What is going on here! Please help!

FirmNurse

Cathlete
AS I have posted before, I just finished a 4 week rotation of the S&H and noticed a real increase in my muscle size and (I thought) strength. Cathe says that you CAN'T (usually) lift as much weight using the slow and heavy technique, right?????

Well, I have done PS upper body twice now and I CANNOT lift as much as I was lifting with this series a month ago??? Did I word that okay?

I was under the impression that I might be a little stronger now, but I have actually had to DECREASE my weights for the PS series. For example, in March I was using 10 pound dumbbells for biceps on the PS series.

I was using 12 pounds for biceps with the S&H.

Today, with the PS biceps workout I could BARELY lift my 10 pounders again!!! I was struggling!

What do you think is going on here? Is this common? I know that we are supposed to increase our weights, and especially after 6 weeks or so of working out intensely and eating good and clean!

It's almost as if the size of the muscle has increased but not the strength?? Anyone else have an opinion?

Jackie:

I think what you are experiencing is normal, it happened to me when I did S&H and then went to a workout that was more endurance based: my endurance sucked big time and I got real upset thinking I had taken a step backwards and I gave up exercising for a while!!! I think the S&H series should carry this warning!!! Don't do what I did: don't let it get to you, don't stop exercising, keep going and I am sure, that after a few attempts, your muscles will acclimate to the demands of higher reps and hopefully with greater strength than before. Botttom line: it's not you!!!

Clare

Not Cathe here, but maybe slow and heavy has improved your form? I know if I use really strict form, I can never lift as heavy...just a thought,

Christine

You might be right about the form. Using S&H REALLY made me remember not to use my back during biceps and also to stabilize the core for all exercises. So, that may be a very good point.

And I am VERY relieved to know that I am not alone in feeling like this! thanks!

That's what periodization is all about! Different types of training achieve different results. Just hop back into endurance training, lower your weight and increase when you're ready. Changing around your training methods develops overall balance, helps body symmetry, (did I spell that right?) and helps prevent overtraining and injury.

Congratulations on your gains with S&H! You'll be able to increase your weight with PS faster than you think!

dlaudy

I am having the same problem with just doing the Maximum Fat Loss, Definition Rotation. I am on my 3rd month of this rotation and although I had been increasing my weights the past two months, I find that this month has been a real struggle and have had to go a little lighter. By the way, I am interested in doing the S&H rotation next and everybody says you gain muscle size, but I'm a little nervous about trying it. I don't have optimum definition in my muscles yet and I think it's probably because I'm eating too much (need to burn more fat), but do you think doing S&H will show those muscles through once and for all? Please advise.
thanks
Nadia

Nadia:
question, where can i find the Maimum Fat Loss, Definition Rotation? does anybody have it? thanks for any help!:)

take care
gloria

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.