Who's your second favorite workout instructor???

angie_nrs

Cathlete
I was hoping all of you smart workout guru's could help me here.

I love Cathe and have the majority of her workouts. I'm on my last week of P90X and now I realize how important changing up my rountine can be. I've been doing Cathe for years and have never felt a need before P90X to do anything else. But, my body transformation after the X has certainly changed my mind. Don't get me wrong, I am soooooo missing my Cathe workouts, and can't wait to do one again, but I want to keep my body guessing. I just want to expand my horizons (so to speak) and my workout library.

I have already done Karen Voight, Gin Miller, & Kelly Roberts - all of which seem too easy or bland after Cathe. I only have time to workout about an hour a day. My favorite Cathe workout is IMAX2 (surprise) - love the music! I don't like kickboxing! x(

I have heard raves about Tracie Long, Christi Taylor, Jari Love, Tracey Staehle, Amy Bento, Turbo Jam, Mindy Mylea, etc.

So, with that being said - which workout (in particular) would you suggest? I have limited $$ and I want a challenge, especially for the abs. I'm getting very tired of ab ripper X, but it was/is effective. I'm looking for workouts that will continue to change my body. The video clips on collagevideo.com are too short to really get a good idea of how I will like the videos that I have checked out so far. Cathe's site does an amazing job of doing this IMHO. But, I digress....

I would be very appreciative of your input. Cathe has spoiled me so much! Can't wait to see what you all post;) :7

Angie

You can't go wrong with Jari Love or Mindy Mylrea. Most people do seem to like both of their workout styles. The other's on your list are strictly personal preference, some like 'em and some don't.

Here's another to consider, Billy Blanks new Tae Bo Amped workouts. They are getting very good accolaids and if you're looking for ab specific you might want to look at the clips on his website. I know, you said you didn't like kickbox but you have Turbo Jam on your list. :)

Christi Taylor is really good and FUN. You would probably like "Fantastic Four," as it has both step and hi/low choreography. Christi is excellent at cardio, but not as good at weights.

If you want to focus on abs, he "Solid Gold Step" (Also Christi Taylor) has a great bonus abs section as well as a fun cardio step workout. Kari Anderson has "Curl" which is a challenging 20 minute ab workout and really gave me definition.

i guess it depend what we are talking about. I like Karen voight but mostly for yoga. I dont care for her cardio. I was working on finding someone else i could put in my rotation also. I use to do a lot of gin millers step but havent done her in a while.

Melissa

I really like the Turbo Jam series. That's what I was doing before I found Cathe. I still incorporate it a little because I think it's good standing ab work and I don't have all of Cathe's workouts yet.

Tracie Long! I think her workouts from the Tracie Long Training series are excellent. Jen Carmen and Susan Harris (who also are in the series) are excellent. I also am fortunate enough to have the first prints of Strong Bear and Fast Cheetah from the Fitprime series (the later additions use other instructors and are not as challenging) on DVD--you may be able to snatch these up on Ebay if you are so inclined. She focuses on functional fitness and incorporates very unique (but challenging) moves.

It really depends on what you like. Every one of the instructors mentioned here is very, very different. Some people love them, some people hate them, so it's hard to say.

Do you have Netflix? If so, you can rent a variety of workouts and isntructors from them. That might give you a better idea whose style you click with.

BTW, my second fave is Tony. :7

Marie

I love Billy Blanks but you don't like kickboxing:(
I just ordered a dvd of Amy Bento. I'll let ya know how I like it as I have never tried her before!

I am so spoiled by Cathe (aren't we all!), but do need to mix it up a bit from time to time. It is like i love my best girl friend.. but cannot see her every day. I really like Tracey Staehle, her step and kickbox is so much fun and her new series looks great (pre order is on now.. cannot wait to get it). Amy Bento is great as well. You can veiw pretty long clips on their own sites to get an idea if it is something you would enjoy.

www.fitbytracey.com

www.nrgfitness.net

I like Tracey Staehle I think she is my #2! But like it has been said before it is a matter of personal taste. It was mentioned before about a site called FlickeyFit.com. It is similiar to netflix but has all fitness rentals. You might want to check that out too.

Jenn

<<Tony Horton. High intensity & smokin hot. What more could you ask for? ;-) >>

Ditto! Not to mention that most of the guys who are in his P90X workout crew are also smokin' hot. }(

I really enjoy Amy Bento (most recent offerings more than the other ones as they are much longer). Her Hi/Lo is really good.....but her step (for me) is sort of confusing. She doesn't really teach combos....just sort of does them. Her new Pump Xtreme is excellent, as is Hi/Lo Extreme and Kickbox Extreme (although her form is not peerfect, but it's also not a traditional kickbox workout...more kickbox meets hi/lo).

I also love Turbo Jam. The Maximum Intensity series is the best. I really get a good cardio workout from it. Chalene has a way of getting me to put so much into that my HR is at the higher end and it's so much fun and lifts my spirits.

For Abs/Core, I'd definitely like to recommend Tracey Staehle's Core workout. It is 40 minutes or so long....but I usually do 10-15 minute segments of it added on my workouts. It is chaptered well so you could easily do this. It is the one of the only workouts that gets my abs sore after the X!! (Tracey's strength workout from the first series was more functional fitness based and the first kickboxing workout isn't very intense....but it was fun).

If you like Tony, I might suggest that you take a look at the Power Half Hour series and P90 Masters series for future purchases. P90 Masters was done to serve as a stepping stone from the original P90 program to P90X. The workouts are pretty good and they are shorter for time crunched days. They do have a lot of stretching in the warm up and cooldown (one reason I like them -as I'm not getting any younger) and if I feel I need a bit longer workout...I just repeat a couple sections. Pour Half Hour uses the supersetting method and are all half hour workouts with a very minimal w/u and c/d. There is also a Stretch tape with this series that can be used for an additional stretch at the end of any of your half hour workouts which has a 10 min stretch and 20 minute stretch (or you can do them together for a half hour of stretching). I've used them by doing two of them back to back for an hour session and they're pretty tough.

I like Mindy for some things (Gliding some cardio). Her strength based workouts (that I've trieed) have been more functional fitness geared. All About Legs, All About Abs and All About Arms (the latter is new) is a good series that I use a lot. I also like her Kickbutt Bootcamp for a good cardio workout.

One instructor that you don't mention is Kelly Coffey. She has a good Step Boxing workout out that's fairly intense. I really like her. I like her strength workouts also....but again, she borders slightly on functional fitness/weights.

I also like the TLT (Tracie Long Training) series....but it is definitely a functional fitness workout and if you're looking for traditional strength work and purchase it, I'm not sure you'll be happy with your purchase. It is, however, excellent for functional fitness weeks. I tend to use mine every so often when I want to do a strictly functional fitness week or every once in a while, I 'll just throw one in my week to change things up for my body.

Let us know what you decide to try and if you like it.

Out of all the those instructors, which of them cardio wise do you find the most challenging that is worth the purchase? I also have hit a small plateau and need to change my routine a bit.

Thanks! BTW -everyone's so helpful with their input as I have learned a great deal on these forums!

Out of all the those instructors, which of them cardio wise do you find the most challenging that is worth the purchase? I also have hit a small plateau and need to change my routine a bit.

Thanks! BTW -everyone's so helpful with their input as I have learned a great deal on these forums!

Thanks, I'm thinking I will try Amy Bento, I've heard good things about her which is tougher the kickbox or the hi/lo.

I actually have met Mindy before. I attended BostonMania last year and she was there!

I'd have to say that right now Amy Bento is my second favorite instructor. I have and love the 5 workouts I have which are Kickbox Extreme, Hi/Lo Extreme, Cardip Pump Step, Cardio Pump Hi/Lo, and Advanced Step Challenge (love it, love it, love it). She continues to improve in production quality, length of workouts and I find her workouts fresh and innovative as well as very challenging. The last three workouts mentioned are all under one hour but do some serious butt kicking. I especially love Amy's style of step. I can't wait for Advanced Step Challenge 2, which she plans to film in her next series...woo hoo!

I love Tracey Staehle's High Intensity Step Mix and I like her Core Strength and Conditioning. I sometimes use the sculpting portion of High Intensity Kickbox Challenge. I was THRILLED when I first discovered her and was hoping she would be like Cathe to me, in that I preorder whatever she puts out. I was hoping she would remain true to her somewhat complex stepping style but the step from her newest batch is a product of trying to please everyone so I'm unsure of my future with her regarding step. I may preorder her Sweatfest Kickbox and Sweatfest Sculpting, but I'm not sold on the sculpting yet.

I enjoy the TLT's and Jari Love's workouts (not the original Get Ripped) but the others I use and enjoy quite a bit.

I love Bosu Blast and All Body Cardio and I have preordered All Body Attack from the next batch of CIA worouts.

Well, I answered your question as well as giving you a lot more info. than you probably wanted!
Angela:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.