Yoga advice?

CurlyQ

Cathlete
Looking for some help regarding yoga. I've been doing Cathe's workouts exclusively for a few years now, along with running and walking. However, I'm feeling like I might need to shake things up a little to shock my body. What is a good workout to get? I checked out VF but I could spend all day reading the reviews! I figured Cathe fans will be able to help. I'm not really looking for a relaxation style, I'm more interested in something that can replace a strength day. I'd rather have something in the intermediate category so that I can work up to conquering the whole thing. Maybe I'd be better off trying a class first? Thanks in advance!:7

My 1st introduction to Yoga ws with P90X Yoga! I think it is a tough one but then again I am very new at it. I have used Cathe for many years and also lifted weights and run. I did get some other recommendations for Yoga workouts at VF. I ended up getting Baron Baptiste's and Bryan Kest yoga workouts. I like them alot and rotate then every week. I also think going to a class would be good for you, but I am really not the class or Gym type of person. I prefer working out in my home. Good luck to you...:)...Carole

I love Eoin Finn's Yoga for Happiness and I am going to order David Swensen's Primary Series on DVD. I used to do Flow Yoga with Tracey Rich and Ganga White. There's Earth, Air and Fire, which are beginner, intermediate and advanced. I like them very much. I started with Living Arts Yoga for Beginner's with Patricia Walden, another favorite. If you can, take a yoga class. I was always worried that my form wasn't correct and when I took my first classes, I know I was right to worry! LOL! Getting the correct alignment with an instructor to show me really helped my home workouts and yoga is wonderful! We did assited handstand in the middle of the room last night and I popped right up, partially thanks to Cathe and my upper body strength. I actually think I may be able to do it unassisted before I die, if I stay with it. :) I stink at alot of the poses but I excel at enough to keep me coming back for more and I am amazed at how it's strengthened my shoulders, triceps and back muscles along with upper body weight training. And even legs develop if you work them hard to stablize the standing poses. I never dreamed I might walk out of a class feeling like I'd just done Bootcamp but it has happened and I love it!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

- Mary Oliver

The Brian Kest series is great, "Tone, Sweat and Energize." I have used them for a few years and wish he would make more videos. If you are an exerciser, they will be fine for you. Just don't expect to be able to do the poses the same way as his students. But keep working on it and you will eventually get there (about a year.)

RE: Hey Bobbi!!!

Congrats on your handstand, isn't it an amazing feeling to come into an asana that you previously thought 'not in this lifetime!':) I did my first headstand at 38 and finally had the shoulder stability to confidently enter 1/2 plank (chaturanga) at 41. Maybe someday I'll be able to confidently come into crow......maybe,.....oh well, it keeps me humble:). Sounds like you've really been enjoying your yoga practise, that's terrific!! :)

Take Care
Laurie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back