What about Dallas TX?

Heidisue

Cathlete
We might be moving to the Dallas Texas area and I was wondering what it's like there? I've never been there before so any info is great! :D

It is big, with a lot of traffic, crime and noise. My sister lives in the old part of downtown Dallas, her little 1800 sq foot home cost $450,000. But, there is alot of shopping, eating and the best part, it IS in Texas!(I was born and raised in Houston).

I've been living in the Dallas area for about 8-9 years now. I'm a transplanted New Yorker. I absolutely love it here (I never liked or tolerated the cold very well). There really is so much to do and Southerners are very friendly. :) For me, the increase in sunny days (as compared to living up north) really boost my overall mood and general happiness. I've also found if you don't like the weather just wait 4 hours....it's bound to change.;)

It was one of the best, yet, scariest moves I've ever made, but I don't have any regrets.

Good luck to you and any moving decision you have to make! Please feel free to drop me a line and ask me anything.:)

ETA: I haven't experienced traffic, noise and crime, but I guess that depends on where you live. Dallas is an extremely large area. I feel very safe here....safer then I ever felt in NY.

I live about 40 miles north of Dallas/Fort Worth. Denton-there are two universities. UNT-University of North Texas AND TWU-Texas Womans University. The Jr college NCTC is also close. It is in Corinth. So if you're interested in going to school...:) :(

I live in Plano, about 15 miles from downtown Dallas. I've lived in DFW all my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Dallas has everything, major sports teams, lots of parks and running trails, shopping, restaurants galore, nightlife you name it. Is there crime, yes but there is crime everywhere no matter where you live. And yes it gets hot at times although it's been more like spring all summer this year but all in all it's one of the best places to live especially if you're into a healthy life style, Dallas offers you a bunch of options.

HTH,
Annette

The Dallas area is very diverse. Lots of nice suburbs around it that are wonderful for families. Fort Worth is close and it has a little different feel to it. Hope I don't offend anyone, this is just my opinion, but Fort Worth is more a laid back, country feel to it, where as Dallas has more of a cultural, artsy feel to it. If you're into sports, Dallas/Fort Worth has it all. Football- Dallas Cowboys, Baseball-Texas Rangers, Hockey-Dallas Stars, basketball-Dallas Mavericks, Nascar - Texas Motor Speedway, Horse Racing-Lone Star Park. We also have amusement parks like Six Flags & Hurricane Harbor. I have lived north of Fort Worth for 24 years and have no plans of leaving. I love being close to a major airport (DFW) because it makes traveling so easy. The main thing is do your homework. There are high crime areas. There are bad traffic areas. There are good schools and there are not so good schools. It al depends on where you look.

Jean

Forgot to add the weather. Summers get hot. Usually reach over 100 several days out of the summer. It can be humid. Usually we get moderate rain, but for 3 years we had a drought that ended this year with what seemed to be monsoons. (it's not usually like that)
Winters get down below freezing with a few snow falls and a few ice storms.

Jean

Thanks to all of you so much for your input. It's a little scary trying to figure out what house to buy, what area, what's the best for my little girl when you have no idea about the area. I'm excited though. We'll know more in about 2 weeks if we are moving or not. You all are so nice that if everyone is that way, I think we will fit right in. We do want to stay away from the "scary" crime areas!!! Of course;-) Thank you once again. :7

Opps .....yes there is traffic...lol. Stay away from route 75 during rush hour...I must have had a blond moment when I said I hadn't experienced traffic.

Hi Annette,

I live in Plano also. I relocated here after Hurricane Katrina from the New Orleans area.

Nice to know there is another Cathe fan nearby. I live in the Legacy/Coit area.

One of the reasons we chose Plano is because of the school system. That would be a definite factor in choosing a place to live. I also find that Plano is very safe.

Take care, Sandra

>Hi Annette,
>
>I live in Plano also. I relocated here after Hurricane
>Katrina from the New Orleans area.
>
>Nice to know there is another Cathe fan nearby. I live in the
>Legacy/Coit area.
>
>One of the reasons we chose Plano is because of the school
>system. That would be a definite factor in choosing a place
>to live. I also find that Plano is very safe.
>
>Take care, Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Small world isn't it? I live off Custer and Park, going on two years now. Plano is a great area especially for families. You're right about the schools, you can't beat them. Not to mention everything seems to be growing further out Plano, McKinney and of course Frisco. Glad to know we are neighbors. Perhaps we should meet sometime, you can e-mail anytime at [email protected]

Have a great evening.

Annette

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.