When it rains, it pours!

kathryn

Cathlete
Í've been out of town for a couple of days, to give a workshop in Colorado. The workshop didn't go as well as I would have liked, because 1/3 of the attendees kept coming in late (and it started at 1:45) and this, along with their being unprepared to take any notes, not bringing a poem with them as every single description of the workshop clearly stated, someone suggesting that there should be more work on actual analisis of poems--which is clearly NOT what I intended to do and which was clear in the description of the workshop, and some of them trying to sit waaaay in the back, at tables that I had purposely separated from the others, and various and sundry other little annoying things, made me feel like, as doctors make the worst patients, teachers can make the worst 'students' (I wasn't alone...I talked to other workshop presenters at the "VIP dinner" and they had many of the same complaints). I've never had this much problem with audiences at other presentations (though I know I shouldn't focus on 'bad,' but on the majority of participants who did participate, and the good evaluations (even from those who had comments about wanting more X or Y or whatever). On the positive side, along with the good attendees (which really were in the majority), I met several colleagues, got treated to VIP treatment (including a complimentary robe to use while at the hotel, and a VIP dinner where I ended up sitting between two vegetarians!)

When I got home yesterday, I got back to a sick cat: Mandy, whose chronic renal problems took a very quick turn for the worse. And a month and a day after Scooter died, after seeing the vet this morning, and getting back her test results, I made the decision to have her euthanized (a much harder parting than with Scooter, because I have the guilt of not taking her in earlier, when I knew something wasn't quite right,and of not caring about her as much as Scooter...)

I was hoping that seeing some half-century birthday greetings here or at VF might cheer me up. And they would have, if more than one person had remembered/noticed. Just makes me realize that the illusion of friendships here is just that.

I probably shouldn't even be writing this, and will no doubt regret it later, because I hate when people feel sorry for themselves and pi$$ and moan about how bad they have it, and I know that there are some here who might even find some pleasure in seeing me feel bad--the ones who like to try to get some dig in against me whenever they see an opportunity to (but again, that's not the majority...but I guess I'm in 'glass completely empty' mood for now.)

What more can I say...probably rambled on too much already.

Kathryn- I don't "know" you but you are pretty helpful with info on these boards and I can tell you're having a bad day, week, whatever-you are allowed that-HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!! (did I read that right) and go treat yourself somehow--deb

(((((((((((Kathryn))))))))))) WOW, I don't know where to begin. I am so sorry for you loss. That's tough esp so soon after Scooter. You know you can not blame yourself. We all have perfect hind site and that makes it easy to look back and say what if,...

I had no idea it was your 50th birthday

http://bestsmileys.com/birthday1/5.gif

On a side note. I always enjoy reading your posts. You are always so informative on a number of different topics.

Catherine

http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/1.gif

Kathryn:

I just had to respond to you, as I can feel your pain coming through your post. I'd also like to extend my condolences on the loss of your cats. Try not to blame yourself.

Happy 50th Birthday, as well. I'm not the most frequent poster here, and I'm not sure how well you all know each other and if you know each other's birthdays and such, but I would like to say that I have appreciated your intelligent and thoughtful responses to my own and well as others' questions. You always have something worthwhile to say, and I value your opinions.

I'm sorry you're feeling down, and my hope for you is that it is short-lived and that wonderful things will be coming your way in the near future.

Hugs--
lynda

Kathryn,

I'm also one who enjoys your informative and helpful posts...since I'm more of a lurker than a poster, we haven't interacted much. But I always appreciate your perspective and knowledge, and I hope that sharing your stories here will help you find some support. I'm so sorry about your dear Mandy (I'm nursing two very geriatric cats right now, and fear I will face the same issues soon). Sorry, too, about the disappointing workshop, when I'm sure you poured a lot of yourself into preparing for it. And I'm sending best birthday wishes -- I have no doubt that more will be rolling in!

Take care, and I hope you're feeling better soon!
Allison

Kathryn-

I am so very sorry for the loss of your dear cat and the string of unfortunate events.

Happy Birthday!
Judy "Likes2bfit"

If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail.

Kathryn, I am so very sorry about Mandy! I know the hurt of losing a beloved pet. Don't feel gulity...she treasured those last days with you I am sure. I also feel bad that I didn't know it was your 50th. which is a very special event! I used to make it my duty here to TRY to keep track of everyone's birthdays but I have gotten so busy that it is all I can do to find time to read here anymore, let alone post. Soooo, know this is sincere when I say...

http://bestsmileys.com/birthday2/4.gif KATHRYN!!!!!!

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Kathryn,

I'm so so sorry for yet another loss of a pet. How sad you must be feeling.

Half century birthday? Aw, Happy Birthday to ya. Try and find a great gift or a special place for dinner and celebrate it, by all means, you deserve it.

I love your comments, expertise ideas and knowledge you give to this forum. You seem to me to be a very strong person, with a thick skin (would love to have a thick skin sometime). Obviously not today!. You are sensitive and need attention right now because you are feeling so blue.

Your personality is so needed here, and I love reading your posts and also reading the come backs from your posts. You make people think about things, and I think that is great. You give them another side of the story/coin to look at.

What's wrong with a little pi$$ party every now and then. It's allowed, especially when we aren't feeling good about ourselves. Besides, it makes you feel better in the long run. Have a good cry, beat up a pillow, workout, get that energy out.

You are a good person, and I'm 100% with you. You just tell it like you see it. You didn't know you had so many friends did you?

Take care, this sadness will pass,

Janie

The idea is to die young as late as possible.

http://www.picturetrail.com/janiejoey

Hi Kathryn - I also don't post here much but have been around for a long time. Do something special for yourself as your 50th is a significant milestone in your life. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I'm so sorry about about your cat. I can relate. I had a beloved lab a few years back who only lived three years because of renal disease. I was devastated. But soon after, I rescued my "montana" who has been with me for 10 years.

From reading your posts, I know you rescue all your animals. Perhaps going to a shelter (as soon as you feel ready) will boost your spirits and you can once again fill that void that only an animal can.

Take good care

Mar

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=8019309&uid=3879914&members=1

Happy 50th Birthday Kathryn! So sorry about your 2 cats.:( Hope your day will turn out better. Hey you are a half century old. You need to celebrate girl!

Oh Kathryn, I am soooooo sorry about Mandy!!!! I know it is hard to make the decision to euthanize! But you did the right thing for Mandy and please don't feel guilty (I know from experience it is easier said than done), you gave her a wonderful live and loved her, and she knew it and loved you right back!!

I remember your post about Scooter and I think it was Mandy who licked his head while he passed on. I am sure both of them are at the Rainbow Bridge now, playing and cuddling!

I don't know you very well, but I always read your posts, they are very informative and to the point. There are a lot of people on this forum who care very much about you!!!!

I didn't know it was your birthday and I am sorry we missed it! So I wanted to wish you a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KATHRYN!!!!!

I know this is a very difficult time and you probably don't feel much like celebrating anyway, but please take care of yourself and let us know if you want to talk or need anything!

Take care,

Carola

Happy 50th Birthday!!! (insert glorious, colorful graphic) :)

I'm still new to these forums and haven't really gotten to know anyone here. I do remember and enjoy reading your posts though. If we both make it to Cathe's Roadtrip, I hope to meet you and give you a huge friendly hug!

{{{{{{{{{{Kathryn}}}}}}}}}}

I think I started your birthday thread last year and I'm so sorry I forgot to do it this year, especially in view of how you're feeling. Don't feel too bad, though, because my own sister turned 50 yesterday and I totally forgot about it. :eek:

I'm wishing you a belated Happy 50th Birthday and I hope with all my heart that there is some way to salvage something of the day.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry about your kitty. I understand why you would feel guilty but please be kind to yourself. I can think of no one who is better to their pets than you. It would be nice if we could have the wisdom of hindsight right up front but we can't, so we muddle through the best way we know how. And kitties really don't complain much so it can be hard to know how sick they are. I have no doubt that Mandy had a great life with you.

There may be people on the forums who don't like you, but there are many more who do!!! You and I don't see eye to eye on a few things, to be sure, but you have my utmost respect and I hope you know that.:)

Dear Kathryn,

I am sorry you have been having such a hard time lately. Having your hard work go unappreciated, your pet (who are really family members) die, and no one recognizing your birthday! That's really a triple whammy. You have both my sincere condolences and wishes for a happy birthday.

Happy Birthday Kathryn. I realy appreciate your responses to questions and your thoughts on workouts. Sorry about yet another loss. I really hope you have a great birthday. I am sorry that I did not know it was your birthday until now.

Happy 50th Birthday Kathryn! I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved cats. I too appreciate your posts very much as you're so knowledgeable. I hope your day gets better.

Marcy

Hey Kathryn -

Happy, happy birthday!!!!

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses. I know it's hard to console someone on the loss of their "beloved" pets but I hope you find peace soon.

I love reading your posts on exercise and nutrition as it's obvious it comes from someone so well-read.

Again, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.