What is your ideal vs. realistic weight?

I'm finally at my ideal weight. I've been underweight most of my life (except when I was pregnant) so it is good that I've finally reached a healthy weight range (112-115 lbs) and my bones aren't showing so I'm satisfied.

Robin

>I am currently 115, but I want to be at 125 because I am
>taller. My body fat is in the 14% range, but I would like it
>to be at 11% and weigh 125. I am still pretty content with the
>way I look so if I never make it to 125, I will still be
>happy.
>
>Charlotte~~

Charlotte, How tall are you? I am currently about 112-113, but realistically should probably be around 120. I am 5'7" I really can't get much higher than where I am. I'm not sure why... maybe all the cardio I do?

I think my bodyfat is around 17%. I have been much lower weight wise, so I'm pretty proud that I've managed to get up to 113!
:)

Wow! Just hearing how much everyone weighs makes me think I need to eat for all of you. So, in honor of all of you, I will eat a hot fudge sunday. I know, I know...I should be declared a saint for this. Just kidding, maybe chocolate chip cookies!

Most of you have goal weights that are equivalent to the amount that I weighed in 5th grade! It makes me sad. I am 5'9" and I usually shoot for a goal weight of 150, well that's the weight that I put on my driver's license. Perhaps I need to rethink my goal weight, but I haven't been there in a long time. I'm about 5 to 7 pounds away from it. Sometimes, don't you guys get sick of this constant battle? I know I do. I think I'll go sulk now.

Keli

JeanneMarie,

Yes, I know. So hard for me to gain the weight and I do little cardio, and you say you do alot? The only time I got close to 130 was when my metabolism slowed way down because I ate so badly. Now my metabolism is extremely fast...I can't catch up to it.
Well now I do feel better hearing that most ideal weights, and some of those who already weigh about 115 like myself are quite happy. Interesting thread.

Charlotte~~

This thread really illustrates the variability in body types - some people can eat what they want and maintain low/average body weights, others have to be strict, or can work out all the time and not lose.

I used to find this fact frustrating, but now I'm using it as a tool of acceptance. I have what I consider to be a confusing body - I am described by most as athletic/muscular, am 5'6" and weigh around 150, but wear a size 8 (when i read articles about people my height and weight, they describe wearing size 12 -something to be said for weight training!). I'd love to be around 125. But, there is just too much heterogeneity for me to sulk or beat myself up too much about the number on the scale. Its been a long tough road to get to this point (and I'm only 28, which means I'll travel it again and again I'm sure). Suffice it to say that there is likely always going to be a discrepancy between my "ideal" and reality, but I guess I'm just not willing to give up Cool Whip, cake, wine, and excellent restaurant food on occasion in order to see a number on the scale that probably won't last.

I'm tall and it takes 20-25 pounds to make a size difference in my clothes, so while I'd like to be 135, I'd be content and comfortable at 150-155.

Shari

my wt right now is 140 but it zig zags to 144 sometimes I am 5 ft4.I feel really satasfied no matter what the scale says(even tho I get excited to see it budge)as long as I feel tight and can fit into my clothes which range from a 5-7.I don't know what my ideal wt is now-I look at my body and if I see muscles dimishing I feel I need to eat more so right now I eat between 2000-2300 calories a day and have maintained the wt lost during last months bootcamp rotation.I worry about losing muscle that I really don't focus on wt lost.Last time I had bf checked it was around 17%.

Ladies, thanks for all of your very interesting feedback! I am just fascinated by how we react to The Number. I'm like Nancy; no matter what my body composition, I am secretly thrilled by it. This is probably why I do NOT own a scale! (Of course, that does mean when I am visiting other people, I am secretly sneaking onto their scales the way other people might nose through the medicine cabinet, lol.)

Cheers,
Marie

I am 5'5" with a large boned frame. My personal goal weight is 130. My Weight Watchers goal weight is 135. I can and have been below my personal of 130, to around 120, but that's the point where I get all the comments about looking sick, looking boney, and I feel like I'm depriving myself of some things I enjoy and working TOO hard at working out.

It was very interesting to read everybody else's responses above! Thanks for sharing!

Gayle

Wow, there are so many varied body types here: small frame, larger, short, tall. It is amazing how we are all made different.

For my height, I should weigh 115-120, at least that is what they keep saying. That is impossible. I would have to starve myself to be that small. I am VERY compact. At my lightest since puberty I weighed 137 but I looked like 105 and wore a 5 in juniors. Wait, I forgot. There was a period in my life when I used to do bad stuff (you can probably guess what that means) I wasn't really eating and weighed 129 and looked sickly. Now I am probably around the lower 140s (haven't weighed myself in months) but people think that I am in the lower 120s. Whenever we go to the fair, I play the guess your weight game and always come home with a prize! :D

Missy

I am 5'7" and weigh in at 138. Very easy to maintain that for me, but when I train hard, I usually drop 5 pounds. However, I would like to get down to 128 and maintain that.........

I wear size 6 in jeans (7 juniors) and 4 in dresses (women), but would like to be a size 4 overall. I should pat myself on the back as I have come down from a size 9/10.......but you guys asked for ideal! LOL!!!

I am 5'0 and 123. I wear a size 4 in most everything these days since putting on more muscle. I think 5 pounds less would be ideal but I'm looking pretty good these days. Better than when I was 108 and 10 years younger actually!!!

The main thing for me is my weight has stopped fluctuating even though I don't eat clean 100% of the time. I'm almost giddy about that!

Shopgirl, if you're a size 6 it means you are not buying Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman or Eileen Fisher. You would be a size 2 or a 0 in those clothes! :p

I think my ideal weight is too low....I'm 4ft 11 in and the last time I looked it up it 100-105! Yikes...I have been between 111 and now 116 for the past 2 years or so, and feel generally comfortable right there. I have noticed that I can not for the life of me get back down below 115....though I must confess I could be eating cleaner, but what the heck, I'm over 40, work out like crazy, and really have no other bad habits, so I think I deserve a little slack. I mean it all comes down to: do I want the # on the scale or the ice cream??? And to be honest most days I take the ice cream!!!! I am proud to say I look for my overall fitness and not so much the # on that evil scale. It has, however, taken me almost 5 years to find any sort of body acceptance, and I still have the difficult moments when I wish for the days of 111 pounds.....probably a lifelong challenge.

It is very interesting to see how the scale doesn't tell the whole story

According to most size charts (gap, ann taylor) I generally wear a size 10, sometimes an 8. My current weight is about 115 and I would like to be about 110. I am 5'2 and I just don't think with my frame I would look good at a lower weight. I am not even sure it would be possible for my frame to wear a size 2 or 4
Interesting to see that weight and clothing size can vary so much from person to person.

>Shopgirl, if you're a size 6 it means you are not buying
>Ellen Tracy, Dana Buchman or Eileen Fisher. You would be a
>size 2 or a 0 in those clothes! :p

Damn! Guess I'll have to go shopping.
:7

Thanks for the tip.

For the first time in many, many years, I am at the weight I want! I am 5 ft 1 and I now weigh 120 lbs. I had given up getting to this weight, but I did it finally. :7 Last February I was sick and got a few pounds below 120 and coworkers commented that I had gotten too thin. I have a poor (anorexic-type) self-image so I didn't believe them, but as soon as I was able to eat I went right back up to 120. So, I suppose 120 is the right weight for me.

FitDoggie

"The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.