What do you count as exercise?

irisfield

Hello~

For those of you that have a goal each week/month for a certain number of minutes of exercise do you count stretching towards those minutes? I usually count if part of other exercise but yesterday that is all I did. Just curious.
Thanks,
Debbie

(also posted on VF)

Last edited:
Hi Debbie,

I have different kinds of recording for different goals, two of them are activity and workouts. "Activity" is extra movement above my normal day that burn calories - includes things like chopping wood or shovelling snow. I don't include stretching there unless it is integrated, like a stretch between gardening stints. Fun biking goes here too, as opposed to a cardio-coached session. Under workouts, I include only sessions focused on a specific fitness goal. One of my goals involves flexibility, so I do include stretch-only sessions here, and maintain a count of how often I do them, whether they are dynamic or static, if my range of motion is improving, and so on. My stretch/flexibility/range of motion sessions come after some kind of a physical warmup, and I include those minutes too.

Being a measurement junkie, I've got quite a few other records too, from HRM and GoWearFit and so on, but I think these first two kinds are closest to what you're getting at.

Hope that helps, and Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
Hi,

I think of cardio as a different category from strength and flexibility. For me, I use yoga to cover my strength and flexibility. I don't attempt to do both in the same session. I need a break:eek: I used to do a huge amount of cardio (6 hours/week) but then I got sick and couldn't do any for a while. Now, that I am able to do some cardio I've been aiming for 3 workouts per week and soon I will be upping that to 4. I do my yoga at night. There is nothing wrong with having just a stretching session. That helps prevent injury and moves fluid in and out of the muscle/joints. It can also help you sleep because you aren't hurting from overly tense muscles.

I count everything. I put it all into fitday. The yoga (or any other stretching program) doesn't burn as much calories but its just as important as cardio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.