way o/t...college degrees

Michele S

Cathlete
Has anyone gone to college for the first time "later" in life and attained a degree? I'm 34 and toying with the idea of getting a degree in elementary education, but just can't imagine myself in a class full of 18 year olds!

I was on The 15-Year-Plan in terms of completing my college degree; I went to college for a few years during the traditional age range; wandered away and after about a decade realize that my degree wouldn't complete itself.

I went to a metro-area university that specializes in having a working-adult-friendly environment and schedule. There may be bachelors' programs like that in your area.

Also, don't underestimate the number of 30- and 40- (and beyond) somethings in your classes - many, many people return to college in their adult years. The Traditional Age Group for college ain't what it used to be.

If you're still concerned about that, or about scheduling, you may also want to consider online universities. They're coming into their own in terms of accreditation, quality of education and marketability of degree.

Whatever you decide, JUST DO IT.

A-Jock

I was on a similar plan to A-Jock's. I started college in 1979 and finished my masters in 1996. I was in my thirties for the majority of my college years and didn't feel at all out of place. I have an undergrad. degree in Elementary Ed and a grad. degree in English. Having been there at all ages, I can tell you from experience that going to college after you've matured a little is much more effective, and much more fun, than it is when you're young and more interested in your social life. Go for it!!! You'll never be sorry!

Shari

I second that.

Hey - if you don't do it, you're still going to age - so age and get a degree. It is something that noone can ever take away from you.

I think you will be surprised at how many adult learners are in the classroom now. However, if you don't want to physically sit in a class, and are self-disciplined, do an online degree. Here is a good link to a listing of reputable programs:
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/index.html

Good luck.

Michele,

I work at a college and a significant and growing number of students here are non-traditional college aged students a.k.a. "non-trads", so I doubt you'd be the only in your classes. In all honesty, 34 is pretty young in the non-trad community. I've had the pleasure of teaching some much older students than that. I loved having older students in my classes; they brought a much needed different perspective that everyone benefited from.

If your interested in a particular school, ask the admissions or student life folks there if the campus has any kind of programs/clubs in place to help out with the needs of non-trad students. The environment will not be nearly as weird as you might think.

Just do it!!

I received my undergrad at 40 and my graduate degree at 45. Two of the best things I ever did for myself.

AND....if you are pretty confident in your study abilities and educational competence, you can take online classes where you don't have to see not even one teeny-bopper!! Anatomy is proving difficult online, but other classes, say psychology, seem like they would be just fine taken over the computer. You just get assignments due at certain times and meet in person for 2 tests. It is very self motivated and requires alot of discipline, but if some subjects are easy for you you cannot beat the convenience. Currently, I am going to a community college in Phx, taking classes only online.

Good Luck. Like the others said, you really have nothing to lose!!
Janice

Hi Michele,

I think it is a great idea to get a degree at any age! I went to a "regular" college, and then after some major issues with depression and anxiety, took a lot of time off. I'm 21, but I felt like if I went back, I'd feel out of place. I already felt like I was more serious about school than a lot of other students I've met that were just there to party or because their parents were making them go. I'm taking online classes now and have met people of all ages, and everyone is totally serious about getting their degree. I'm actually learning more than I think I would have otherwise, and it's really nice to have adult conversation. Distance learning is no longer a diploma mill thing- there are plenty of tough programs. I definitely encourage you to look into it!

Gina

I was slightly older. I was in college from age 24 to 27. I spent 4 years in the Navy and then afterwards went to college and it was paid for with the Illinois Veterans Scholarship. I was able to get my B.S in Accounting.

My father is the director of the Education certification program at LaSalle University in Phila, PA. His program actually specializes in certifying adults who are changing careers and want to become teachers. There are tons of people and the program is very popular. Maybe there is something similar near you... If not, as the other posters have noted, you will probably be surprised at the number of older people in your classes. I think this would be especially true for something like teaching. And if you are taking night classes, I would guess the adult population would be even higher.

How exciting! I'm 34 too and I'm in the middle of finals. This is my third quarter since I started up again.

It is wonderful to be in school again. I had floated around different schools in my 20's but nothing clicked.

I go to a commuter school, not a lot of on-campus housing and so there many non-traditional students. I was nervous at first but now it isn't a problem at all.

I should finish in two years and then I want my masters.

heaven knows we don't have enough good teachers so go for it!!

Danna

I went to college for a year at 18 and got into the social life BIG TIME. Dropped out and actually had a good job at Pfizer. It wasn't until I was married and had really little kids (1 & 3)that I went back to school to get a teaching degree. I think I was about 37ish. Finished that sucker 6 years later! The problem I had was that we kept moving and some classes wouldn't transfer to a new state. Go figure. Or the requirements were different.

I went to school mostly at night and felt like a genius compared to the youngins there. I just had more life experience and many things, not all, were easier. Juggling two babies and three classes was NOT the easy part! Eventually, everyone adjusts and it just seems normal.

How can you regret learning? Just take a class to start and see. If you complete the class, it's always on your record, waiting for you to continue if you want. Alexis

Michele -

I graduated from a state college a year ago and although I was 21, there were always 30-40yr olds in most of my classes (usually night classes since they worked during the day). In any case, I don't think it's ever too late.... I say go for it!:7

I just want to thank EVERYONE for all your encouragement. I think I knew the answer, but just wanted to get some general reassurance! ;)

My community college is only 15 minutes away, so I'm getting some information from them and am hoping to be able to take a course this summer. They also offer a lot of courses online, which I'd like to take advantage of as well. My sister is 45 and just completed her master's so she's been a great encouragement to me, even though I'm starting from scratch...

Again...THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!:)

I think everyone should go to college when their in their 30's because chances are they actually KNOW what they want to be when they grow up by then (sometimes it takes longer). I went to college when I was just barely 17 and got my BA when I was just barely 20 and have done nothing with it. Then I went back to help my husband graduate and get his BS (I was there for moral support and to get him through all math related subjects :) ). I was completely sick of school and sick of paying for it (we both went to Wheaton). BUT, now there are probably half a dozen things that I would LOVE to study and I have no time to do it. If you have the time, NEVER let age stop you - Go for it.

Briee

I received my BA in Psych when I was 23, then went on to nursing school. I was 28 when I received my nursing degree. During the last 18 years, I've attended classes off and on almost always. I have a Legal Nurse Consulting certificate, but no formal degree from all those classes. Still, I really do believe education is a life-long process, and I enjoy taking classes when I have the time. I've taken other nursing classes, computer classes, and even toyed with the idea of law school for a while. I was in an MBA program when I got pregnant with my daughter, and never found the time (or desire) to finish once she was born. When I was taking computer classes last year, most of the students in them were over 30, and they were during the day. I didn't feel out of place at all, so please don't think you'll be the only one over 18 sitting there - LOL!! You won't be. Go for it!! I wish you the best of luck!!

Carol
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.