Worried Sick--Sono at 37 weeks

Manmohini

Cathlete
I had a sono this morning. My doctor wanted to check to make sure that my low lying placenta (from my 4 month sono) had migrated. 90% of the time, it usually migrates. Well, mine is still low--not covering the cervix--but low enough for concern. Of course, I had my heart set on natural childbirth, but now I'm just terrified something could go wrong.

The doctor wants to do another sono next week (which I don't feel good about because I want to limit exposure to those tests). He wants to see if it's pushed up more. I was under the impression that if the placenta hadn't migrated upwards by 37 weeks, it probably wouldn't. As the tech said this morning, the baby is taking up all of my space now, so I don't know how migration is to occur. Has anyone else had this happen?
Manmohini

Manmohini,

I have no idea about this but I just wanted to say I will be praying that you and baby stay safe and healthy, whether that means natural childbirth or not.

I'll be thinking about you!:D

Manmohini,

My placenta didn't migrate, and my baby never turned - her head was at my rib cage from 6 months onward. I ended up having a scheduled C-section - not much choice, nothing I could do about it. I had wanted to have a natural birth, but it just wasn't to be. Now, more than 5 years later, I don't even think about it anymore; my daughter is healthy and active, and I can hardly see my C-section scar.

I know this is a tough time for you. The migration may yet happen, but if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. Unfortunately these things aren't predictable. It sounds as if you and your baby are in good hands. You're almost at the end of this journey and ready to start a new one!

I think you mentioned at one point that you are an older first-time mom? Me too - I was 41 when I had my daughter.

All the best
Stebby

I had a low lying placenta with my second baby that continued to migrate until 38 weeks when it completely cleared the danger zone. I ended up having a section anyway, just like with my first baby.
I had my heart set on vaginal births as well, but it just wasn't in the cards for me.
I have never had feelings of regret that I didn't have natural births. After my first emergency section I realized that the miracle of birth is not the birth itself, but that my body was the vessel used to create this perfect little life. I was just so relieved that my baby was okay.
To be very honest, as the years have gone by, and I've heard my friends' horror stories of 4th and 5th degree tears/episiotomies, I'm grateful that my vajayjay was spared the trauma!
Don't be scared if you end up having a section. It is a longer recovery, but it will be okay. Plus, you still get a baby out of the deal either way. :)

My placenta was low for my first child, but then it migrated up - I ended out with a natural birth. But I was getting myself ready for a possible Cesarean. I didn't want to have one, but there's really not much you can do about it. It's more important that you and your child stay danger-free.

If your placenta stays low, try to come up with things that may help the Cesarean more comfortable. One thing I liked was that my hospital allowed patients to bring in their own music to listen to during the operation, either in headphones or playing in the operating room. Having that option would have helped me relax a bit.

It will all work out! I know it's stressful now, but it won't make any difference once your child is born. Having your baby in your arms will take away all prior concerns!

Tracy

Thank you for words and wishes, ladies. Well, here's the update. I spoke with the doctor today, and he told me that my placenta is a low risk situation and that we would go ahead with labor but be on the lookout for any blood. He said he definitely orders scheduled c-sections in cases of previa or partial previa. He said that cases of marginal previa are less risky, although still risky, so he usually recommends a C-section in those cases as well. My placenta, he said is neither of these--it's just low, so he is not recommending a C-section at this time. Right now, he wants to go ahead with natural labor, but he wants me to be prepared for a quick change of plans--and a ride down the hall for a quick C-section--if there is any bleeding. I can live with this.

Yes, of course, my top priority is that my son enter the world in health, however that takes place. Natural childbirth would be ideal (and I think with most pregnancies it can happen), but it there's a complication, then obviously some change of plans is needed.
Manmohini

It sounds like you and your doctor have it under control. I am going to be attempting a VBAC, in the hospital, monitoring for any complications. So, in a way, I can sympathize with your position. I hope we both have successful natural births and happy healthy babies!

Good luck! :)

Manmohini,

I'm so glad to hear that you're going to be able to attempt a natural childbirth! I totally understand how much it means to you and how you must be torn between keeping your son healthy and honoring your own beliefs about giving birth.

I know a bunch of women who've had emergency C's -- from what they've said, if they had thought about it and accepted the possibility of it in advance it really would have helped them (mentally anyway). Always pays to be open minded. I'm trying to be in that place myself so I don't feel let down if nature takes a turn, it could happen to any of us. My plan is to keep my baby in mind and do whatever I need to do to keep her safe and healthy.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers for a safe, quick, and easy childbirth.

Take care,
Steph

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.