will the weight vest(s) be washable?

Update on 1 missing weight in iron vest

Originally Posted by llp
Hi Kathryn-
I received my vest today and I really like it. One question that I have for you is (if you have the short/cool vest), did all the pockets come filled with the weights? I have 18 pockets, but only 17 were filled. I left a message on their voicemail, so, I will find out from them, but, thought I'd check with you first to see if this was the case for you.

Kathryn wrote:
I honestly can't remember if all the pockets were filled: it's been a while since I got it, and I already had quite a few of the same types of weights around from my other vest and ankle weights/belt. It does seem odd, though, that it would be one short. I think it's just a boo-boo on their part.

Hi again:
The Ironwear vest people are sending the 1/2 pound weight (which they accidentally left out of my vest) in the mail to me. It is already packed up and ready to be sent to me. The vest itself is 1/2#, and it is actually just supplied with 18 1/2# weights to total a filled vest of 9.5#.

I also talked to the guy on the phone about the size(it fits my size 6 chest good). I guess the velcro totally can be unattached from the front so that the sides are OPEN, so it will fit large people, up to a 48 inch chest. So, my comments before about it not fitting a med/large man are wrong! I felt like a doofus because I didn't understand it! But, he said I am not the first to not understand it! :rolleyes: He wants to get some better descriptions on their website. They seem like they give good customer service!

linda

After the first few times I wore it, and decided that I didn't need/want to wash two tops after my workouts, I started wearing it with nothing underneath: it's not irritating, and there are no gaps anywhere to show anything I don't want to be seen.

IMO QUOTE]

kathryn.... do mean commando commando? or commando with a sportsbra commando?

kathryn.... do mean commando commando? or commando with a sportsbra commando?

Commando, as in 'nothing on underneath' (that's what commando means, right? ;-) )

The first few times I wore it with a sports bra on underneath, but I didn't see why I'd want to wash two things if it wasn't necessary, so I started wearing it on with no top on. It's form-fitting enough, and covers everything I need covered, and doesn't chafe.

I just had to remember not to try to take it off before I got home!

I promised to get back here to give you my impressions of using this vest. I got a chance to test out my new Ironwear Short Cool vest using Cathe’s Lower Body Pyramid workout yesterday, so I got to test it out wearing it through leg presses, static lunges, regular squats, & plie squats. I didn’t use it on deadlifts or calf raises, but, I probably could have!

I filled 18 pockets in the vest with 18 weights to total 9.5 pounds on the vest(9# in weights + ½# vest weight = 9.5# total vest weight). Then I figured out how to load my barbell; I loaded it with slightly more total weight(vest + BB) than what I normally do in this workout.

I really liked the fact I could lift the BB over my head so much more easily!!! I could definitely feel the slightly higher total weight (with BB and vest), so was glad that I could keep increasing the BB more if/when I became ready for it. If I want to increase my total weight, I could also do it by incrementally adding ½ # weights to the vest to go up to 18.5#’s! I would probably do this in 1# increments, though, so I could evenly distribute the weights as I added them. Of course, I’d take this slow, and it might take months to get 18#’s into the vest J.

One thing I’d do differently is not put the full 9#’s of weights on the first time(or next time for that matter!). The extra weight on my shoulders made my shoulders kind of tired! I think putting 9.5#’s on my shoulders all at once was too much for me. Just wearing the vest around the house with 9.5#’s was fine, but, the workout sort of enhanced my shoulder stress. I also found when I sat at the computer for an hour or so with it on, it hurt my lower back with the extra weight. I have damage to my L4 & L5 in my spine so that’s why this happens to me. I think in my next workout I will put in 4 or 5 pounds, instead of 9 to give my shoulders a break(and adjust the BB weight accordingly). My opinion, FWIW, is getting a vest with weights which you can vary is beneficial, especially if you find that the 9.5 pounds is too much, you can adjust it next time(or right then and there) instead of being stuck with a non-adjustable weighted vest. It’s pretty much customizable that way J

Also, I found that while needing to change the weights on my BB while pyramiding up or down, bending down added a bit to the workout(could be a benefit !), with the extra 9.5#’s on my upper body. Be careful, not to bend down to quickly ‘coz you could tweak out your back…

Obviously, I really like this vest for all its qualities, but, I’d just be repeating myself (you can read my previous postings in this thread), so I’ll just leave it at that for now, ‘coz I don’t need to be writing a novel here…J

Hope this info helps someone!

Now I can concentrate on watching the Olympics….

linda
:D

Glad your first workout with the vest went well! Isn't it nice to know you now have some leeway in being able to lift heavier, without worrying about how much your shoulders can handle?

About the shoulder stress: could you tighten the vest more around your torso to alleviate some of that ? One thing I really like about the vest is the way the velcro 'belts' are so adjustable (and it's important to have a snug fit when you're wearing it 'commando' in public, like I do!:cool:). I do think your idea to back down in weights, and then build up again incrementally, is wise. (I personally don't see the value in a non-adjustable weight vest for this very reason).

I agree about having to be careful when bending over with it on, especially as you increase weights. Even when putting away light weights, the time before and after the actual workout sets is a prime opportunity for injury risk, because a lot of people don't pay attention to their 'form' during that time (watch the way Amy Bento often puts down her barbell with a slightly rounded back between sets---yikes!).

Good to use a "deadlift, clean and press" action to get the bar from the ground, and the reverse to set it back. At the very least, this would be a good time to practice the 'lift with the legs, not the back' form one is supposed to use when picking things up off the floor; and to remember not to round the back.

Hmmm...I was going to wait for the Cathe vest to come out, but you both have me thinking that the adjustable may be the way to go. (Especially if I'm going to get the ankle weights eventually...would be nice to have them be interchangeable.)

Thanks for the info!

Princessbear wrote:
That helps a TON! Thanks for the "review" linda!

You’re welcome Mary!
linda

Kathryn wrote:
Glad your first workout with the vest went well! Isn't it nice to know you now have some leeway in being able to lift heavier, without worrying about how much your shoulders can handle?
yes!

About the shoulder stress: could you tighten the vest more around your torso to alleviate some of that ?
Good idea, I’ll try it next time. You always have great tips! One thing I really like about the vest is the way the velcro 'belts' are so adjustable (and it's important to have a snug fit when you're wearing it 'commando' in public, like I do! ). I do think your idea to back down in weights, and then build up again incrementally, is wise. (I personally don't see the value in a non-adjustable weight vest for this very reason). – I completely agree!!

I agree about having to be careful when bending over with it on, especially as you increase weights. Even when putting away light weights, the time before and after the actual workout sets is a prime opportunity for injury risk, because a lot of people don't pay attention to their 'form' during that time (watch the way Amy Bento often puts down her barbell with a slightly rounded back between sets---yikes!).

Good to use a "deadlift, clean and press" action to get the bar from the ground, and the reverse to set it back. At the very least, this would be a good time to practice the 'lift with the legs, not the back' form one is supposed to use when picking things up off the floor; and to remember not to round the back.

Good point Kathryn about picking up/putting down in deadlift, clean & press form. I do have Amy Bento All Pump X, but haven’t ever done it yet, so didn’t notice her bending her back;…interesting. I do have to bend my back when doing the actual plate switch and clip, but, I will see if it’s possible to do the switch in the deadlift form. It’s kind of hard when the bar is on the floor(rather than a higher plane), though. It will keep this thought in my head next time.

Hey Kathryn, we should make a FAQ page for Iron Fitness Wear! :eek: I wonder if people would be interested in this info and you could put it in your blog? I noticed there were lot of views on this thread, so maybe people are interested. I have lots of ideas going on in my head, but, I’ve really got to get to work…:(

Have a nice day,
linda

Hmmm...I was going to wait for the Cathe vest to come out, but you both have me thinking that the adjustable may be the way to go. (Especially if I'm going to get the ankle weights eventually...would be nice to have them be interchangeable.)

Thanks for the info!

Hi jodijodi:
You're welcome ;). I noticed that Ironwear Fitness has adjustable ankle weights, too. Here's the link: http://www.ironwearfitness.com/aio5.html

I don't have these, so I can't comment much on them, except for the fact they are adjustable from .5# to 5#'s, and they have those nice soft flexible weights.
I forgot to mention in my previous posts, that the weights don't look exacly like they do on the picture on their website.
They are flexible, as shown, but, they have a thin black jersey material encasing each weight(kind of like a very thin "sweater" for each one! :) )

jodi: I really enjoyed looking at your pictures and especially the mini videos of the workouts with Cathe at the RT. Thanks so much for sharing those!:p

linda

Hey Kathryn, we should make a FAQ page for Iron Fitness Wear! :eek: I wonder if people would be interested in this info and you could put it in your blog? I noticed there were lot of views on this thread, so maybe people are interested. I have lots of ideas going on in my head, but, I’ve really got to get to work…:(

If only I got a cut from sales made from my recommendations!

Hi jodijodi:
You're welcome ;). I noticed that Ironwear Fitness has adjustable ankle weights, too. Here's the link: http://www.ironwearfitness.com/aio5.html

I don't have these, so I can't comment much on them, except for the fact they are adjustable from .5# to 5#'s, and they have those nice soft flexible weights.

I have them, and I like them very much. They can even be joined together to make a weighted belt, and I've used them for that when doing one of the Slim Series workouts (that's all squats and lunges with no added weight).

i think you caused a run on these vests!

Due to an overwhelming demand this item is currently out of stock! Please call or email us if you would like to place a back order.

i think you caused a run on these vests!

Due to an overwhelming demand this item is currently out of stock! Please call or email us if you would like to place a back order.

Oh wow! I thought you were joking and went to the Ironwear website and discovered they REALLY are out. Oh, I'm sorry you didn't get yours:(, but, ya know, Cathe's shop has her version of the vest(not adjustable weights among other things). It's about $50 less, too, so that's a good thing;). They might have a run on Cathe's vest, too.

After I received my vest from them last Thursday, I wrote to Ironwear(when I was having them send one of the weights they accidentally left out of the vest). I told them a lot of people were considering buying it based on some information I was telling them. I didn't tell them I was on the Cathe forum telling people the info, though :).

linda

no problem..... i can backorder it! i have no intention of getting cathe's little 10 pound, basically unwashable and not adjustable vest! i want ease and convenience (throw it in the washer and walk away...) cuz no doubt it will need washing after every wearing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.