Where is everyone?

JoanC

Cathlete
I have come back to Cathe after a long time. There were usually multiple posts a day. I didn't post much but loved to read the exercise questions people asked and the answers.

Change of subject

I wondered if anyone else keeps everything. My house is neat but my closets and drawers are full. I never was impressed by the person who said to keep only those things that bring you joy. I like everything I have. But some time ago I read about a system where you down size possessions as if you were dying. I plan to live at least 30 more years. I'm 72. but I don't need to keep everything. My son says he will just get a dumpster and my grandson says he would make a big pile and set it on fire.

So I started to empty out every closet and drawer, I have filled 5 contractor bags so far. That's just what I am throwing away. I also have the family room filled with items for a yard sale. My mother died 6 years ago but I am just now cleaning out her closet and dresser drawers. Under my bed I found glasses I have wanted to use for my Christmas parties for at least 10 years. I also found a M&M time capsule from 2000 unopened and still filled with M&M's. You really shouldn't put things in storage boxes. You can't see what's in them.

If I don't or won't use something again it is going out of my house. I had one drawer filled with panty hose. I guarantee I will not wear them again. Does anyone else keep all their clothes in all the sizes just in case they get back to that smaller size? Since I am starting on week 5 of STS2 I will be keeping the 2 smaller sizes. The diet and exercise seem to be working but I don't think I will ever get to the size I was in my 20's.

Hi Joan,

I can relate to your post because DH and I have also been downsizing our belongings. We’ve donated literally thousands of dollar’s worth of exercise equipment, furniture, electronics - all in
perfect condition - to our local recycling center. It’s fun to return with the next load and see that everything from the previous load has been taken.

I was raised with a “keep it just in case mentality” but I’ve shifted gears to a “Do I use it? Could someone else enjoy it or EBay it and use the money?” It changes the whole vibe.

Clothing? I just, finally committed to being retired, though I wasn’t currently working having taken a prolonged vacation to see how retirement would feel. I have a ton of work clothing I need to go through and donate. That’s next. Some I’ll keep but I don’t need it all.

Congratulations on your STS 2.0 journey! You’re killing it! I finished my hybrid STS 2.0 rotation last week and enjoyed it. I’ll definitely return to the set and possibly one of the guide rotations that uses another set with it.

When I clear stuff out it's usually because I am frustrated with having no room in my house. I have a clothing bin across the road from me so getting rid of old clothing isn't a problem. Although I do keep some clothing in different sizes, just in case. It can be quite daunting getting started on a clear out though, so I tend to clear out in stages, doing a room or cupboard at a time. It does feel liberating to get rid of stuff and have a bit of room in my house again. In the last year I've done my bathroom cupboards, and a couple of kitchen cupboards. I had a bit of a clear out of exercise equipment last year, but these were mostly items that I had bought a replacement for.

My husband took down all the boxes we stored in the eves of the garage. He grabbed one box and a coonskin cap fell out and he thought it was an animal. The kids (now 45 and 48) must have gotten it at Daniel Boone's house. One huge box was filled with empty boxes. The worst was finding fireworks in one of the boxes of toys.

Since I plan to have one final forever yard sale I am cleaning it all out at once. More than half of the items will be priced free. I just don't want to throw things that are usable away.
Most of my closets and dresser drawers will be empty or half empty.

Lannette I wish I wasn't too lazy for ebay. I have several items that would be worth more if sold online instead of a yard sale.

This a lot of work for me but not really that hard but time consuming. But I realize how much harder it would be for my family to clean out the house when we are gone . I am making sure they all come and take anything anyone wants.

My husband would probably wish I worked on one room at a time, but what fun is that.

I can't believe that when I cleaned out my linen closet I had at least 20 no longer used sheet sets. I don't think those kids of mine really will ever use the sesame street sheets again. Fortunately , my niece has 6 kids and will be getting them. I changed sheet colors every time I painted.

Joan, I’m also too lazy for eBay. I was referring to anyone who might take an item we leave in the recycling center and eBay it.

I hope to begin going through my old work wardrobe today.

When I was 14 my father died and I decided to sell my bike to get some money. They paid me $15 in Kennedy half dollars. Other than buying my mother a Christmas present I didn't spend the rest of that money. Guess what I found in cleaning out my office closet ? Yes those half dollars. It was in an old metal box with a note from 1978 from the army reserves for my husband, closed savings account books and other old "important papers". Fortunately I also found an ink drawing a young man drew for me in Cuba and now I will frame it.

When I was 14 my father died and I decided to sell my bike to get some money. They paid me $15 in Kennedy half dollars. Other than buying my mother a Christmas present I didn't spend the rest of that money. Guess what I found in cleaning out my office closet ? Yes those half dollars. It was in an old metal box with a note from 1978 from the army reserves for my husband, closed savings account books and other old "important papers". Fortunately I also found an ink drawing a young man drew for me in Cuba and now I will frame it.
Cool!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.