What are YOU reading???

The Mists of Avalon. I'm only a few chapters in but am already hooked! It should only take me 9 months to finish. I can read and build up my forearms at the same time. : )

>Wow, I didn't know about Jane Austen on Masterpiece--gotta
>look that up and start recording them.
>

Lainie, the new season for Masterpiece Theater started Sunday, January 13 -- at least that's when it started here. Persuasion was the first in a series of Jane Austen programs, followed by Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park is on next Sunday. I'm sure they'll run repeats so you probably haven't missed anything. I don't remember the exact lineup, but they're planning to show that FABULOUS BBC production of Pride and Prejudice -- the one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle :D :D :D . I have my DVR set to record Masterpiece theater every week.

I am loving the Jane Austen series on PBS. I had 2 of them dvr'd.

I'm reading John Grisham's 'The Innocent Man'.

And all 3 of the 'You' manuals. I usually have to have a fiction and non-fiction going at the same time.
Weird...I know.:+

>>Wow, I didn't know about Jane Austen on Masterpiece--gotta
>>look that up and start recording them.
>>
>
>Lainie, the new season for Masterpiece Theater started Sunday,
>January 13 -- at least that's when it started here. Persuasion
>was the first in a series of Jane Austen programs, followed by
>Northanger Abbey, and Mansfield Park is on next Sunday. I'm
>sure they'll run repeats so you probably haven't missed
>anything. I don't remember the exact lineup, but they're
>planning to show that FABULOUS BBC production of Pride and
>Prejudice -- the one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle :D :D
>:D . I have my DVR set to record Masterpiece theater every
>week.

Thanks for the info, Michele! I LOVE that BBC Pride & Prejudice, but I have it on video already. Colin Firth. Drool.

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans.[/font]

The second book in George Martin's very popular fantasy theories. The first was "A game of thrones" and this is "A Clash of Kings". It's unusual for a fantasy series (IMHO) in that it is very well written, the character and plot development is phenomenal and his attention to detail in the world he created is astounding.

My just-turned 19 year old son gave me the books for Christmas; he loves the series.

And, unfortunately, I'm reading "Network Administrator's Guide to Solaris 9 Exam Cram". Have to take the exam at the end of February. Bah humbug. I'll force myself to read some on the plane ride today, but I'll want my other book instead!

then, a co-worker took it upon himself, noticing I'm depressed, to bring in something called "single, sassy and Satisfied", which was nice, but 1)I'm not a Christian and 2)I'm not 'single' as in available and her book speaks to those who are struggling with being single and unhappy, but I did start it, because there are some things I'm sure I can get out of it and it was a nice gesture on his part. (HIs wife and a lot of her friends love the book).

Fembot, when I recommended Mists of Avalon to a friend a bunch of years back she actually ended up calling in sick to work so she could stay home and read it! Great book!

I'm reading ChiRunning by Danny Dreyer.

Currently I am reading 'The Pillars of the Earth'. I didn't think I would like it, and I can't put it down. Gripping.

I also finished Eat,Pray,Love. I also went back and re-read a classic for children-'A Wrinkle in Time' by Madeline L Engle. So good, I remembered why this was a classic.

Michele,

Yes, I did see it, which prompted me to re-read the book. I forgot how funny this book is. Jane Austen was so great at satire!

Regarding "Persuasion," did you see the film version that came out in the mid-90s? Really a great adaptation- much better than the recent PBS version, although I did enjoy watching that one, too.

Happy reading!

I just have to say, the best book I have read in a really long time?

"A Moveable Feast" by Ernest Hemingway. It is so cool, he talks about the time he spent in Paris, in the cafes with the likes of Ezra Pound and Fitzgerald. One of the most underrated Hemingway books in my opinion, I could not put it down and now I want to read it again!:)

Hi Gayle!

I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. Its a must read. It has everything from love, hate, violence, deception, corruption & more all in one book. You must read this one! Kathy:D

I just have to say it again...WOW! I've added quite a few to my to-read list at www.goodreads.com (love this site for keeping track of my books........those that I have read, am currently reading and WANT to read).

I just got back from my library. I wanted to check out Mary, but they don't have it, and I'm too impatient to wait for the inter-library loan copy! So instead, I checked out Love is Eternal by Irving Stone; it's also a novel about Mary Todd and Abraham Lincoln. And, since I'm not all that educated on history, I also borrowed 2 biography books on Abe from the children's section! LOL

THANKS for all your input!

Gayle

>Andrea.. The Road is a good book, but very different than
>anything I ever read. It was a hard read in spots!
>
>~Chris

Chris,
I agree with you about The Road. I got half way through and decided to stop reading it (which is something I rarely do).

By the way, I also loved Water for Elephants!

Gosh alot of you have the same reading taste as me. I've just finished the Innocent Man - John Grisham. Just before that was Lady Jane Grey - Alison Weir.

Prior to that was an excellent book by Linda Porter - Mary Tudor The First English Queen.

I see there are alot of Tudor history fans on the forums.

Laura
:)

>I read mostly in Spanish, so right now I'm on Eva Luna by
>Isabel Allende.

lala,

I can't read in Spanish but I LOVE Isabel Allende's books, especially Eva Luna. I haven't read in it years though. Maybe I'll have to pull that one out again sometime soon. :)

Carolyn

>>I read mostly in Spanish, so right now I'm on Eva Luna by
>>Isabel Allende.
>
>lala,
>
>I can't read in Spanish but I LOVE Isabel Allende's books,
>especially Eva Luna. I haven't read in it years though. Maybe
>I'll have to pull that one out again sometime soon. :)
>
>Carolyn
>
I'm another one who loves Isabel Allende's books (translated in English). In fact, I really want to go to Chile some time because of Allende and Pablo Neruda (my favorite poet).

[font face="comic sans ms" font color=purple]***Lainie***
My fitness blog: http://fitnessfig.blogspot.com/ http://bestsmileys.com/exercising/7.gif

If you want to give God a good laugh, tell Her your plans.[/font]

I'm reading "Middlesex" by Jeffrey Eugenides. Wow... it's great so far! Anybody read that one? (Really interesting, really different.)

Marcia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.