when a rest week is not enough

Melclear

Cathlete
Hi everyone -

I took a rest week after several hard weight-training rotations in a row. Yesterday was my first day back and it was the first time after a rest week that I wasn't totally energized and excited to work out. Following a new rotation, I did the double-upper body premix for BM2. Today, I am really sore and kept putting off doing the next workout in the rotation, but finally dragged myself through Leaner Legs. But again, I felt so tired during the workout that it was much harder than normal.

So clearly my body is telling me something. But I don't want to keep taking rest days and lose the results I have been working for. I already feel a bit flabbier after my 1 week.

Have any of you experienced this, when you weren't otherwise sick? And what should I do now? Should I actually rest until I feel totally energized? Or should I just stick to lighter, shorter workouts? What is going on? Any help/ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.

You took a week off then did BMX 2 upper body twice?!?!?!?!?!

Once would probably have been enough to ease yourself back into working out again. No, I don't think you need further days off, but perhaps you could be kinder to your body as you ease back into it again, the operative word being "ease" rather than blast back into it?

Try the more gentle approach for a week, and then if you still feel incredibly tired, then take more time off. Expect to feel sore, even after a week off. But tiredness is another story.

What time of the month is it for you? Could hormones be getting in the way?

Clare

Thanks for your response. It's likely not hormones, since my birth control keeps me on a steady diet of hormones. I thought it might be stress since this was the first week of school (I'm a professor) and there was a lot going on. But I'm sleeping just fine and enough, and that's usually the first thing to go when I feel stressed.

Maybe you are right and I am simply pushing my limits too far for too long (I've been on some really tough rotations for a few months). I think tomorrow I might just try a light 30-minute jog/run on the treadmill and see how that goes.

Make sure you are eating enough, too. Nutrition and sleep make a big difference in how you feel when you work out. If you are not meeting your needs in either of those two areas, you are bound to suffer when you workout.

I hope you feel better soon. I hate feeling tired too.

I experimented with this idea, based on a previous thread posted here a few weeks ago, wherein some exercisers felt better after a week of complete rest.

I had been working out steadily 6 times per week, sometimes 7, since March of this year. Sometimes the 7th day was just core and/or floor legwork. I was new to Cathe, coming from Firming. I'd been using heavier weights than ever before, and I'd been jogging 4 miles at a time, about 3 or 4 times per week. I also included step now and then for cardio. I noticed I was becoming very cranky, irritable, angry, and I felt overwhelmed with the least little things that crossed my path.

I worked out for the last time on Tuesday August 21, after which I took 8 days off. I started up again on August 30 with Cardio & Weights because I'd considered it one of the "easier" workouts. Well it had me huffing and puffing this time and I did not feel good working out, despite my desire to begin again.

The next day, which was yesterday, I decided to go back and try a Firm workout until I felt stronger. I did Maximum Body Shaping, using heavy weights, and I tacked on the leg floorwork from Sculpted Buns Hips & Thighs. I felt much better after doing this workout.

But then today I did the stability ball ab workout from Butts & Guts, followed by a 40 minute jog. I thought the jog was going to do me in. Halfway through it, I had to walk for 90 seconds to catch my breath before starting back. The air was cool, I had eaten and slept enough, but I feel as if I never took the rest.

I don't know what's going on, but for myself I do not recommend this experiment of taking a week off ever again. Before this, although I felt worn out from the dvd's, I was running like the wind. Now my running is not good. The next time I want to try a rest and/or recovery period, I will take a two-day rest, then do only four workouts the following week: two cardio and two sculpt.

Right now I hurt so much that I popped an ibuprofen, and I don't know what to do for tomorrow.

>the operative word being "ease"
>rather than blast back into it?
>
>Try the more gentle approach for a week, and then if you still
>feel incredibly tired, then take more time off.

Melclear,
I second Maddie's suggestion that easing back into things ~ especially during hectic back-to-school time ~ is probably best.

Shelley,
Hmm, I don't think one week of full rest should set you back like that. Is it possible you've been overtraining?

Here are a list of symptoms (from the ACE website):

[font face="bookman old style" size=+1]Q: What is overtraining? Are there any easy-to-recognize signs or symptoms of overtraining?[/font]

[font face="bookman old style"]A: Overtraining is a term that is used to express a situation when an imbalance occurs between training and recovery. The symptoms of overtraining can vary from one individual to another.

Overtraining, however, frequently involves one or more of the following common signs or symptoms:
[ul type="square"]
[li]Impaired physical performance

[li]Reduced enthusiasm and desire for training

[li]Increased resting heart rate (i.e., your heart rate taken first thing in the morning before getting out of bed)

[li]Increased resting blood pressure

[li]Chronic muscle or joint soreness

[li]Increased incidence of musculoskeletal injuries

[li]Increased incidence of colds and infections

[li]Impaired recovery from exercise (e.g., heart rate remains elevated well after the completion of a bout of exercise)

[li]Increased perceived exertion during your normal workouts

[li]Reduced appetite

[li]Dramatic weight loss

[li]Disturbed sleep patterns

[li]Increased depression, irritability, or anxiety
[/ul]

Source: Bryant, Cedric X. 101 Frequently Asked Questions about "Health & Fitness" and "Nutrition & Weight Control". Sagamore Publishing, 1999. [/font]

http://www.acefitness.org/fitfacts/fitnessqa_display.aspx?itemid=254

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

Wow, Shelley, I'm sorry you are feeling so awful. What's so interesting is that I've done rest weeks before and they really did recharge me. So now, after reading your post and Cathy's post, I wonder if you and I are overtraining. Reading her list was pretty striking for me -- did it strike a chord with you too?

I'm definitely going to ease up for a few days, with some easier workouts, maybe shorter, and also more rest days (like you, I usually do 6 days a week).

Let me know what you decide to do today and how you feel!

I thought I'd chime in here...I'm a personal trainer and group exercise instructor...to me, your symptoms really make we wonder if you're eating enough for you level of activity. I know sometimes we think we are doing our bodies good by cutting back on the calories, but sometimes we can cut back to much and don't really realize how few nutrients we are getting. Good luck, I hope you feel re-energized soon!!

Nicole

Thanks to all of you for the tips and the concern. I think that part of my problem is stress from my job and the one I'm cross-training in. Also I haven't been eating as clean as I was for awhile. Another thing that I figured out today pertains to my jogging. Although I don't go more than 4 or 5 miles, my OCD kicks in with regard to running (as well as everything else in my life). It seems to be something I'm obsessed with, and when I cannot do it, whether due to time constraints, schedules, high humidity levels, etc., I get really crazy and nervous. I've been pressuring myself to get up extra early so that the minute the sun comes up I'm out there running before it gets too hot - running in the hot sun makes me nauseous. Luckily the temps have only been in the 70's lately with low humidity, plus the sun comes up later now so I can sleep a little longer.

Having these three days off from work, I thought I'd want to run all three days, but I actually forced myself not to run today, and instead I started Cathe's September rotation with High Step Training. I'll run early tomorrow morning. I'm going to force myself to cut back to twice per week, and try to stick to the rotation, incorporating kickboxing and stepping in place of the jogging on a couple of the cardio days.

I had to lay off running for 4 years due to Achilles' tendon problems and I gained a lot of weight. Once I discovered I was able to run again, I got obsessed with it, and the weight came off. Now I'm almost afraid when I can't run and it's making me crazy. Also, whenever I tried to follow a rotation, I would run in addition to all the scheduled workouts. I'm not going to do that this time.

I learn so much from this website - thank you everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.