Wen hair care

I thought I'd bee the 100th poster...do I win some Wen? Just kidding!
Anyway, now that I've been using the Pumpkin Ginger for 2 weeks, I tried an experiment. My hair is normally thin, fine and oily. When using the Wen, I noticed that my hair was not was limp, but was still very oily. I tried different amounts of pumps, but nothing seems to work. Anyway, since I couldn't stand the oily feeling, I washed with regular shampoo. Actually the shampoo/cond is supposed to fight frizz. My hair looks horrible today, but feels clean. I look like I have a frizzy mushroom on my head! I think I may try the lavender Wen since it is supposed to be for oily hair. If you are a Wen pro with thin, oily hair, what do you suggest?
-Jen

I'm down to using the pumpkin spice Wen on weekends. I, too, tried differing number of pumps. My hair is usually pretty normal... When I use Wen, my hair is frizzy. On Monday, after I use my normal shampoo, my hair looks great again with no friz! I really, really, wanted this stuff to work for me, but it is not. So disappointed! I've tried rinsing for various lengths of time, & I've tried leaving it on longer - one night I left it on all night. Any other suggestions? I hate to spend the money on trying a different kind, like pomegranate or tea tree oil...

To Jaypea -not a wen pro yet, but I think the cuke aloe is supposed to be for oily hair--
It is what I would try for my dtr who has straight blond hair which is fine, but not thin; and scalp that tends to become oily after a day. : ) But now I am thinking just the lavender may be fine.

I had been tempted to try Wen. Once I saw the thread, and of course Cathe's experience, I purchased. I have long, straight, fine, highlighted hair which has become porous, damaged or something from about the neck down. It becomes nearly matted and extremely difficult to do a wet comb out after a shower until it is dry, or even in shower while slathered w/ conditioner. Some days I wouldn't even have time to work thru it, I would just blow dry the top and comb down as far as I could, then twist it up into a damp knot.

Anyway, I started w/ Fig (slept in it first night), - 3 days of Fig use as prescribed (somewhat less on the pumps), plus Fig pumps as a leave in and Wow what an amazing difference. By 3 days of use, I could comb thru in shower, too with Wen in. And fuzzy frizzy looking ends are gone. Hair feels clean and looks pretty nice, hours after brushing it. Looks full, not plastered to my head.

Today I noticed hair started to feel a little more weighed down and so silky, sorta like a dryer sheet, so i decided to back off on Fig, and used Lavender this morning, and while hair still looks and feels great, it was hard to comb thru, so Lavender is going out of my rotation for now.

I hope this product really does last a long time. Honestly, tho, just being able to comb my hair is priceless!

Does anyone do a full head of Tea Tree oil?

Okay, this is so funny .... I emailed this post to my sister, telling her "You have to try this stuff - even Cathe uses it!" Well, she read the thread, and emailed me back at 4am (pregnancy insomnia) saying, "Cathe uses 26 pumps?!! You try it and let me know how you like it...."

Unfortunately, she replied back to Cathe since I had linked it from here! Sorry Cathe!

I hate that all the WEN buzz has died down. I ordered some for myself because of all the excitement about the product. I am on the fence. I plan to give it an honest shot. I am overdue for color and cut so that is giving me many bad hair days. Tomorrow that will all change. Anybody still find they need styling products for hold and frizz? Girls with curls anyway?

Thanks
Chris

Any of you ladies who ordered the Wen and bought the Hair One have an opinion on how they compare? I've been using the Hair One exclusively for 2 weeks now and although the majority of my hair looks good and "clean", the front and sides always looks oily to me. I have side swept bangs and even right after washing my hair with the Hair One the bangs separate and look "dirty". Not happy with that at all. I've been having to use regular shampoo just on my bangs so my hair looks clean. I still want to order the Pumpkin Spice Wen but not if it's going to be the same. I'm pretty close to just going back to my old shampoo and using the Hair One for the kiddo only.

I've been using for about 2 weeks now - I wash my hair every other day (on the weekends I may push a third if I can). I'm in the process of growing my hair out. My hair generally gets a little frizzy - particularly in humid weather. The WEN, it appears, is changing all that. My hair is smooth all the time now. I was out walking one day when it was extremely humid and drizzly - the kind of weather that used to make my hair go crazy. I got home and found my hair had body and wave, but no frizz. My hair feels clean (almost cleaner), light and bouncy. I let my hair air dry this weekend after putting in a pea-sized drop as a leave it, and I could have left the house - my hair was flatter (no blow dry, after all), but was smooth and in place for the first time ever. I did it today with some leave-in and same result. I think and can go with or without the leave-in (do it for sure if I plan to air dry). I'm getting my color redone soon, so I'm anxious to see how this effects how the color lasts. Beyond that, I'll keep using (I have two bottles of the Ginger Pumpkin) and see how things go as my hair gets longer. If it holds the color the way it claims, I am sold! I'm looking forward to trying the Fig in the winter when it gets drier out.

Any of you ladies who ordered the Wen and bought the Hair One have an opinion on how they compare? I've been using the Hair One exclusively for 2 weeks now and although the majority of my hair looks good and "clean", the front and sides always looks oily to me. I have side swept bangs and even right after washing my hair with the Hair One the bangs separate and look "dirty". Not happy with that at all. I've been having to use regular shampoo just on my bangs so my hair looks clean. I still want to order the Pumpkin Spice Wen but not if it's going to be the same. I'm pretty close to just going back to my old shampoo and using the Hair One for the kiddo only.

Liann,

My Wen arrived last week and I've used it about 4 times. I like Hair One, but I love Wen. It's weird how it makes my hair feel so clean without any soapy lather. I think it feels cleaner with the Wen than Hair One. My hair is unlike yours, curlyish and coarse, so I can't say that it will work great for you. Really, in the photos I've seen, your hair looks like it's pretty perfect and doesn't seem like it can be improved upon. In my case, Wen makes my hair less frizz prone and much softer to the touch. I still need to use styling product, but just a fraction of what I used before Wen. It's pricey, but for me, it's worth it.

LiAnn,

I bought both Hair One and Wen to compare. I will happily report back when I can give a decent report. It is taking me a while as I want to make sure I have a formula that works well for me in order to give each one a fair trial (apparently you can have some dramatically different results if you get a formula that isn't best for your hair type). I also only shampoo 3x/wk max.

I purchased Hair One; cucumber for normal hair, Tea Tree for dry scalp and Olive Oil for dry hair. So far I like them all, but not seeing a dramatically different result from the Basin shampoo bars I have been using for the past 2 years.

I also purchased the Wen 6 pack travel size but haven't started sampling them yet.

I will report back as soon as I can make an educated comparison!

(it gives me a project while I wait for the DVDs!!)

I'm addicted to Wen! I now have Pumpkin, Tea Tree (haven't tried yet), Pomegranite and Sweet Almond Mint. I used SAM this morning and oh my is my hair soft and full! I am happy with all the ones I have so I'm adding Aloe Cucumber and Lavender to my collection. Yes, pricey at first but I only need "4 pumps" and my hair is clean and conditioned! This should last quite a long time for me.

I am bummed though....:( The Six Thirteen is no longer offered on QVC!

Denise

I have to say since I've been using the Wen Pumpking Spice that my scrunched curls are fuller and more abundant than they were before. I am really happy with how my hair looks.

I still wish it wasn't so expensive, I'm not sure I can continue to buy it. I just can't justify paying that much for a hair product. We'll see though, it really is doing my hair good.

WEN

I just received my WEN & I will never go back to shampoo again. I ordered the pormegrnate & the lavender. I don't like the smell of the almond mint, smells like a hosptial corrider. Anyway, thanks for having the wen info here, I always liked their ads but never knew anyone that tried. Thanks again ladies,

Karen

I'm loving it, too. My hair feels SO light. I don't think I'm spending much more, as I'm not using shampoo or mousse anymore (amazing) and hardly any hairspray. My hair looks pretty good when I roll out of bed, too! Just tried it on my 10-year old DD this am - I may have to convert the whole family. I'm wondering if my stylist will notice a difference - I see her on Wednesday.

LiAnn,

I bought both Hair One and Wen to compare. I will happily report back when I can give a decent report. It is taking me a while as I want to make sure I have a formula that works well for me in order to give each one a fair trial (apparently you can have some dramatically different results if you get a formula that isn't best for your hair type). I also only shampoo 3x/wk max.

I purchased Hair One; cucumber for normal hair, Tea Tree for dry scalp and Olive Oil for dry hair. So far I like them all, but not seeing a dramatically different result from the Basin shampoo bars I have been using for the past 2 years.

I also purchased the Wen 6 pack travel size but haven't started sampling them yet.

I will report back as soon as I can make an educated comparison!

(it gives me a project while I wait for the DVDs!!)

Laura,

Can you tell me which kind of Basin Bar you use? I was thinking of the multi-pack one, but I was hoping for a little guidance. My hair is course, dry, some curly spots, some not, unruly and generally hopeless :D. I also didn't know if I should go with the shampoo and conditioner. Thanks!

Soooo...

I think I'm allergic to the Pumpkin Spice. I have had a horrible sinus infection but it's almost gone now. I haven't used Wen for over a week and I'm finally cleared up.

Such a bummer. Does anyone know what QVC's return policy is? Would I be able to return this or exchange it for the Almond one? I wasn't allergic to that one.

:(

Laura,

Can you tell me which kind of Basin Bar you use? I was thinking of the multi-pack one, but I was hoping for a little guidance. My hair is course, dry, some curly spots, some not, unruly and generally hopeless :D. I also didn't know if I should go with the shampoo and conditioner. Thanks!

Hi Fidget Queen,

My favorite shampoo bars are Hair Nut, Hair Food and Scalp Soother. ( My hair is long, very thick, slightly wavy and normal to dry.) I have also tried the Lavender Conditioner bar and although it smelled lovely, I couldn't tell that it made any difference in my hair. (Since I started using the basin shampoo bars, I really don't need conditioner anymore!)

I'm afraid I haven't helped you much. When I buy mine at the Basin store (I stock up while we are on vacation as there is a store at DismeyWorld!) I just read the descriptions of the bars and that is how I choose which formulas to try.

Good Luck!

Love, love, love the basin bars!

Soooo...

I think I'm allergic to the Pumpkin Spice. I have had a horrible sinus infection but it's almost gone now. I haven't used Wen for over a week and I'm finally cleared up.

Such a bummer. Does anyone know what QVC's return policy is? Would I be able to return this or exchange it for the Almond one? I wasn't allergic to that one.

:(

FitnessFreak,

Good news: an allergic reaction would not cause a sinus infection. It would cause itching or redness or scalp irritation. If the smell of a product is intolerable to you, you might find your eyes and/or your nose "running" or itching.

An actual sinus infection can only be caused by bacteria getting into your sinus cavity. The shampoo would not provide any bacteria to infect you(although if you have an ongoing sinus infection, the smell of the shampoo may have been very irritationg to you whereas it wasn't irritating before you had the sinus infection)

I don't think you have to give up on your Wen!

FitnessFreak,

Good news: an allergic reaction would not cause a sinus infection. It would cause itching or redness or scalp irritation. If the smell of a product is intolerable to you, you might find your eyes and/or your nose "running" or itching.

An actual sinus infection can only be caused by bacteria getting into your sinus cavity. The shampoo would not provide any bacteria to infect you(although if you have an ongoing sinus infection, the smell of the shampoo may have been very irritationg to you whereas it wasn't irritating before you had the sinus infection)

I don't think you have to give up on your Wen!

Hmmm, interesting. However, the same exact thing happened to me when I tried ALL detergent. I got a horrible sinus infection. Could have been just a coincidence but I'm not so sure.

I plan on using it one more time before I decide to send it back and see what happens. I know that right after I use it, my nose get blocked up and I start sneezing. I get no itching, though, or irritation.

Well ladies I just tried the 6/13 cleansing conditioner (ordered it from QVC- placed on waitlist and got it yesterday) AMAZING!!! I am willing to pay full price for this gem whenever the bottle runs out. My thick, coarse, wavy hair feels even better than when I use the pomegranate conditioner. This stuff is a miracle in a bottle!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.