What move do you just hate?

ivorygorgon

Cathlete
The mambo cha cha thread got me thinking about this. We discussed a few weeks ago moves you would hate people to see you doing. Now I want to know which moves you just can't stand. (This isn't meant to be mean or derrogatory, just some fun complaining!)

I can't stand "triples around the step," these get me everytime. Someone on here called them "tripping around the step," and that just cracked me up, because it fits me to a T!

Tell us all about the moves you love to hate!

LOL! I'm with you on the triples. I get dizzy and think it's too dancy. Plus a bazillion of them don't help w/ the dizziness factor.

I'm not a big fan of plunge lunging. It's just hard for me. I feel like my legs fall off and I want to just lie on the floor. I dread it but love the after effects at the same time.

Pony up. Ick. I just don't have the right coordination for this. i always do something weird in place.

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Ricochets: they are too potentially torquey for me and too fast. But, I have happily found a perfect substitution for them, so whenever Cathe says "ricochets," I go right into my substitute move.

(I also don't like flying angels--though have also found a substitute--for the same reason, and those turning scoops and reverse scoops in RS--for the same reason. Those last ones I haven't found a perfect substitute for, besides keeping the scoops to the front, but I'd like something more interesting).

I agree with the richochet. I would love to see your substitute. Also, there is a move in PowerMax where you jump on the floor then back up on the board. These both end up hurting my knees.

Ditto on the pony-ups! I am not nearly as light on my feet as Cathe, so when I pony up, it's more like stumbling up. I usually substitute a run-up. :p

>I agree with the richochet. I would love to see your
>substitute.

It's not very exotic, but it fits the count perfectly. Let's see if I can describe it!

Right side to the board, go (for the 8-count move)
1 right foot on board (walk or leap...I leap)
2 left foot leap on board
3 tap right foot off step to floor
(first three counts are like an "over the top," but without taking the left foot off the step, and just touching the right foot down and not shifting weight to it)
4 right foot back on step
5 step left foot down to original side
6 step right foot down to original side
(in other words, an "over the top" back to the start)
7 and 8 jack

It's smooth to do (especially if you put in the hops or leaps), not so smooth to read about! (easier shown than described!)

Jump tucks. I just can't do them. I have an incredibly hard time with ab work that involves lowering the legs from a straight up in the air position to a 45 degree angle and keeping it like that. My lower back will not allow me to do this yet. And power scissors (more than one set) just kill me!
carolyn

I'm with you on the pivot turns. I just hate them and I can't do them on carpet either. I really can't even figure out how to do them so I always just step!

melissa

triples around the step
ricochets
power lunges - so bad for my knees
jumping on and off the step
power 7's and 15's - another one that's not so kind to my knees
genie hops - also unkind to my knees
shuffle-pivot - I do a u-turn instead
airborne jacks - gives me tendonitis

Pinky:)

airborne jacks
plie jacks
plyo jacks
tuck jumps
ricochets - not really a hate thing but annoying, I guess..

jump tucks,levitation holds, sequential kicks
kassia

When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be
disappointed to discover they are not it -- Bernard Bailey

There aren't any step moves that I hate. The only thing I have trouble with is those jackknife crunches in the ab section of MM.

I can't think of the technical term but the move where you go from one side of the step to the other and clap in the center. It's not that it is too difficult, I just hate them. When she uses it as a break during Imax2 between Sumos I just jog in place. Vicky

Pivot turns. I can maybe to a couple in a workout, but that's it. I get dizzy very easy. I've been doing side steps or some other move during the double pivots in the new total basic step workout.
Susan C.M.

Levitation holds...without a doubt. I don't hate them. I just CANNOT do them and it makes me crazy. I've tried everything but the butt and the legs are just not coming off the floor at the same time...haha.

Lisa ~

I'm with ya on the LEVITATION HOLDS. I swear my arms are just too darn short. As a matter of fact, I'm going to pick up some yoga blocks on my way home from work just so I can prove to myself that I can (or CAN'T!) do them!

~ Kim

"Welcome the challenge...Embrace it...Don't fear it." -Cathe Friedrich

Hi Kim,

I will send ALL of my positive energy to you while your attempting those holds again! I thought the same thing that my arms are just too short. So I attempted them again using dumbbells, which was a suggestion from the Forum. Guess what...bottom of butt is still firmly planted on the floor. Now I know my arms are too short and butt is too big to lift off floor...haha But it's okay, (ohhh noooo I'm going into my Stuart Smalley routine now...haha).

Good luck...and let us know how you do okay?:)

I'm not sure how to spell it... but sashays (?) I HATE them. Period. Any variation. Flying angels as well. Those make me more dizzy than anything, and I always feel like I'm going to fall...

As far as I remember, most other moves that annoy me are just hard to do right now.

Sara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back