What Cathe workouts to add to my running?

dmd

Cathlete
Hello Cathe,
I own just about all of your workouts. However, I am not a fan of step workouts and running and kickbox/plyo/bootcamp are my favorite forms of cardio. I must lose 25 lbs and need your advice. I run 3 times week for an hour. What weight workout/workouts would you suggest for FATLOSS and basic overall toning? Please help, I really need Cathe's word on this! Thanks~Deb Dailey

dmd said:
Hello Cathe,
I own just about all of your workouts. However, I am not a fan of step workouts and running and kickbox/plyo/bootcamp are my favorite forms of cardio. I must lose 25 lbs and need your advice. I run 3 times week for an hour. What weight workout/workouts would you suggest for FATLOSS and basic overall toning? Please help, I really need Cathe's word on this! Thanks~Deb Dailey

Well Deb, I'm certainly NOT Cathe but my vote absolutely would be STS! I know I sound like a broken record BUT I never got better results from any program I did then combining running with STS! Take it or leave it! :) Miss you!

Sent from my iPad using CatheForum

Not Cathe, but I am a runner and have been running since I was about 10 (on and off...mostly on). Anyway, I do more Cathe workouts during the week than I run, and for a lot of reasons. First, because of common overuse problems that can occur with running. I want to be able to keep running, and I think variety is key. If you only run, you are only working the same muscles everyday...pounding the pavement can really be hard on your knees and joints. I used to run everyday, body eventually stopped changing and even my pace never really improved (and I like to compete/race). Anyway, my point is, once I starting adding kickboxing, step (I know you don't like that), plyo, and other cardio, my running improved and my body started to change.

I feel like I am getting off track here, but what you might want to do is stick with adding(not sure of you current strength routine) total body workouts, and maybe do ones that have a higher calorie burn. Like Cathe's Boot Camp, High Step Training/Challenge, High Reps, etc ....and actually I really think her new series will help a ton. Most have a cardio effect but use weights as well. You could also swap out a run for Butts and Guts or Lower Body Blast...to really tone up your legs.

Cathe will have better advise, but this is just what I have learned based on my own experiences and individuals that I have trained.

It's sometimes hard to get past the fact that there is a high calorie burn with running, but more means a more calorie burn (50X more than fat).

Good luck!!! I hope this helps a little..

Hello Cathe,

Did u ever get an answer?

Have you looked at the recent Low Impact series? I think that would fit perfectly - Afterburn in particular, Cardio Super Sets, Total Body Trisets, etc. All do exactly what you're looking for, I would say - and without all the impact.

I read some info about weight work for runners. It advised doing low weights with high reps to help build endurance while adding some weight work. Muscle endurance and high reps come to mind.

good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.