upper body question

**balancedmom**

Hi Cathe, first off I just love all of your tapes. It seems like right when I want to give up or get discouraged you are right there to encourage and push me to continue. You actually make me smile, sometimes when I really don't feel like it! :0)

Ok, my question might seem a little silly, but here it goes. My upper arms measure one whole inch difference between the two. My question is should I lift different amounts of weight for each arm or just continue working them out the same? I hold all my weight/fat in the upper body area, especially in the triceps and under the underarm. Any help or advice in tackling the upper body would be helpful. I do all your tapes that have upper body work, and realize that cardio will take care of the fat. I have upped my cardio a lot (5 sometimes 6 days a week 30 mins. on weight days and an hour or more on cardio days) and workout my upper body at least two times a week. Thanks in advance for any help from you or the educated crowd. Lori Darling

NOT a silly question, but it's the weekend, girl! :-cool Here's my "rule of underarm flab" :) (and I am an "educated crowd" (certified and all ) :-wow . I work those triceps til they are trembling, quiver, shaking, rockin': they are workin!!! BUT, that may mean one side comes along on lighter weight than the other (because it is stressed already.) Don't INJURE YOURSELF. That's the rule. When they're a-shakin', that's generally enough to improve them. Many people have one side MUCH stronger than the other.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!! I was getting a little nervous that it was really a **silly** question!! :0) So I need to just continue working out both arms the same. I know that generally one body part can be not only stronger, but larger than the other. I am just frustrated that it measures one inch bigger , (fat wise) and it does happen to be my stronger arm!! Here is another one for you. Whenever I do tricep work I hardly ever feel the tricep
muscle working. It is so strange, but the next day ,oh boy, can I ever feel it! Is that normal? Sometimes I am not sure whether I really worked them enough or not. I use mostly eight lbs when doing tricep work, sometimes fives on the last set if they get too heavy. When I say too heavy I mean my forarms and wrists hurt before I feel anything in my triceps. I have no problem **feeling** my muscles work on any other part of my body, it's strange.Ok just want to thank you again for your reply and your advice!! Blessings, Lori Darling :0)

PS~your right,I didn't think about it being the weekend!! :0)

yes, it is normal. Some days I use 12's for triceps (rockin' days):-gloat, usually 10's, and yes, sometimes 8's are just fine. (I am 145 lbs. though and 5'9"--so 12's aren't for everyone.) I only usually "feel" and "see" the triceps working on 1. push-ups and 2. french presses on the bench. But, if you do dips, push-backs, regular french presses from a standing position, and tricep bench presses (started at the rib cage vs. the chest) you may not feel it at the time, but, yes you WILL...
Cathe may have some better or different advice for you, but, keep on your cardio to reduce over-all fat and you're doing just fine....also, try some "yoga push ups" with the arms angled straight back (as opposed to horizontally to the floor); this will put more and immediate pressure on the triceps.

Thank you Murph, great advice!! Wow!! 12 lbs dumbells, I thought I was doin' good with 8's!! I will have to try the Yoga Push ups you suggested, they sound like they will help out a lot. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions, your advice and expertise is appreciated!! Lori Darling

Hi Lori! No such thing as a silly question ;-)!

Its very normal for one arm to have more strength than the other. Since you mention that you hold a lot of your weight in your upper arm area, the size difference could be stored fat which will come off over time with your cardio activities. At this point I wouldn't really be too concerned with the size difference. I would just continue with your cardio and weight rotations as you have been doing and perhaps consider the following changes(unless you are already doing this).

I would suggest making two of your regular weekly cardio workouts very intense and no longer than 35 minutes(save these workouts for your non weight days). During these two workouts you will be working in the higher end of your aerobic training zone for as much of the time as you can. Of course, recover a bit whenever needed and then start pushing again. These workouts will help to perk up your metabolism. Also, focus on doing an intense tricep workout (to "pick on" target the trouble zone) one day a week in addition to your current weight work. To do this, select five exercises (EX. dips, kickbacks, standing one arm over head press, lying down overhead barbell extentions, close grip barbell press)and do each exercise for 3 sets of 10 to 12 reps. This will help to shape and define the "uncooperative" upper arm area.

Good Luck!

Cathe, ***THANK YOU SO MUCH!!*** I am amazed at how professional yet personal/down to earth you are with each question asked. I hate to say it but I have one more question and then I won't take up any more of your time. You mentioned doing 35 min of intense cardio work twice a week. What videos of yours would you recommend in order to achieve this. I just recently did MIC and Interval Max for the first time and I LOVED them both!!:-wow I have all but your first three videos. (they will be added to my stash as well, in time!! :-rollen )
My favorite is Circuit Max. I just got the CTX series and have not done it yet. Would the cardio sections in these workouts be what you are talking about? I also started running again, two miles two to three times a week. I am not sure that would be considered intense enough. Thanks again for answering my **SILLY** :-shy question!! I am definitely going to incorporate all the advice you have given me. I will let you know how things work out!! Blessings, Lori Darling

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.