Your Expertise Please - When you have a minute :)

burnmarie

Cathlete
Cathe,

I would love your opinion on the best workout program regarding fat loss, when you have a good muscle base already.

I am wondering just a general (not specific workouts) like 2 days circuits, 2 days hiit etc.

I have a great muscle base (thanks to you ;)) but it is all covered with fat. I get conflicting info on the best way train for solely fat loss when a good muscle base is already achieved. I know diet is a huge part for fat loss, but I am wanting to make sure I am training correctly for my goal also.

Any information from someone of your expertise would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Hi Burnmarie!

I understand exactly what your asking but I do have to stress that your food intake is equally important and in this case more important because you obviously have already given a lot of wonderful attention to your muscles. When you have a strong muscle foundation and you want to burn body fat you must first commit to a super clean diet of low carbs, moderate protein and a good dose of essential fatty acids too. Just doing this alone will bring your body fat way down. But now you have all this wonderful muscle you want to keep & even further enhance so I would suggest your cardio workouts be mostly metabolic workouts in which the focus is on compound movements. These are great because they keep your body releasing growth hormone to ensure as much strength and muscular growth as possible while dieting. I would suggest three to four metabolic workouts per week ( ie: Afterburn, Crossfire, Super Cuts, X10) and additionally lift heavy weights three times per week (ie: my gym style workouts from the hard core series). Do the above workouts all within an 8 day period & take one day off of working out and start this all over again. This must accompany a clean diet or your results will be minimal for fat loss. Btw, if you lose more than 2 pounds per week, cut back on your metabolic workouts and make sure you are eating enough. About 1800 cals per day should be a good starting point & add or take away a few based on a goal of no more than a two pound weekly weight loss. If you lose faster than that you are losing too much muscle along with your body fat. So train/eat wisely. Good Luck!

QUOTE=burnmarie;2221476]Cathe,

I would love your opinion on the best workout program regarding fat loss, when you have a good muscle base already.

I am wondering just a general (not specific workouts) like 2 days circuits, 2 days hiit etc.

I have a great muscle base (thanks to you ;)) but it is all covered with fat. I get conflicting info on the best way train for solely fat loss when a good muscle base is already achieved. I know diet is a huge part for fat loss, but I am wanting to make sure I am training correctly for my goal also.

Any information from someone of your expertise would be greatly, greatly appreciated![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the quick response. I will create a workout plan using that template and make sure to eat low carb and clean!

I'm glad you asked that question! I was thinking of trying those types of cardio workouts but wasn't sure. Thank you too Cathe for the info:)

Does anyone have a list of ALL Cathe metabolic workouts?
Thanks
Krista

I think that's an awesome idea. I was wondering if Cathe's workouts are catagorized anywhere on the website. I have the compendium but I would love to have a list of her workouts in groups: cardio only, toning only, circuit, metabolic, Hiit etc. Does anyone know?

I'd like a list of that, too. If someone doesn't already have one, maybe we can come up with one?

Here are the ones I can think of off the top of my head (metabolic):
To the Max
Cross Fire
Afterburn
Cardio Supersets
X10
Circuit Blast
Supercuts
Terminator workouts?

What about Drill Max and Bootcamp?

Flex Train
Cardio Leg Blast ?
Athletic Training ???

Yeah, I was wondering about Drill Max and Bootcamp too.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable than myself can put together a definitive list of metabolic conditioning workouts. :D

Would this strategy also work for the 'cutting' phase of weight training, ie would it still apply when trying to get down to very low body fat, or is there a better method? (Obviously diet becomes absolutely crucial.)
I'd love to see a complete list of appropriate workouts as well :D
Many thanks,
Justine

OP, hope you don't mind me hijacking but I have a similar question except I only have five consecutive days a week to workout and an hour max each day. With so many different types of workouts, I'm not sure how best to create an effective rotation just for five consecutive days.

Not at all :)

This is just my opinion from Cathe's response, but if your goals are similar to mine. I would think 3 Metabolic Workouts, and 2 heavy strength days would be optimal. One heavy upper and one Heavy Lower. It really is the diet that is the most important, the workouts just enhance.

Hope that helps

Thank you, burnmarie, for starting this thread and the one on sugar detox. I do have strong muscles that are covered by a layer of fat. After working so hard to build them up, I was not seeing the results. When Cathe posted her response, I created 8 day on and 1 day off rotations for myself, alternating metabolic and heavy weight workouts. I have just completed two 8 day on and 1 day off rotations.

Both rotations used alternating Cardiosupersets and 4 day split with heavy weights:
day 1: Cardiosupersets
day 2: 4 day split chest, shoulders, triceps
day 3: Cardiosupersets
day 4: 4 day split lower body
day 5: Cardiosupersets
day 6: 4 day split back, biceps, abs
day 7: Cardiosupersets
day 8: 4 day split lower body
day 7: off

Tomorrow I will start another two 8 day on and 1 day off rotations, alternating Afterburn and Gym Style weights as above. Future rotations include Athletic Training with Xtrain upper body, Cardio Leg Blast with Muscle Endurance and Supersets with Xtrain Burn sets. The rotations really are endless.

So happy to say that my slacks are looser, fat loss is noticable, and I have lost an average of 1lb per week. Cutting down tremendously the amount of sugar I consumed surely played a big role in this. Thank you again, burnmarie, Cathe, and all members of Cathe Nation for sharing your knowledge and experience.

Last edited:
Hi, good morning. I think we all have the same problem,muscle cover with a layer of fat, I do too, exercise we doing every day are ok the only problem is diet, I eat clean like, no sodas,no candy, no chocolate, no chips, no fast food because I cook every day, drink more of 2 liter of water, no juices, ok for me is clean eating but if I don't combine the right amount of protein, vegetables, fruits,carbohydrates, I never going to get the body I looking for. I find a page of some one how doing a meal plan for bodybuilding and is not expensive, this is the page if you want to check and tell me wath you think please: www.dieselbody.com. Plus I download a ebook from fighter diet is like 1500 calories if some want to try let me know and I can share

I have been following Catherine suggestions while doing the 21 day sugar detox program. Really has been amazing, I have lost about 12# and feel so much better over all. Sugar really is the a huge part of the problem when it comes to fast loss it seems.

Congrats on your results burnmarie!

Congrats to you, too, Cyrprusave!!!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.