Which workouts have the most seated or lying upper body...

Golfingirl

Cathlete
Hi, I'm hoping there are a few of you out there who know Cathe's workouts *really* well and can save me some time. I am having a flareup of foot pain (mostly due to bunions) and have finally admitted to myself that I need to follow my podiatrists' recommendations and give my foot as much rest as possible for a while -- really get completely off the foot and let the inflammation go down. I can do swimming and biking for cardio, and just do floor leg segments and skip standing legs. Abs are no problem of course. But, unfortunately I find that even just picking up extra weight for standing upper body work can aggravate my pain (especially when Cathe has us doing that 10 degree tilt forward). I want to create one or more challenging upper body strength workouts that are all exercises where I'm seated or prone, so I can not worry about my foot and just concentrate on weight training. Any ideas? I have a 5-disc dvd player so I could mix exercises from different workouts (I can't program across discs, but I could still flip pretty quickly from one to another). If anyone can suggest workouts that contain good seated/lying exercises for each upper body muscle group, that would save me a lot of time! For instance, offhand I can't think of any back exercises that aren't standing, but maybe some of you can. Thanks in advance. :)

What about doing PUB? Seems like we're always on the bench for that one. For bicep curls you can sit on your high step, for triceps you can kneel over the high step (resting your chest on the top of it), and for back you can sit on the step and lean over. I don't remember what other exercises in PUB you stand up for. Oh, shoulders, you can sit on the high step too for those. I expect you'll lose a small percentage of range of motion, but following doctor's orders is necessary for you!
I know that's how they do those same exercises in Firm videos. I doubt it's the same calorie burn, but you won't end up doing the same burn without one foot anyway!
Also, on one of the Firm workouts you sit and lean over, then hold the bar out in front of you (at 45 degree angle down) and row that way. They use the 8 lb bar but you can definitely do that one heavier.
I don't know if I'm missing anything...

RE: Which workouts have the most seated or lying upper ...

Thanks Amy, that's a great suggestion! I haven't done PUB in a long time and had forgotten which exercises it included. I have plenty of FIRM videos too so I know what you mean about their versions of the exercises. I will give it a try!

You might also want to look at the upper body work in the Push Pull and Super Sets workouts as many of these are done sitting on the ball, lying on the ball, using your own bodyweight as resistance, or on the floor (or with these options shown). Several of them are endurance in nature as well (I'm especially thinking of PP) so that might help to keep the weights light.
Good luck,
Mattea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.