WeightLoss Challenge Thru 12/31 - 8/24

gonnabea5

Cathlete
Happy Friday All

I am enjoying my rest day so far. I've been working on my fuel input for the upcoming week. It's time to re-evaluate and see what's working and what is not. Here's to a new week of shaking things up and seeing some serious results. Im really trying to drop some pounds over the next 3 weeks.

I'm with you Shereta on trying to shake things up. Starting today I'm back to portion control and adding a fruit or veggie with each meal. Funny how big my plate gets when I stop measuring.

Today is the last STS workout, woohoo! I'll take the next month off from STS and just do all my favorite Cathe's, I can't wait! Boy how I've missed Drill Max and BM2 and High Reps and HSC and....I just miss them all. I might try a rotation that mixes up STS after that. We are so luck we have such a motivated instructor that just keeps producing excellent material. Love that feeling in the morning when the workout on tap is going to be challenging and fun.

Woke up this morning with an uncontrollable urge to order Susan Chung's Rapid Fire Kicks. She keeps showing up on the blogs and I found a much longer clip over on Total Fitness, looks like so much fun! I'm hoping the kickbox Xtrain is similar in intensity to this one.

Enough rambling, I hope you all have a motivated day. : )

Tina

yesterday of course was my rest day.

Today, I got my 10 miles in. I walked some and realize I've lostsome of my strength. 3 weeks left before my half and i will work on strength and endurance.

Hi everybody :D Hope you are all having a good weekend! I started mine off with a 30min run/walk this am and then gardened with my Dad.

Shereta I will be running with you as it has become my main focus. It is quite challenging for me to run and I need to back down from the harder Cathe cardio on my crosstrain days and I will do Leslie Sansone walking videos instead. So, Im with you in training :cool: My 5k is in 5 weeks and the 10k is in 8 weeks.

My basic plan is 3 days of run/walk sessions (one long r/w in the park increasing 0.5miles every week to go from 4-7 miles, one easy r/w 30-40 mins on the treadmill, one speed intervals at a nearby local high school track. That's me for the next 8 weeks!

I am also going to do Pure Strength for 3 weeks, recover a week, then do Gym Styles for 3 weeks, and then a recovery week which ends with the 10K!

Shereta you may not have really lost your endurance it is just that some runs just feel like you have! It's normal...you'll bounce back!!

Tina Im back to counting calories and spreading it pretty much evenly over 5 meals spaced about 3 hrs apart. That helps to keep my mood and cravings in check ;) So, Im with you guys on tightening up on the eating.
CONGRATS on finishing this round of STS :D:cool:!!!! Awesome feeling, isn't it?!

Renee so glad to hear your Dad pulled through surgery okay!! I pray for his speedy recovery. And my condolences on the loss of your mother. I can't even imagine as I am very close to mine....
I love pure, steady-state step cardio too!! I wish Cathe would make more of those.

Sue good job getting back into your workouts :D I am trying to limit my sugar too as the sugar monster was attacking me pretty bad this past week!!

Catch ya later!!

Gina

Hope everyone is busy enjoying their weekend!! It sure is a beautiful on weather-wise.

I've been at my parent all day, but I was able to squeeze in a Leslie Sansone 2 mile walk and then Yoga Relax Express w/o which my lower body sure needed!! It is so tight today :(

Gina

Happy Sunday, All. Today I did a premix of TriSets. I feel so much better after I do weights. Tomorrow's run should be 5 miles of hills. Yummy.

Happy Monday, All

Today's workiout ended up being 2.5 miles of farkletts. Fun. I ran as fast I could with good form for as long as I could. Then walked uphills to rest my heartrate a little and just kept repeating that. It was challenging and fun.

Tomorrow should be weights again.

I'm on a rest week from weights, so kickboxing this morning and maybe a bike ride tonight. Nutrition is so-so, hard not to graze all day after a 3+ hour bike ride on Sunday. Today also starts homeschooling for my son which includes fitness. He does Boot Camp upper/lower body premix on Mon, Wed, and Fri, and I do it along with him while correcting his form. Sometimes we mix it up and do High Reps or STS TB premix, but BC is his favorite. Whatever it takes to move him, I'm in.

I hope you all have a great day. Wish I could run like the rest of you!

Hi everyone,

Tina - I love your new picture! Its nice to put a face to the name. I really should get a picture of myself up, but I've been too lazy.

Renee - nice to see your new pic too!

Shereta - good to hear you're mixing things up with your running. Its a great way to keep motivated.

Gina - Glad to hear too that you're enjoying running. I hope things go well with your race.

My achilles tendon has really been sore. I took all last week off from exercise. Sunday I went on a 11.5 mile run and my heel was sore at the end of the run, and inflamed last night. I iced my heel all last night. This morning I did Cycle Max instead of running. I have a feeling that this has been caused by wearing flat shoes to work with no cushioning in the heel. I hope that this week I will be able to still get in some exercise, but no running for me this week. :(

Mel, good to see you're taking care of yourself. Biking is a great cross trainer.

Today's workout was To the Max, Premix - triple tibata. yikes! Enjoyed that little shorty. Short but sweaty.

Some type of running for tomorrow.

Good morning - last night my heel & ankle really swelled up. I have no idea what's causing this.

So I put it on ice all night.

This morning the swelling was completely down. I decided to do GS Legs. Hopefully I won't have any problems with my foot today cause I'm really worried about this affecting my training for the half marathon. So no high impact workouts/running for me this week. But it doesn't mean I can't workout - right?!?

I've been tweaking my diet, and it seems to be helping (down 1/2 pound this week).

Have a great day everyone.

Yesterday was my 4 mile run/walk in the park. Oh boy, I think I ran too fast. I got caught up with others running, not that I kept up with them, just made me go faster than normal. No treadmill output to tell me my speed. And it's hard for me to gauge it with the time b/c of alternating run/walk. Also, so many hills!! I hadn't been hill training on the TM, but I ran part of the course that's in the 10k & I gotta get used to doing them. My quads were crying when I got home and continue today! I know I need to slow down!!

I decided to do the leg portion of Muscle Max last night after resting my quads since my running book said only to do leg exercises the day you run in order to let your legs rest inbetween run days. And I hadn't done legs since last Tues. The leg portion in MM is very short, but let me tell ya, I was breathin, sweatin, and burnin at her wt selection and was happy it was all over in 15 minutes!! Whew! My quads were screaming today when I did the kickbacks in Leslie's 4 mile Power Walk this morning!! That's how tight they were! Oh, yea, running is a different beast from Cathe for sure!! :eek:

I also did Pure Strength Bk/Bi/Abs w/o. I liked it. It's only 42 minutes and it is straight up heavy lifting with no crazy changes in rep counts. I tried to match her and oh my goodness!! I struggled!! Just because this is an older w/o, don't think that it is any easier!! ;)

Melanie great job tweaking your diet as it seems to be paying off!! I have been too this past week and weigh in is tmrw *fingers crossed*
Im sorry to hear about your heel and ankle. I hope it recovers quickly and you are up and running in no time! Glad to hear you are giving it a break in order to do so :D

Shereta you are doing a good job of incorporating more of Cathe's w/os into your routine! I know you miss em.

Tina I think that is so cool that you workout with your son! And to Cathe!! I wish I could bike with you!! Although, the length of your journeys are a lil daunting ;)
When will you do STS again? Or did you order Xtrain and gonna try that first? Im prob not going to do another round until after I do Xtrain. For now, I am doing Cathe's other wt w/os that I haven't really spent much time with before.

Hope everyone else is doing good and doing their best towards your goals :)

Gina

I know I need to be tweeking my diet like Melanie. Im such a work in progress. If I could only live with only one sweet thing a day, I would have great results......

Gina, thanks for remindin me about working legs after running. hmmmmm, now how will i do that?

Melanie, good job of finding a workout that works for you while your heal recovers.

hello ladies :). my last outing for walk/run gave me some shin pain so I think I'll not be doing that particular exercise until I replace my running shoes. I'm officially sick of the 90+ temps and want summer to go away, might not start running again until I get some good 70s and a breeze. Also had some mystery ankle pain over the weekend, it's gone now but I took a couple of days off to make sure I don't injure myself. i know, I'm a big baby :) I bought my first barbell and performed a few 1RM tests. I over ate (a lot of bread!) on the weekend but I'm back on track now. still no sugar though, I can't wait until Saturday :)

Shereta I know how you feel about the sweets! instead do trying to deny yourself you might get some success from delaying. if you only have dessert after dinner you'll have something to look forward to and you won't have the sugar spikes all day. I don't know about you but for me one sugary snack "breaks the seal" and for the rest of the day I'm doing more impulse control than I can bear, I usually lose out to my addiction to sugar. Your long distance running really impresses me, to have the stamina to run 10 miles is just awesome!

Congrats on finishing STS Tina! homeschooling your son is so admirable, I love the thought of you using Cathe for gym class:)

Gina your training plan sounds like you've got it all together. you said you're back to counting calories, how many are you allowing per day/meal? there's a Nike gps app for your phone that will give your mph, you might look into it.

Renee I'm sending good vibes your way! I hope all is well :)

Hey Melanie - I hope your pain and swelling are behind you! can you tell us how you've tweaked your diet for success?

I hope everyone's succeeding out there :)

Today's workout was my own heavy upper body workout as I listened to Circuit Blast. I really need to keep the upper body weights consistent. Now, I should have a good run tomorrow. Crossing my fingers.

Still not sure if today will be Turbo Barre or Afterburn? Still trying to adjust to the early morning school routine. Whoever thought 7:30 was a great time to start school needs to be spoken to. :rolleyes:

Melanie, I hope your injury is doing better and you're able to run again.
Thanks for the comment on the profile pic. That's from our anniversary ride we do every year to the Nubble lighthouse in York, Maine. This year they took down the bridge that connected us there. They offer a bus ride across to cyclists, but that defeats the whole purpose. Very sad, as it's been a tradition for the last nine years. Not sure where we'll go this year yet.

I don't homeschool because I want to, it's because I have to. I'm so happy people can't see my son and I working out to Boot Camp. I have to turn into Jillian Michael's everytime to get us through it. :confused:

I think I've finally talked DH into trying STS with me at the end of September. I'm sure we'll get competitive once he's comfortable with it. ;)

I hope you all have a great day. : )

Good Wednesday morning everyone!

This morning was GS BSB. I'm doing the Gym Style workouts for a month and so far its been a challenge. I really thought I'd be able to lift as much as Cathe does in these since I just finished STS last week, but NO. The Chest & Triceps workout was especially tough for me. But since I'm doing these for a month, I'm hoping to see improvements. Gives me a challenge, and something to work for!

I'm also going to be working in two lower body strength training workouts per week. So tomorrow I'll be doing Total Body Tri-sets (Lower body). Looking forward to that one - I haven't done it in a while and I remember it being really effective.

So I've been tweaking my diet by trying to follow the paleo diet principals. There are some ideas in the diet that I don't agree with, but I'm sort of ignoring the theory behind it (i.e. what cavemen ate etc.) and just approaching it from the perspective of adding more healthy fats into my diet in order to feel satiated, and cutting out wheat/grains & dairy. So far so good. I found a good website that has tons of paleo-based recipes that are really delicious. Paleo Diet Lifestyle | paleo diet tips and recipes

My husband thinks I'm crazy for starting this diet, but I just really want to find an eating lifestyle that will help me to see physical results from all my workouts. Sure, I can get skinny, but I'm not interested in that. I want to be lean but not anorexic looking. I'm hoping that tweaking my diet will help me achieve this.

Its not as hard as I thought it would be - the biggest challenge so far is cutting out popcorn cause I love that for my evening snack. But honestly I never ate a lot of wheat before this, so its not a huge deal to cut it out.

Anyways, I'm giving it a couple of months and if I see results, then I'll stick with it.

Gina - sounds like you're really enjoying your running! I'm so happy to hear that. And its good to mix things up with running faster than you're used to. You've really got a good plan in place with making sure you know the 10K course, and practicing on that. Way to go!! When is the race?

Sue - really sorry to hear about shin pain from running. Have you had shin splints in the past? Just some general advice (since I don't know your particular situation) - maybe its your running technique that is causing you pain. If you land on your heel when you run, then you definitely will feel shin pain. You need to focus on changing the way you land on your foot, trying to land in the middle of your foot. You almost need to shuffle in order to do this - keep your feet low to the ground, rather than kicking them back. This just wastes your energy. If you notice people that are really bouncy when they run, this is not the proper way to run (they're just wasting energy). Keep the upper body movement to a minimum, and feet low to the ground.

My husband suffered from shin splints in the past and he just recently started running again. Anyways, he found a running coach that has been helping him with his technique, and he notices a huge difference. He also wears compression socks (they go up the shin). This also cuts down on shin pain.

Tina - I really hope your hubby does STS with you - that would be so awesome. I would love it if my hubby would do it with me, but he's really not into strength training.

Shereta - I know what you mean about the sweets. Sue brought up some really good points about sweets being a trigger food and lowering your resistance to more sweets. I think its a good suggestion to have something sweet at the end of the day, knowing that you won't have the rest of the day to eat more.

I love it that you have your own upper body routine! How long is it?

Well everyone, this is a super-long post (sorry about that). Have a great day.

Melanie

Tina, good luck getting hubby to do STS with you. Whenever my DH is in the room and I'm working out, he does someting silly to make me laugh. I guess I be looking too serious.

Mel, my upper body workout is about 30 minutes. I hit the muscles 3 times each of heavy weight, stretch and I'm out. I only do the tried and true exercises. I even got a 6 minutes core workout in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.