Working Towards a Miltary Push Up

KissedbySunshine

Dear Cathe,

I'm a fairly strong female regarding weights, but somehow I find it ridiculously impossible to complete a military push up. I think my core might not be strong enough since my back starts to hurt after only about 4. I believe 6 might be the most that I can do. Also, my elbows have the tendency to flare out. I can do some wide stance push up but the 30 military push up in meso 1 week 1 are too difficult and I drop to my knees. Is there a way to correct this? If so, how often should I do this?

Kissedbysunshine

Kissedbysunshine,

I had the same problem, but for me it's more the pain in my shoulder that restrict the regular military push-ups. However, lately in a magazine I read an article about mastering "real" push-ups as well as pull-ups.For push-ups, they suggest starting facing a staircase, with an angle of about 45degrees. I live in a condo and don't have a staircase. However, I felt I was strong enough to start with the 14" step. Anyway, you start with your first level, do 1 set of 15 push-ups (stop and rest 30-60 sec. at any time you need). Then position yourself about 6 inches away from the steps, lower your hands one step lower and aim again for 15 push-ups. Repeat going "down the steps" again you are on the floor. It should take about 6 weeks to acheive this.
When I tried from the 14" step I was able to do all push-ups and my shoulder did not hurt as much. I will next lower to 8" then 6" and finally to the floor.
I hope this helps.
Christiane

Low Impact Circuit actually has a section on working your way into a military push up. She has her knees engaged on the way down, then straightens the legs on the way up, and also does reps with the legs straight on the way down, and then goes to the knees on the way up.

Kissedbysunshine,

I had the same problem, but for me it's more the pain in my shoulder that restrict the regular military push-ups. However, lately in a magazine I read an article about mastering "real" push-ups as well as pull-ups.For push-ups, they suggest starting facing a staircase, with an angle of about 45degrees. I live in a condo and don't have a staircase. However, I felt I was strong enough to start with the 14" step. Anyway, you start with your first level, do 1 set of 15 push-ups (stop and rest 30-60 sec. at any time you need). Then position yourself about 6 inches away from the steps, lower your hands one step lower and aim again for 15 push-ups. Repeat going "down the steps" again you are on the floor. It should take about 6 weeks to acheive this.
When I tried from the 14" step I was able to do all push-ups and my shoulder did not hurt as much. I will next lower to 8" then 6" and finally to the floor.
I hope this helps.
Christiane

I have a question ,in what magazine did you see this?
Thanks Eunice

I LOVE that advice! Thanks for sharing your knowledge! :)

Kissedbysunshine,

I hope this helps.
Christiane

Thanks so much!

I have similar shoulder pain doing a military push-up. Plus my back starts bending in. I do the core engagement, but I keep having to re-adjust.

I think I know the article you're talking about. Plus I know the push-up series in Low Impact Circuit. I have a hard time with those too. I can do wide stance but when my arms have to go back and there's more triceps involved, it just doesn't work for me. I'll try again though with the 14 inch step. Thanks!!!

I hope this helps.
Christiane
sàn gỗ | san go | trần thạch cao | tran thach cao sàn gỗ ngoài trời | gỗ ngoại thất | gỗ ngoại thất conwood
chuky.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.