Xtrain Question!

che0013

Hi Cathe (or anyone else that would be glad to share there opinion),

So I haven't exercised all year (so about 10 weeks), and am extremely unfit. I'm 20 years old and of healthy body weight and size, and have tried Cathe's DVD's in the past and found them to be amazing.

Anyway, I decided to invest in Xtrain, and have started this week! So today I did Cardio Leg Blast for the first time....and I am so disappointed in myself! I got 25 minutes into the workout because my legs turned to jelly, and I didn't even do that 25 minutes consistently (I had to stop exercises early due to fatigue).

Is this normal for someone who hasn't exercised in a while?

I'm a bit of a perfectionist in that I like to do it all perfect and properly so I just feel a bit disappointed in myself is all. How long should it take to be able to do the whole workout in its entirety?

Also, I'm thinking of maybe next week, doing a cardio leg blast premix (one of the 33 or 35 minute ones), and then working up. Would this be a good way to go?

Would love some advice! :)

I have stopped and started exercising many times and yes, it is normal to struggle when you start back. Don't get discouraged! Every time it will get better and you'll be able to do more. Premixes are a great option as well as the pause button. Like Cathe says, pause and she'll be there when you're ready. I am able to make it all through tabatacise and wow I wasn't any where near being able to do that when I started! In a few weeks when you make it through cardio leg blast you will feel so awesome! Stick with it and you will amaze yourself! Remember train like a warrior ;-))

Yes, that is normal. I have been exercising regularly for more than a decade; however, when I first started working out, I couldn't make it through an hour long workout. I would stop when I had to and start again as soon as I was able. I didn't even pause the video back then because if I had an hour long workout might have taken me 2 hours! Within a month I could do the entire hour workout without stopping.

More recently, I did 6 weeks of Xtrain then went on a two week vacation. I actually brought Travel Fit and Slide N Glide with me, but never ended up using them. We are on the go on vacation--on our feet 12 hours a day trying to see everything. So I thought, even though I didn't "workout" I walked nonstop every single day. Maybe not as good as formal workouts, but close, right?

WRONG!

I came back and picked up the Xtrain rotation where I left off and OMG. Just two weeks managed to decondition me! I would have never guessed. I was able to get through the workouts but I was DYING by the end of them--and Cardio Leg Blast was one of the the first ones I did again. I had no problem with it just two weeks prior when I was exercising every day, never missing a day. But two weeks off and it was nightmarish!

FYI--It's been 3 weeks since I've been back from vacation and I am back to where I was before I left. It wasn't until this week however that I started feeling "normal" again when I workout. So it takes time. Keep at it and you'll get there!

Thanks for your replies ladies :)

Yeah, I know its pointless expecting to be able to do it all right away when I haven't exercised at all in about 12 weeks..........

But I guess I'm just disappointed at just how unfit I actually am. Like, the warm up left me breathless. It was just disappointing. But oh well, I guess the only way to succeed is to keep doing it - consistently!

And today! Well today I can't walk properly...and I only did the first 23 mins of cardio leg blast last night! That's how unfit I am!

I think next week I'll do one of the 30 something minute premixes and get that down pat, then increase gradually. I think it will take me more than a month to be able to do it all....maybe more like 2 months :p

It's normal to struggle the first time you do any of Cathe's workouts.....thats a good thing....that means you grow in fitness everytime you workout

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.