What to do if my 1 rep max weight is too challenging?

RobertaJJ

I'm about to start STS and was wondering what to do if my 1 rep max weight is too challenging for me to do the target # of reps?

For instance, if I reach failure at 10 reps instead of a targeted 15, should I lower the weight next time, or keep using that weight?

I guess I'm wondering what is more important:

A) Using the weight the 'calculator' says I should use?

OR...

B) Using a weight that allows me to reach the targeted reps (while still being an intense challenge)?

I think endurance is the point of meso 1 so I had to drop weight on several excercises. Some of the exercises are very high rep and it won't necessarily correlate to your testing, but the endurance gained will really help in 2 and 3! 2 and 3 is where most strength gains happen...you just "survive " meso 1!!! Don't get discouraged because I felt like a real wimp in meso 1 but as the reps shorten it is less about endurance, more about strength...and it is FUN to watch the weights go UP!!!

So are you saying that if my initial weight is too heavy I should quickly switch out to lower weights during the set so I can still get in the recommended # of reps?

I'm just trying to figure out: use the 1 rep max recommended % weight and stop at failure? , or start with the 1 rep max recommended weight and keep dropping the weights as needed to hit the target reps?

So are you saying that if my initial weight is too heavy I should quickly switch out to lower weights during the set so I can still get in the recommended # of reps?

I'm just trying to figure out: use the 1 rep max recommended % weight and stop at failure? , or start with the 1 rep max recommended weight and keep dropping the weights as needed to hit the target reps?

Sounds like you need the tutorial on how to calculate one rep max. Here it is

http://cathe.com/workout/#

You need to log onto workout manager, click on tutorial then on one rep max.
The vid explaining how to take your rep max. Once you have completed your 12 discs for meso 1
the system will workout percentage for each week. I believe it start from 60% to 70% or 75%.
If your rep is done correctly, each load lifted during each set will feel very challenging at the last
two reps. HTH

Last edited:

I'm no expert but I think they want the long sets so yes I would to do required reps. Hopefully others will chime in.
The 1RM testing loses validity with sets of 15 to 21 so it's no big deal to drop the weight during meso 1 as it is basically endurance training.

I'm no expert but I think they want the long sets so yes I would to do required reps. Hopefully others will chime in. The 1RM testing loses validity with sets of 15 to 21 so it's no big deal to drop the weight during meso 1 as it is basically endurance training.

I was thinking that was the case: to start with the recommended weight, and then drop down during the set if it becomes to challenging, but keep lifting.

I'm actually kind of surprised that there isn't a rep 'range' for each exercise, rather than a target number.

I was thinking that was the case: to start with the recommended weight, and then drop down during the set if it becomes to challenging, but keep lifting.

I'm actually kind of surprised that there isn't a rep 'range' for each exercise, rather than a target number.
I don't post very much, but am working on STS for the second time though I have had it since the beginning :oops: I have used XTrain and RWH a lot!
I am in the 4th week of Meso 1 and have found that for several exercises I had to drop the recommended weight, didn't drop too far off the recommended weight though except for those 21's. example if target was 35# for shoulder press, I dropped to 30# BB to start and if that was too hard I made a note and used a lighter weight for the next week @ 65%. Hope that makes sense.By this week I could use the recommended weight for a lot of the exercises. Made some gains in strength even though this Meso is primarily for endurance.
Best of Luck with STS it's GREAT!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.