will it matter in the end????

This exercise lover had a 4 piece fried chicken dinner, washed down with a humongous piece of lemon meringue pie last night for dinner and didn't feel the least bit guilty!!

In my 20s, I once read in one of my macrobiotic journals (when i was going through a very strict/obsessive phase in my life) that how we eat is more important than what we eat. In other words, to paraphrase, it is better to light your candles and lay out your finest china to slowly savor and give thanks for your hamburger and fries than to shovel your brown rice into your mouth before rushing to your next Bikram yoga class.

Especially since marrying and having my two girls, I have tried to strike a balance. Perfect? Never, but far more flexible than I have ever been (I didn't use butter for 10 years - trust me I was over the edge; hello therapy!). But as I sit here telecommuting/working from my parents' house today while my Dad is in the hospital with end stage lung cancer, I can truly say that no no no, it is not worth missing out on life - LIFE! - for exercise. If I can spend these coming days/weeks/months being with him over exercise, then I will do it. I thank the good Lord I had children who mirror the ill effects of my controlling ways every day and remind me of the important lessons in life. MY DH as well, who's motto in life is fun fun fun. I should have married and had kids 15 - ha!

Skip a workout, go watch a sunrise and accept your beautiful self for who you are. You learned a great lesson this weekend - dare i say you got still long enough to receive it? I am getting a bit woo woo here, but I don't know. Sometimes woo woo is what is needed.

Peace out all!

Julie

Fit Over 40

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.