Update

midnight

Cathlete
My father died of metastatic melanoma on Wednesday, August 24th. Although the doctor had led us to believe there was some hope for treatment, this turned out not to be the case. He was gone a week and a half after the biopsy report came back showing that the lesions in his liver were melanoma. We watched him decline, hour by hour, until he was no longer the person he had been such a very short time ago. It happened that quickly. I was still attempting to cope with the diagnosis and he was gone.

Melanoma is a predator and once it is loose, it strikes quickly and fatally. When the mole on his back was removed 5 years ago and found to be melanoma and in addition, had migrated to one lymph node, we knew it would be back even though the mole and all the lymph nodes under one arm were removed. It was just a matter of time. There is no cure and despite research, a reliable treatment has not been found. If caught early, it is usually not fatal. It can be prevented by using sunscreen religiously, especially while young as this is when the most sun damage occurs.

Make sure your doctor does a skin check at every annual physical or gyn exam. Most moles and spots are benign but why take the chance?

I miss my Dad. He was a great dad to me and my sisters and a wonderful grandfather to his 5 grandchildren. He knew another baby was on the way and my sister will name that baby, a boy, after him.

--Lois

"If I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning" - Mahatma Ghandi

Lois - I'm so sorry about the death of your father.

Melanoma is very scary. Thanks for the reminder to get a skin check - it's so important.

Take care.

Erica

Lois...I am so sorry. I lost my Dad almost 8 years ago and I do miss him dearly. I know how tough it can be...I bet your Dad was a great Dad and Grandfather. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time...Carole

My sincere condolences Lois.

My youngest son is quite 'moley' and sees a dermatologist once a year. They took pictures of his ENTIRE body and use that as a map/reference of any changes.

It is very important for all of us to use sunscreen and have our skin checked for any unusual spots/moles on a regular basis.

Thank you for educating us during this most difficult and sorrowful time. You just may save a life...

Tammy

I am sorry for your loss.

My grandmother died of melanoma as well, so I know the importance of good sunscreen and a good dermatologist.

Lois,

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

My neighbor is still battling melanoma. He has finished a two-week course of radiation and started on Temadar, a brain tumor chemotherapy drug) this past week. It is a 5-day treatment and only a 20% success rate. I am so afraid for him and his family. Again, my condolences to you and your family.

Lois

My condolances to you and your family on the passing of your Dad. It is tough to lose a parent. do your best to keep his memories alive with our family. Blessings to you.

sincerely,
Judy
"Likes2bfit" since 1999

Lois,
So sorry for your loss ((((HUGS))) Take care of yourself and thanks for the reminder to protect ourselves against this devistating disease.

catherine

I am so sorry for your loss. I just lost my dad a month ago to cancer, so I know what you are going through. It is really hard. Many hugs and prayers to you and your family.

Lois,

So sorry to hear of the loss of your Dad. I can't imagine how difficult that must be. Also, thanks for the reminder about melanoma. It is a devastating disease.

Lois,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure your father was an amazing man who will be missed by many.

Thanks for shedding some light on such an important topic that many of don't take seriously enough.

Sending hugs,

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back