Who is doing NROL4W?

JAFitMama

Cathlete
And what do you think so far?

I am lifting MUCH heavier than I thought.

Are you doing the workouts at home or a gym? I am home because are set up at home for everything except pull ups/ chin ups. We (well me anyway) hope to get a bar by the time i get to stage 6 or is it 7?

How about a check in?

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

http://img109.mytextgraphics.com/myrainbowtext/2008/01/24/c07d67f3a8d2bfed065f377ce1494b6c.gif

i'm doing it, judy (but you already knew that!). i have my third workout this afternoon. i am also lifting pretty heavy (much easier to do with a squat rack!). i am liking the workouts and tess' spreadsheet is the BOMB!

Question

I borrowed the book from the library, but didn't start it because I felt like the workouts didn't seem thorough enough. Maybe I read the routine wrong. In the first stage, do you only do 2 sets of push-ups twice a week to work chest? If so, how can that be enough?

TIA,

Erica

Question

I borrowed the book from the library, but didn't start it because I felt like the workouts didn't seem thorough enough. Maybe I read the routine wrong. In the first stage, do you only do 2 sets of push-ups twice a week to work chest? If so, how can that be enough?

TIA,

Erica

I am an was supposed to do my 3rd workout today also. Don't think I'll be getting it in 'cuz I won't be home that long today.

I am pushing it as far as I can with the weights and am doing OK so far but don't have a squat rack so am limited on the squats. Was thinking of getting a weighted vest and now may be a good time so I'll have it when STS is completed.

Am also doing mine completely at home as I don't have a gym membership - spend all my $$$ on Cathe and exercise equipment.}(

I have a door pull up bar and was thinking of subbing that for the lat pull down. Used my bands the other day and with all three it wasn't too bad. May try bentover row this next time to gauge the difference. Then possibly try pull ups next week.

ETA - check in sounds good to me but I don't always get to the board every day.

i think he said if you don't have the pulley system to do it you can do pulldowns with the barbell. at least that's what i've been doing. i'm actually going downstairs now to do workout number 3. i do have a squat rack and am amazed at how much weight i can do with one. i just got back from the store where i bought another set of 25# plates for my olympic bar.

off to do my w/o!

I bought this book and read it. I am confused. So much of the info is contradictory to what we do in Cathe's workouts. The general feeling I get is that NROL4W is not necessarily for people whose main goal is to lose weight. What do you all think? Maybe I need to read it again. It was a lot of information.

Lorie- I have never used my 25# plates until this week. But I was amazed for deadlifts that I could do 70#. I will up my weights on the next WO again.

Martwad- Take a closer look at the book. It really doesn't conflict with Cathe as much as it is a different approach. Each exercise is chosen carefully for its ability to work multiple muscle groups at once. So while you may not do a triceps specific exercise (like a kickback for example) your tricpes will get worked. In fact every area gets worked in every workout.

Jacque- on page 201 there are alternatives for the lat pull down using a BB or DB's

We do have a pully system at home. I am really enjoying using it for a change. We have had it for 9 years and I really never used it on a regular basis before this program. It has a squat attachment so it can function as a modified squat rack also.

Michelle- Thanks for sharing. How long do the workouts take in stage two? Are you following the recommended calorie plan too?

Erica- The first few workouts are more of an acclimation/ orientation phase. They get longer and more challenging down the line.

My impression for this to work is that the recommended calorie in take should be followed. I am doing it except for a weekly cheat day. Last night DH and I went out for two light beers and dinner. For one cheat day I am not gonna stress. Sparkpeople.com is a website I am using to track my food intake.

So should we start a checkin?

Thank you for responding everyone.

[font color=lime green][font size +3]Judy "Likes2bfit"

***Eat Food. Not too Much. Mostly plants. Michael Pollan[/font]

http://img109.mytextgraphics.com/myrainbowtext/2008/01/24/c07d67f3a8d2bfed065f377ce1494b6c.gif

judy-i think a check in is a good idea. i was also surprised that i could squat 70 for 2 sets of 15. i think having a squat rack helps. tomorrow is w/o 4. unfortunately, as far as my eating, it has been crap, so obviously, i am not following the eating plan. i had read the whole book a while ago and am going to have to review it again.

Judy,

The calorie plan has been the hardest part for me. The book has me at 1900 on workout days and 1700 on non workout days. So after 4 weeks I revaluated the calories, because I had gained a few pounds and my pants were a little tighter. So I cut tehm by 300 each.
I think I need to go back up though, my energy level has been really low for the past week.

Maybe by the end of the program I will figure out my correct calories...lol!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.