remind you that I had never follow up rotation over 3 weeks. So please workout with me, and help me get past 3 weeks mark!;)

For disc 1, the one thing really killed me was all different kind of push up. I could only finish half of reps Cathe and crew did. I could not do some of the push up. I hope by the end of this cycle, I would be almost there.

Today is my Cardio day. I did not do kettlebell 200 swing as I planed since my legs were on fire after 1RM tests I did for legs moves. So I did interval run. I had really hard time to keep up. But I did finish it. Then I did Ab Circuit without equipment session plus extended strech from yesterday disc one.

When are you going to start yours? I think you will like it.

Tarheel Mom: You Rock Girl, thanks so much for answering both my questions it really helped me.

Wantfit: I will DEFINITELY workout with you b/c neither your or I can quit after a mere 3 weeks we've got to build muscle! I am starting Meso 1 on Sunday and I am learning from your experiences as well as insight from Tarheel. Altho I am very "pushup challenged", I am looking forward to getting started!

Hi, Cyn,

Yes, I began Meso 1 yesterday and today I did Itrain 30 min interval run. No, for Disc 1, there is no difference. As I did it, I noticed that even I did 1RM tests for 3 - 5 stars moves, there is some gap when I really started working out. A couple of moves I can not lift target weight or can not finish target reps. Even Cathe said we had to adjust based on we feel. But one thing for sure, 1RM test really surprised me that I can lift much heavier and it helped me to push myself while I was lifting. Also, I don't have the weight that target amount required in the workout card. So I just chose whatever closer I came out with. Saying so, just let you know that please don't stress yourself out with 1RM testing. Enjoy the workout. I really like it. I was feeling overwhelm when Cathe anounced STS program. But so far, I feel very good about it because it is very doable. I had to remind you that I had never follow up rotation over 3 weeks. So please workout with me, and help me get past 3 weeks mark!;)

For disc 1, the one thing really killed me was all different kind of push up. I could only finish half of reps Cathe and crew did. I could not do some of the push up. I hope by the end of this cycle, I would be almost there.

Today is my Cardio day. I did not do kettlebell 200 swing as I planed since my legs were on fire after 1RM tests I did for legs moves. So I did interval run. I had really hard time to keep up. But I did finish it. Then I did Ab Circuit without equipment session plus extended strech from yesterday disc one.

Wantfit just checking in with you how are you making out are you sticking with it? I noticed that Cathe is starting 2/16 so I'll wait to start at that time. I have done all the 1 RM tests for the 3-5 star exercises. I will spend this next week completing the 1 RM tests for the 1-2 star exercises, and going back to re-do any 1 RM tests for exercises that I did 15-20 reps for.

Thanks so much for posting this because it gave me an idea as to what to expect and helped me not to stress out too much about the 1 RM tests as they may be subject to change anyway when I actually begin.

Please feel free to PM me if you find you need help getting over the 3-week mark! I have been working out consistently for 2 yrs now. Plus I have lost 50 lbs & have kept it off since November 2007 (this is hard trust me). Right now my goal is to burn more fat and develop more lean muscle. I went to a bodybuilding show in November and was VERY impressed by the physiques I saw in the female fitness competition and my new goal is to get more muscular.

Hi, Cyn,

Wantfit just checking in with you how are you making out are you sticking with it? I noticed that Cathe is starting 2/16 so I'll wait to start at that time. I have done all the 1 RM tests for the 3-5 star exercises. I will spend this next week completing the 1 RM tests for the 1-2 star exercises, and going back to re-do any 1 RM tests for exercises that I did 15-20 reps for.

Thanks so much for posting this because it gave me an idea as to what to expect and helped me not to stress out too much about the 1 RM tests as they may be subject to change anyway when I actually begin.

Please feel free to PM me if you find you need help getting over the 3-week mark! I have been working out consistently for 2 yrs now. Plus I have lost 50 lbs & have kept it off since November 2007 (this is hard trust me). Right now my goal is to burn more fat and develop more lean muscle. I went to a bodybuilding show in November and was VERY impressed by the physiques I saw in the female fitness competition and my new goal is to get more muscular.

Hi, Cyn,

Your posting almost made me cry. Sorry, I am very emotional recently because of high stress from work. You and I never met. But you went out and gave me the hand, trying to help me to go thru my 3 weeks mark. What can I ask for more? Everything is so cutting throat at work. Your kindness and care, really made my days. Thank you so much.

Your story did encourage me. Even from your last post, saying that you would do it with me, already encouraged me to get up every early AM this week. Normally, when my work got crazy, I had to work late until night, I would cancel my workout. But now, every time, when I tried to call it for a quit, I would think about you. I would visualize that you will be there working out with me. I got up every AM, 4:45am. I got thru it 1 week. I did Disc 1 - Disc 3. Thur is my rest day. Weekend will be my long cardio day.

Thank you for being there with me. As I am getting close to my 3rd week mark, your being there means so much to me.

Maybe we should get start any thread, in check in. Let me know if you do have one. I will faithfully check in with you.;)

Aww WantFit! Please do start a check in thread & let me know where it is so I can find it and I will certainly make sure we can check in on eachother. I also sent you a friend request so I could add you as a workout friend.

I must commend you on getting up at 4:45 am to get your workout in. If you keep doing that, you WILL accomplish your goals! For me, especially having a stressful job as we both apparently have, doing the workout 1st thing in the am ensures that we get it in.

My coach has encouraged me to leave the office at 6:30pm, and to stop working late at night. I was only able to do that a couple of times last week but my goal is to get home early everyday this week. This may call for being as efficient as possible to ensure the work gets done.

Today I started Meso 1/Wk 1. I was going to wait for Cathe but I want the active recovery week to coincide with the week that I'll be on the cruise.

I did Disc 1, Ab Circuits No Equipment Abs, and a 20 min jog. Tomorrow it will be Imax 2 and 5 min abwork.

We CAN keep at it Wantfit! Yes we can!

Hi, Cyn,

Your posting almost made me cry. Sorry, I am very emotional recently because of high stress from work. You and I never met. But you went out and gave me the hand, trying to help me to go thru my 3 weeks mark. What can I ask for more? Everything is so cutting throat at work. Your kindness and care, really made my days. Thank you so much.

Your story did encourage me. Even from your last post, saying that you would do it with me, already encouraged me to get up every early AM this week. Normally, when my work got crazy, I had to work late until night, I would cancel my workout. But now, every time, when I tried to call it for a quit, I would think about you. I would visualize that you will be there working out with me. I got up every AM, 4:45am. I got thru it 1 week. I did Disc 1 - Disc 3. Thur is my rest day. Weekend will be my long cardio day.

Thank you for being there with me. As I am getting close to my 3rd week mark, your being there means so much to me.

Maybe we should get start any thread, in check in. Let me know if you do have one. I will faithfully check in with you.;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.