UPDATED "ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CATHE'S WORKOUTS"

RE: UPDATED

Wow - this is fantastic. Not only will it help me to decide my next purchase, but it helped show me how far I've come. I started with Cathe only a few months ago. Now, my favorite cardio workouts are Imax2 and Low Max. Looks like I'm working out at the intermediate/advanced level and I didn't even know it!

Thank you Michelle for making this list.

Whenever I'm able to purchase a new Cathe DVD I always refer to it.

Jen

Thanks, this was a really big help for me!

Correct me if i'm wrong, but i can't find stretchmax on here. Just letting you know :)

-Margaret

Hi,

I'm relatively new to Cathe. I currently own Basic Step and Body Fusion and really love it. The intensity guide you've put together is exactly what I need to help me buy more Cathe workouts. I was just wondering if you or anyone have any gauge on the difficulty of Low Impact Step and Total Body Sculpt? How do you think that would rank?

Thanks,

Cristina

Hi Cristina

Whilst I don't own the workouts you are referring to, I believe they are of a similar intensity to the ones you have already. Cathe released these workouts for the beginner/intermediate exerciser. The ultimate guide to Cathes workouts focusses on her other workouts which are considered more advanced, so my guess is that they would score around the 3-5 level.

If you look on the video/dvd rotation forum, Cathe has a post on it with an Official Beginners rotation. This contains all of the workouts you have mentioned.

Hope this helps....

Michelle

Thank you *so much* for compiling this list. As a new Cathe-ite who's gradually working her way through intensity levels, I can't tell you how helpful it is!

ETA: I don't see Ab Hits listed, but I assume it's lighter in intensity - if only because of each segment's length - than Core Max.

Hello all,
Just wondering how you determined the difficulty level of these workout sessions.
I really appreciate the information and thank you for posting it.
Cathy

Hi Cathy

As you will see in the preamble to the ratings, everyone was asked to rate each workout on a scale of 1-10 based on how intense they found each workout. I averaged all of the results.

Some people use heart rate monitors and I guess their responses would be based on the relative heart rate/calories expended for the workouts. Many of the responses would be on "gut feel".

We tried to keep it simple and not too scientific but I think the ratings do provide a fair representation.

I hope that answers your question!

Michelle

Michelle, thanks for all the work you did on this. I am somewhat new the Cathe's workouts. I have been doing them for almost a year. I really want to tryt the rotation she posted a while back that someone referred to. These workouts appear to be approximately 90 minutes in length. I have a couple of questions.

Can you break them up? I have quite a demanding jog and usually work out for an hour in the morning before work. I really don't think I can get up earlier. So I was curious if it would be effective in a 60 minutes am session and and 30 minute pm session.

Walking lunges? When it states 200 walking lunges, is that total - 100 each leg? And are this weights or without?

Which rotation are you referring to? I am just another Cathe fan myself so I am not the expert! You may be better to post this question on the Ask Cathe forum. Otherwise I can really only offer you my opinion.

In relation to walking lunges, here is a cut & paste of something Cathe put out in one of the other forums:

One of my favorites: The Walking Lunge
This exercise requires a lot of space so you may need to take this outside in your driveway or somewhere that allows you to travel a straight distance of say 40 to 50 feet.

How to do it:
Stand with feet hip width apart, legs straight, abdominals contracted, and core muscles engaged. Keep torso centered between both legs as you take a generous step forward with the right foot, bending both knees to 90 degree angles. The right knee stays in line with the right ankle and rear thigh is perpendicular to the floor. The left (or in this case the rear knee) will point to the floor but never make contact with it. Continue to walk forward alternating lead legs until you have alternated the lead for 16 rep's per
side. Do up to three walking sets if possible. Remember that even though you are moving forward in this lunge, you need to keep your stride within the range of a standard forward lunge, therefore keeping the lunging motion vertical and upright. As you step
forward, sink down and feel the hips lower down as the quads and hamstrings activate. Then push off the back foot to propel forward to the other lead leg.

Also, most people usually break up the 400, and work up to doing longet sets at one time. Start with what you can handle and keep going from there.

Regards
Michelle

I am new to this forum, though I've been watching it for a while, I want to thank you for putting this together along with everyone that voted because this is what I used to make my 20+ Cathe purchases. Thanks, everyone!!!

I must be really strange......

Because I think Bootcamp is a walk in the park compared to High Step Training.

I also think Supersets is very difficult -- much more difficult than Power Hour or Muscle endurance. Pehaps it is the use of the Stability Ball in Supersets that makes it so difficult for me.

I refer to this list often and extend my greatest thanks to those of you who put it together.

Kind Regards,

Amy

Hello Michelle.
Thank you for your time and energy, I was impressed with it that I copied onto my hard drive for future reference.
Do you plan on adding the new workouts in this at all?

Thanks again.

JT

Yes I will be updating it after everyone has had a chance to use the new workouts. I am pondering adding an enjoyment rating as well next time.

Hi Michelle,
What a great list!

Any thoughts on categorizing by complexity also next time around?
(I feel bad even asking.)
Beth

I hadn't considered that one, but I am planning to solicit some feedback before I update it, so I'll see what the majority would like.

Michelle,

This has been most useful. I too believe the high step challenge is harder than boot camp. I do love them both. I will be getting the new DVDs and will let you know my thoughts. I am very excited about the new workouts.

Take care, and thank you again for this listing.

Allyson.

Is there a source/place where we can see how each workout was rated by how complex the choreography? I see it is a common thread here. Some love it difficult and others want a simple workout.

Hi Fach. There is no choreography rating but I can tell you a few things. Cathe's earlier workouts seem to be less complex (i.e., The Classics, Cardio Hits -- although Step Works is a little more complex than Power Max or Step Fit). IMAX 1 also has more athletic choreography. Rhythmic Step and Step Blast are the most complex. IMAX 3 is the most complex of the IMAXes. Low Max isn't too bad although some people get tripped up with the reverse mambo. Boot Camp is also more athletic along with High Step Challenge and High Step Training Advanced.

Hope this helps. If you have any others you have questions about, just ask.

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.