Wii games

sancho

Cathlete
Hi,

We've owned our Wii for about a year and have used it twice. The only game we have is the one that came with it. I'm trying to decide if I should sell it, or get another game to see if that will help. Our family is myself, my husband and two 8 year old daughters. I didn't like the sports package because I would rather be doing all of those activities for real instead of playing them on the computer. Even my kids didn't take to it. They'd rather play nintendo or on the computer. They are active, so it's not the activity requirments that turns them off. Are there any games that your family really enjoys?????

We've got a bunch of games, some more popular than others. I have to admit, it's not really the movement games that hold their attention the longest...we are big Mario fans around here, so Mario Party 8 and Super Mario Galaxy have gotten the most use lately. The wii fit was popular for a while, but it seems to have taken a back seat to Mario Party 8 (which really doesn't require too much moving around for the most part.)

There are a couple of DDR games for the wii if you think they might like to dance.

Another idea is to rent games at Blockbuster to give them a try. We've found a few good ones that way, and it's a lot cheaper than buying them and finding out the hard way that they don't like them.

Give me a call if you want...you (and your kids/hubby) are welcome to come over and give our games a try to see if your crew will like them! :)

Last edited:
i had a few games and sold them. dh beat endless ocean in a week!!! the game cost us 45 and we barely got $15 for it. the same as you its not the activity its just that its almost to easy now. i hate the idea of spending another $40-50 on a game if i am not going to play that either. i would like to try to get jillian's game for it but its such an expensive chance. although i should ask blockbuster if they plan on getting it.

also i was going to say rent a game for a week for about $10 to see if that helps. blockbuster also has a monthly game plan where its $20 a month and you can rent as many games as you want in that month,although only one game out at a time. just a thought to a cheaper way to see if it would work. our problem is that we get bored with the games or beat them easily. except zelda which dh is still working on LOL.

kassia

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and MarioKart are the popular faves in my house. SuperMario Galaxy is right up there too. None of them require movement if you don't want to. We love our Wii! My SO has a couple of Resident Evil games that are a lot of fun if you don't mind blood and gore (I can't even look at them!). The fun thing about games like MarioKart and the other Mario games is the more you play them, the more levels and fun things you unlock!

I love MarioKart, CSI (not for kids), Zelda Twilight Princess, and Guitar Hero (I'm a fanatic). I also have the Wii Fit balance board and there are a lot of fun games for that. Oh, and I have Wii Ski. My DH and I like playing that together although I usually lose him somewhere on the mountain and we have to meet up again at the lodge so we get on the same chair lift. I would be bored too if all I had were the original "sample" games that came with the system. I go on Amazon.com and read all the reviews on games before buying. I make a point to read the negative ones. And then I shop around and try to find the lowest price. I only paid over $40 for one game and that was Guitar Hero - came with guitar though.

We love MarioKart at our house too! It is tough on the Wii to keep the darn car on the road! It was much easier on the Gamecube!

Carrie

Another vote for MarioKart. DS bought that for me for Mother's Day along with the steering wheel. We have our Wii hooked up to our wireless internet connection and can play games against people all over the world.

Another favorite is WarioWare Smooth Moves. This is great for multiple players where you pass the remote around and you have to perform whatever is shown on the screen (ie squat, hulahoop, answer phone, shave, drink a glass of water etc). It starts slow and gets faster as the game goes along. Very fun!

Mario Party 8 is also fun. We like the sports package but play it for fun not for exercise. But you can definitely work up a sweat if you want.

DH's grandma lives in a senior housing community and they have a Wii. The residents formed bowling teams and have tournaments weekly. It is hilarious to watch them having so much fun and goading eachother.

I agree with renting some games and see if you like them before you buy.

JJ

Another vote for MarioKart!! LOVE it! :D I also really love WarioWare: Smooth Moves, but it does require movement and is kind of... well... strange. But I have a weird sense of humor and it totally cracks me up. :p

My 8 year old daughter loves High School Musical Karaoke (comes with a mic), and Wii Ski. I really enjoy Dancing With the Stars. Wii Play also got a lot of use around here.

HTH,
Sandra

We have a few games; Wii Fit, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8, Wii Play, Wii Sports, Ice Age 2. We don't play all the time but we do play here and there. We enjoy the time together.

Wii Fit, the whole family gets involved trying to beat each other's scores.

Mario Party 8, we play together as well.

Ice Age 2 and Super Paper Mario, my daughter plays and she seems to enjoy them.

We love MarioKart at our house too! It is tough on the Wii to keep the darn car on the road! It was much easier on the Gamecube!

Carrie

I thought it was hard on the Gamecube, so much easier to keep the car on the road in real life. I just CANNOT drive on video games.

Another favorite is WarioWare Smooth Moves. This is great for multiple players where you pass the remote around and you have to perform whatever is shown on the screen (ie squat, hulahoop, answer phone, shave, drink a glass of water etc). It starts slow and gets faster as the game goes along. Very fun!

JJ

This sounds like fun. I will have to check it out.

Is Warioware good if you don't have children? What are some games that are good for a person who has no kids?

I already have Rockband, Wii Fit, Endless Ocean, and the sports games.

These are the ones that I am considering to purchase (not all I will have to make a choice):
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009- Reviews say it is no good. Has anyone here tried it?
NBA Live 09 All Play– Has anyone tried it?
Super Mario Galaxy – Can some explain this one to me?
Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast – Has anyone tried it?

I have to buy a couple of Christmas Gifts and would like your opinions on the following:

For the 5-6 year old
Bratz Girlz Really Rock
We Cheer
Barbie as The Island Princess
Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey

For an adult who always watches CSI:
CSI: Hard Evidence

Thanks

I thought it was hard on the Gamecube, so much easier to keep the car on the road in real life. I just CANNOT drive on video games.

Why is it so hard to drive on a game? Heck, I can't even drive the cars at amusement parks and they are kind of on tracks!!

Carrie

I have to buy a couple of Christmas Gifts and would like your opinions on the following:

For the 5-6 year old
Bratz Girlz Really Rock
We Cheer

Thanks

I have We Cheer and absolutely LOVE it. It can be difficult to catch on to, however; you have to follow the cheerleader's arms to pass the song. I'm going to give it to DD for her 7th birthday next month, and see if she has the patience to learn it. It requires 2 remotes.

She and her 4-year-old sister have Enchanted Journey and like it, although the witch makes them run screaming from the room :) Other games that older DD likes include Big Brain Academy (good for practicing math), Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Wii Play and Wario Ware Smooth Moves. And she and I both love Active Life Outdoor Challenge, which comes with a mat and is a great workout.

These are the ones that I am considering to purchase (not all I will have to make a choice):
Jillian Michaels Fitness Ultimatum 2009- Reviews say it is no good. Has anyone here tried it?
NBA Live 09 All Play– Has anyone tried it?
Super Mario Galaxy – Can some explain this one to me?
Donkey Kong: Barrel Blast – Has anyone tried it?

For the 5-6 year old
Bratz Girlz Really Rock
We Cheer

For an adult who always watches CSI:
CSI: Hard Evidence

Thanks

Mario Galaxy is much fun!!! This one is my game. Pretty much the same Mario concept - save the princess. It is almost in 4 dimensions, as you go around all sides of the planets - it is not a "flat" game. You move from galaxy (level) to galaxy and play different worlds (stages) of each one. It is alot of fun, they each have a different theme. And you collect coins and stars as you go, and are also helping these cute little star guys. I haven't finished yet, but Bowser is the big enemy in this one, too. You use both controllers to play (the Wii mote and the nunchuck) and it really is a lot of fun. Not too hard, not too easy. Although I did get a bit ticked at the last level I played and haven't played in a bit. I got frustrated and the more frustrated I got, the harder it got. I wasn't in the mood and probably shouldn't have been playing to begin with. It really is alot of fun. The levels are fairly short, so you can play for 30 mins and be done, or get all wrapped up in it and end up wasting an afternoon (not that I have done that :p). I'd say buy it, its alot of fun. If you don't want to spend the cash, try getting it used from a game resale shop or Blockbuster. If you liked the other Mario games, this one is a ton of fun.

Nan

Great review of Mario Galaxy, Nan!

WarioWare is fun for adults too. It's sort of hard to explain...it's a bunch of super-quick mini-games, many of them only a few seconds long. You don't get a lot of instruction, except for a picture of a "pose" to tell you how to hold the remote. (There is a kind of yoga-esque vibe to some of it, where you do the poses. Like I said, hard to explain.) So it might tell you to hold the remote upright, then you have to hit the button at the correct time to open an umbrella. There's a funny one where you have to aim the remote in the correct direction to direct boys and girls to the correct restroom. You get to "fail" a certain number of the mini-games before your turn is over, or if you do well, you go to the next (harder) level.

It's fun for a group. One player plays at a time, but it's fun to watch others play.

Has anyone tried Wii Music yet? I am so curious to try it. I think the kids might like that one.

Mario Galaxy is much fun!!! This one is my game. Pretty much the same Mario concept - save the princess. It is almost in 4 dimensions, as you go around all sides of the planets - it is not a "flat" game. You move from galaxy (level) to galaxy and play different worlds (stages) of each one. It is alot of fun, they each have a different theme. And you collect coins and stars as you go, and are also helping these cute little star guys. I haven't finished yet, but Bowser is the big enemy in this one, too. You use both controllers to play (the Wii mote and the nunchuck) and it really is a lot of fun. Not too hard, not too easy. Although I did get a bit ticked at the last level I played and haven't played in a bit. I got frustrated and the more frustrated I got, the harder it got. I wasn't in the mood and probably shouldn't have been playing to begin with. It really is alot of fun. The levels are fairly short, so you can play for 30 mins and be done, or get all wrapped up in it and end up wasting an afternoon (not that I have done that :p). I'd say buy it, its alot of fun. If you don't want to spend the cash, try getting it used from a game resale shop or Blockbuster. If you liked the other Mario games, this one is a ton of fun.

Nan

Nan, thank you so much for the review. I think this is a game that I will really like. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.