Which Workout Next

ruthie33

Cathlete
As most of you know, I'm new to Cathe fitness and taking baby steps.
I started July 1st with Basic Step, moved onto Low Impact Step + Total Body Sculpting - both of these workouts I can do easily now. Next one I moved onto was Low Max - last night was the 1st time I got through the entire workout start to finish (I only had 1 screw up on the step and had to pause once for a little extra "breather" time) It was much easier for me to do just the step only premix on this DVD a few times to get the steps down pat before doing the entire workout. The blasts are intense in this workout!! I'll have to have a few more complete LM workouts under my belt before I'm ready to move on to learning a new DVD.
My question is, what DVD should I try next, to continue in my gradual upgrade? I currently have the following, all still in the wrapper (I got excited and bought a bunch last month). I know I will try them all eventually but I like doing the gradual progression thing so I don't feel lost. I know the Body Blast DVD is more advanced as is Butts & Guts so they may be the last couple I try. Stretching I know I can add in anytime.

Low Impact Circuit
Kick Max
Cardio Fusion
Butts & Guts
Body Blast - Step, Jump & Pump + Step Blast
Total Body Stretching

I also have Cardio + Weights which is on the DVD with Basic Step. I currently have lent it to a friend of mine to learn Basic Step. I have not tried the Cardio & Weights yet but can't wait to get it back from her so I can. I plan on purchasing a barbell with weights shortly - right now I just have a selection of dumbbells (3 - 10lbs)

As for time, I can commit to 3 solid workouts a week, plus maybe 1 additional. Someone had suggested to me earlier that I make those 3 workouts different (one step, one circuit, one non step). I like to workout at least 1 hour at a time. I'm hoping to increase that to 4-5 in the fall but again, baby steps....

I think maybe Low Impact Circuit should be the next choice. It seems to take me 2-3 weeks to feel comfortable enough with a new DVD to do it start to finish. Then I will move onto Kick Max. That way, in my rotation, I can do Low Max (step), Kick Max (cardio), Total Impact Circuit (circuit) and add in a treadmill or eliptical workout for my 4th session, followed by Stretching DVD. Once I complete a month of this, I can introduce Butts & Guts and Body Blast into the rotation.

Do you think this sounds ok or am I totally off track? My main goal is to lose weight and eventually add in more weight training. I'm currently 155lbs and would like to be 135lbs. I'm 5'4" and 36 years old.

My BF is heading to the states the end of August and I'm sending him with my DVD wish list should he happen to find any while he is out shopping. He's going to Maryland so anyone who knows any places in Maryland where he could find Cathe DVD's, please let me know. I also know he'll probably head down to Atlantic City, NJ for a night or two. I know I have more then enough available to me to get a good start on my new lifestyle but I always want more!!! :eek:

Anyway, just looking for some input from anyone who has already done these workouts that can offer some advise. I know any exercise I do is "good" exercise but I eventually want to work myself up to being able to do STS. I know I'm a long way off right now but I always like to aim big!!!

I agree that you should vary things a bit more with your w/o. A lot of people do just fine with just step, but others get overuse injuries. I'd only do one step per week. Are you also doing the weight/toning portions of the dvds? I think that you will have more success if you add some more weights now, rather than waiting until you've lost more weight.

I think a rotation of Low Impact Circuit, Butts n Guts, Kick Max, and then something with a little more upper body on the same day as Total body Stretching will be sure to hit all of your parts. Mix it up a bit by doing some of the premixes, too.

As soon as my knee gets better, I'm hoping to do 4DS, which I haven't yet tried, but the reviews are great, and it sounds like something which might be perfect for what you are looking for, too.

I agree with you that I should mix it up a bit more. The wonderful lady who gave me my first step DVD (Basic Step + Cardio & Weights) also teaches step and warned me about overuse injuries when doing just step as my main workout. Even though I don't workout everyday right now, I'm certainly hoping to build up to that point of a 6 day workout week. I guess cause maybe I'm one of those people who doesn't like to do something unless I can do it well, it's made me anal about conquering these step DVD's!!! Time to "step" back for a moment and really look at it, I guess.
So, even though I'm scared of Butts & Guts, perhaps I'll have a look at the premixes and start doing a segment or two. I used to do Tae-Bo (and could actually do the advanced version) so I'm hoping it won't take too long to catch onto Kick Max. I'm also fortunate enough to have a treadmill & an eliptical at home which I've kind of been ignoring in favour of doing DVD's. Maybe need to work them back in at least once a week too.
As for weights, I'm buying my set of weights with a barbell this weekend. I too, decided that I shouldn't "wait" any longer to incorporate that into my workout. I think it will honestly help me shed that last 20lbs! The only weights I've done with Cathe, is Total Body Sculpting. I will have to get my Cardio & Weights DVD back from my friend as I think that is probably the best one to start with for weight work!!
4DS is the top of my wish list. That is the one I'll be asking my bf to bring me back from his trip!!! That can be his "punishment" for not inviting me on his "boys" trip!!!

If you can manage (and like) the choreo in LM then you would def be able to handle C&W and LIC. It took me a LONG time to get LM choreo down for some reason, and I could do both of these others first. KM doesnt have complicated moves but they are tough and you will get a great burn especially from the leg drills... enjoy =)

Butts & Guts is a great workout. Don't be afraid of it, just close your eyes, pop it into the dvd player and hit play. That dvd lifted my butt and gave me a butt I could be proud of! No lie! It is a great workout. I also love LIC - a lot of fun! I say, vary it - don't just stick to one until you get the routine - mix it up and that way it'll keep-em all fresher and your body guessin' more. And also help to prevent overuse injuries.

I say this because I LOVE step and will do it every day - except my knee has decided that it is no longer happy with this arrangement and has forced me to give step a rest. But it is okay, it is just making me visit some other workouts that I had been neglecting.

Just my $0.02.

Wow, it's awesome to hear everyone's input. It seemed to take me a while to catch onto the moves in LM too but now I can do it start to finish without pausing (except maybe once to catch my breath!) But I'm taking the bull by the horn and trying a new DVD each week now!! Low Impact Circuit is next on the "chopping" block!!!

Hi

Yes, I think Low Impact Circuit is your next step. You can also try Classic Vol.1(3 workouts) or Cathe's older workouts(Cardio hits also 3 workouts) they are not that crazy.:eek: ;) 5 years ago I started with those.

Timea

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.