will the weight vest(s) be washable?

Newbie here..:eek:... Hi everyone! :)

I was just browsing the forums, and after reading several posts about weight vests, I'm wondering if this is something we'll need for STS? I'm guessing "yes." I haven't had time to follow Cathe's blog, so please forgive me if it's been mentioned there. TIA for a reply. ;)

hi carol!

"need"..... in a word: no!

there will be two separate leg workouts for the 3rd cycle.... plyo and heavy weight.... if you want to use heavy weight and don't have a squat rack, then the vest is a way to add weight... (although this one is only 10 pounds... so not sure how useful even for heavy legs it will be.... i'll still need a squat rack if i'm only adding a 10 or even 20 pound vest!)

i want it to use for other things like running on the treadmill, etc...... but since i sweat like a pig *gasp* i need the vest to be washable.... otherwise it will be quite grody after one use!

i like the design of the vest (what i can tell from blog pics) but it's all moot if i can't wash it!

hi carol!

"need"..... in a word: no!

there will be two separate leg workouts for the 3rd cycle.... plyo and heavy weight.... if you want to use heavy weight and don't have a squat rack, then the vest is a way to add weight... (although this one is only 10 pounds... so not sure how useful even for heavy legs it will be.... i'll still need a squat rack if i'm only adding a 10 or even 20 pound vest!)

i want it to use for other things like running on the treadmill, etc...... but since i sweat like a pig *gasp* i need the vest to be washable.... otherwise it will be quite grody after one use!

i like the design of the vest (what i can tell from blog pics) but it's all moot if i can't wash it!

Hey.... thanks so much for the reply! Nah.... I don't own a squat rack. :confused: I hadn't even heard of the "weight vest" until just today!!! :eek: I was at the dentist's office and we got to talking about the treadmill and he told me that he uses one for the treadmill. He adjusts his incline very high, wears the vest, and moves at a walker's pace since he doesn't like running. I feel like I must've been living under a rock having never heard of this vest! LOL. Thanks again for the reply!! Guess I need to start doing some shopping. ;)

opinions about ironwear short cool vest?it's washable!

bumping since i see cathe has been on line and i'd REALLY like to know if the vest is washable!

thanx

Hi!
Here's info on a washable adjustable vest...
I was thinking about getting this vest from ironwearfitness.com: http://www.ironwearfitness.com/cool-vestshort-breathable-1-to-18-lb-weighted-v.html
Yesterday when I put it in my shopping cart(but wanted to think about it more), it was $109.99. Today when I looked at it again, it was $99.99!!!(What a deal :) ! ) I am about to take the plunge & buy it, along with 2 extra weight kits. It is washable and weight-adjustable, and is the "cool" version, which is good for me 'coz I sweat a lot. The weights themselves are flexible so it looks pretty comfy.

I hope this is a good investment. Has anyone else purchased this short Cool Vest? What do you think about it? It seems to have all the features I want! But, I wonder do I really need it? :)

thank you!
linda

Hi Linda,

I don't have this weight vest, but it looks like a really good one, the only ones I can find in the store are longer and very bulky, I noticed they have one that goes up to 30 pounds but the price starts to get really high.

I had originally intended to buy one to assist with heavier barbell squats and wanted one with more weight, but I see people use them to add to full body weight workouts, and walking/running, and a bunch of other activities. Seems like a good idea.

Hi!
Here's info on a washable adjustable vest...
I was thinking about getting this vest from ironwearfitness.com: http://www.ironwearfitness.com/cool-vestshort-breathable-1-to-18-lb-weighted-v.html

I hope this is a good investment. Has anyone else purchased this short Cool Vest? What do you think about it? It seems to have all the features I want! But, I wonder do I really need it? :)
I have it, and I've been using it a lot for power walking, which makes me sweat a lot, so after about May, I had to start washing it after every use. It washes easily on the "handwash" cycle of the washer (which not all washers have...it's a step beyond the 'delicate' cycle). One tip: fold over the velcro closure on itself before washing, since it otherwise moves around and can catch on the fabric of the vest itself, leaving pills.

I find the vest very comfortable, easy to get on (the front zipper), and attractive enough to wear in public (not like my other Ironwear "SWAT-team" weigthed vest! Though one day I was thinking that the silver metallic color, combined with the filled weight packs, and MP3 headphone wire that I had threaded under the strap to keep the wire from flapping, and my wrist-mounted Garmin, I may have looked like I was wearing a C4explosive vest!).

After the first few times I wore it, and decided that I didn't need/want to wash two tops after my workouts, I started wearing it with nothing underneath: it's not irritating, and there are no gaps anywhere to show anything I don't want to be seen.

Another plus: it uses the same heavy rubber weights that the Ironwear ankle weight/belt use (and they are also an excellent investment, IMO).

Hi Dela: good to know you looked around and came to the conclusion this Short Cool Vest was a good idea.
and, Kathryn: I'm glad you piped in with your comments about your experience with the vest; you are always so knowledgeable and thorough when giving us all the info we need.
Thx for the tip on washing,.........and thx for the push the made me decide to purchase it! :)

I got a couple of other items, so I added to my expense of STS equipment :( . FYI, here's what I ended up getting and how much it was(I thought this info would be helpful in some way to people considering the vest):

2 Flex-metal™AdditionalWeight Kit * $45.98
(these will bring weight to 18lb when I'm ready)
1 Knuckle and Wrist Irons™Kit - RoyalBlue * $18.00
(Knuckle Irons remind me of Cathe's black gloves in her
picture on the top header of this forum :) ;they were
on sale with the wrist iron so I "had" to have them)
1 * #1 WALKING VEST * COOL VEST™(short) Breathable 1 to 18 lb.
Weighted Vest,Supplied with 9.5 lbs * $99.99
(washable, short, cool, good investment + Kathryn's
good experience comments)
Subtotal: $163.97
Shipping(oregon): $42.50*

Total: $206.47

poorer, but hopefully soon to be a bit more fit....,
linda :)

Last edited:
SNM..... will the weight vest(s)... both the 10 and 20 pounds ones... be washable?

You can hand wash, but not soak in water or machine wash. The X-Vest is made of Neoprene and Polyester, but has steel granules that are encased in plastic on the inside that could rust if the protective plastic coverings were to be damaged.

I ordered and received the ironwear short vest!-Kathryn:

Hi Kathryn-

I received my vest today and I really like it. One question that I have for you is (if you have the short/cool vest), did all the pockets come filled with the weights? I have 18 pockets, but only 17 were filled. I left a message on their voicemail, so, I will find out from them, but, thought I'd check with you first to see if this was the case for you.

I guess it is 9 or 10 pounds and it feels pretty heavy just sitting around with it on. I did order 10 more pounds of weights that I will be able to add as needed. I definitely think this is a good investment for my use through the future and through STS :rolleyes: It is pretty well-made, too(not flimsy), is washable, and weights go in 1/2 pound increments from 1 pound to 18 pounds.

I was surprised how small it was, considering it is a one-size fits all. I am about a size 6 (small size) on top and it is a really good fit for me. Of course I snug it up with the velcro. If you are a large size, I bet it would be too tight. My husband wears medium to large men sizes and this vest is waaay too tight for him(he can't even zip it up).

thank you!
Linda

Hi Kathryn-
I received my vest today and I really like it. One question that I have for you is (if you have the short/cool vest), did all the pockets come filled with the weights? I have 18 pockets, but only 17 were filled. I left a message on their voicemail, so, I will find out from them, but, thought I'd check with you first to see if this was the case for you.

I honestly can't remember if all the pockets were filled: it's been a while since I got it, and I already had quite a few of the same types of weights around from my other vest and ankle weights/belt. It does seem odd, though, that it would be one short. I think it's just a boo-boo on their part.

9-10# does feel heavy. I recommend starting light, depending on what you're using it for. When I started using it for walking, I started with 2.5 pounds (I like to be conservative), then added first 1/2 pound every 3-4 days, until I got to 3.5 pounds, then added 1# after I read Debbie Rocker's advice about adding 2# each increment....but I still wanted to increase more incrementally than that... and 4.5 or whatever fit in the pockets in a more-evenly-distributed way than either the increment above or below (I started filling around the bottom, then up the center back, then on the sides of the back). I got up to 7# (plus the weight of a filled water bottle and water-bottle holder belt, which added about 1# when full).

For weights, you can definitely go heavier right away.

Enjoy your new toy! (Are you wearing it 'commando" like I do? ;)

I honestly can't remember if all the pockets were filled: it's been a while since I got it, and I already had quite a few of the same types of weights around from my other vest and ankle weights/belt. It does seem odd, though, that it would be one short. I think it's just a boo-boo on their part.

9-10# does feel heavy. I recommend starting light, depending on what you're using it for. When I started using it for walking, I started with 2.5 pounds (I like to be conservative), then added first 1/2 pound every 3-4 days, until I got to 3.5 pounds, then added 1# after I read Debbie Rocker's advice about adding 2# each increment....but I still wanted to increase more incrementally than that... and 4.5 or whatever fit in the pockets in a more-evenly-distributed way than either the increment above or below (I started filling around the bottom, then up the center back, then on the sides of the back). I got up to 7# (plus the weight of a filled water bottle and water-bottle holder belt, which added about 1# when full).

For weights, you can definitely go heavier right away.

Enjoy your new toy! (Are you wearing it 'commando" like I do? ;)

Hi Kathryn-
That was a fast response! You are either up really late, or in my same time zone(Pacific)--I live in Portland...

I'm planning to use it for adding incremental weights for squats, but, haven't really thought anything out yet(I'm just trying to get all the stuff I think I need for STS).

I think this is a very comfortable vest, but, while I was sitting at the computer, my lower back was hurting(I have damage to L4 and L5), so I took it off(and my son is wearing now). I think if I am walking around or doing weight work it won't be a problem and I should be able to increase above 10# ;).

Nope, I hadn't planned to go "commando"! But, I do remember you wrote that you did!

I sure like this! Oh, have I said that before? :eek:

Thanks for your tips!! I will follow your advice;)

linda

Hi Kathryn-
That was a fast response! You are either up really late, or in my same time zone(Pacific)--I live in Portland...

Unfortunately, up late (I'm in Central time zone): the meds I'm taking for poison ivy (prednisone) wreck havoc with sleeping, so while the good news is that I did get a late-afternoon nap in to make up for the 3-4 hours not-in-a-row of sleep I got last night, it ended up being longer than I planned, and I woke up around 8:30, so decided to stay up a bit longer rather than go to bed again!

Portland: a supposed paradise for vegans! I've toyed with the idea of retiring there, but it seems like it might be a too-big city for moi.

I definitely see how wearing the vest heavy while seated at the computer could put strain on the back, because most people (me included--I just did a posture check, and didn't get an "A"!) don't pay enough attention to posture while at a desk or computer. When my posture isn't quite right walking, I feel a little 'reminder' in my back. Also, I think the seated position in general might not be good when wearing the vest: it's not a good position to stay in normally, with no added weights, and the added weights just accentuate the 'bad' stuff.

(I'm feeling ready for bed now! Have a good night!/almost morning!)

Oh yes, your prednisone is affecting you....
I have been on it a few times when my excema got too out of control.
(Not a real good idea to do often :(). It gave me so much energy, that my workouts were great! And, I only needed 4-6 hours of sleep. I got soo omuch done. If I was on it longer than 2 weeks(1 time), it did wear me down because my body really physically did need the rest, but, my mind wouldn't stop.

Portland is very friendly to vegans; lots of restaurants that cater to vegetarians, and lots of Asian influences and other ethnic food influences, too. A good place for food.... The city itself isn't THAT big, and you can live 10-15 miles outside of Portland, in the smaller outer cities to get a smaller town feel but, bt close enough to Portland to get the "big"-city shopping and eating advantages :cool:. Oh, and it hasn't rained for awhile, so I'm kind of missing that now! On Friday, it's going to be 104 degrees!

Oh yeah, they have lots of Farmers Markets going on during the summers,so you can get farm-fresh veggies everywhere now!

Well, I hope you can get some sleep. When will you start tapering your meds?

I guess this conversation got sidetracked into something other than the ironwear vest. oops:eek:

linda

Hi Kathryn-

I guess it is 9 or 10 pounds and it feels pretty heavy just sitting around with it on. I did order 10 more pounds of weights that I will be able to add as needed. I definitely think this is a good investment for my use through the future and through STS :rolleyes: It is pretty well-made, too(not flimsy), is washable, and weights go in 1/2 pound increments from 1 pound to 18 pounds.

I was surprised how small it was, considering it is a one-size fits all. I am about a size 6 (small size) on top and it is a really good fit for me. Of course I snug it up with the velcro. If you are a large size, I bet it would be too tight. My husband wears medium to large men sizes and this vest is waaay too tight for him(he can't even zip it up).

thank you!
Linda

Linda:

I'd be curious as to how you like it when you squat!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back