What does it mean to "eat clean," and how often to do w...

cherimuse

I keep reading about "eating clean," and Cathe mentions it in her December rotation. Does this mean the same thing as eating whole foods?

Also, I recently started doing Cathe workouts again about three months ago. I've read that she recommends step 3x per week. What does she recommend for weights?

I've always concentrated on cardio and step in the past, doing it almost exclusively to anything else because I didn't feel like I got a real workout unless I worked up a really good sweat. (I also grew bored and struggled to stick with it long term.) But this time I'm alternating between weight-training and step, adding a new Cathe video to my collection about once a month, and noticing some pretty good results. I've only lost 7 pounds, but I'm most impressed with the loss of visible flab and the change in how my clothes fit!

I don't have very many of Cathe's videos yet, so I can't follow her rotation suggestions. Is it enough to alternate between step and weights six days a week, with a day off? I also occasionally do an advanced Pilates workout (and running when the weather is warmer) if I feel like I need a change of pace.

Thanks.
Cheryl

RE: What does it mean to

Here's a good past thread from Ask Cathe where she gives you an answer:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...ic_id=61287&mesg_id=61287&listing_type=search

One last thing to keep in mind about clean eating is that it really is 80% of the equation in maintaining a lean, fit body. Without good nutrition, all the cardio and lifting in the world is not going to make a true difference. That being said, we all have our cheating now and again, so don't think you have to be stellar 24/7. Find what works for you and how your body best responds.

About your other comments, congrats on adding weights and bringing Cathe workouts into play :) I think, as with any workout, you need to periodically change things up to keep your body responding positively. Maybe try a spin class, or jogging, or something else that interests you. Same with the weights. Try different types of rotations and keep things fresh.

Debbie

Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'
Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.
--Family Guy

Thank you! I've already been doing that -- eating whole, natural foods. I just had never head it called "clean eating" before.

I wonder where that term "clean" comes from? Is a processed food "dirty"? Actually, I think that might be a good word for it. :)

Ironically, there has been a lot in the news lately about the danger of eating vegetables (with the e-coli scares) because they are "grown outdoors" and processed with "dirty equipment." (Hello, where does real food come from?) I find it frightening that people are becoming afraid to eat the foods that have the most natural nutrition, or should, if it weren't for our industrial food system. But that's another topic!

Cheryl

>Thank you! I've already been doing that -- eating whole,
>natural foods. I just had never head it called "clean eating"
>before.

I personally don't like the term 'clean eating,' it seems to have such a moral judgement attached to it. I prefer the term "whole foods," which is both more descriptive and less moralistic.

I think the term "clean eating" comes from the bodybuilding world: the way they eat when trying to get cut for a contest. Stripping things down to the bare essentials and eating simple foods as well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.