True Muscle Failure!

atgood

Cathlete
Cathe,
This is another "mash note" about the Hardcore series -- in particular, at the moment I am truly "enjoying" }( the Gym Style series. I am usually able to keep up with you on upper body workouts, more or less, but the Gym Style workouts, in particular Chest and Triceps, are pushing me beyond any of your workouts to date. My triceps especially were just fried -- no, fricaseed -- after that workout. I seriously reached a point on the crossover tricep work where my muscles just quit -- total failure. Kaput. Fini. I was actually shocked-- shocked! -- since I do a lot of weight work, am quite strong and almost always able to finish all the reps using the weights I was using in this workout. Fortunately because of the way you've designed that particular move I was able to "spot" myself safely. And then the Bonus Burns with the band -- yowee!! :eek: My triceps were feeling it for days afterward; I haven't had that kind of upper body soreness in ages. No doubt starting off with all those descending sets of pushups was a major contributing cause.

Anyway, sorry to be longwinded, but just wanted to let you know how much I'm finding the Gym Styles fresh and fun, the sequencing is extremely effective. Reaching muscle failure gives me clear goals to push for in future workouts. And those Bonus Burns are EVIL GENIUS! Thanks so much and -- BRAVA!

Ditto. When I was doing the overhead tricep presses, I reached failure and there was no lifting that dumbell one more time. My tricep just refused. I did that workout Monday and my triceps and chest are still sore. I wasn't saying very nice things to CAthe, I have to admit. :) But I'll thank her later I'm sure. I love this challenge.

I felt my triceps for 3 days afterwards. Those 72 pushups as the warm up made the chest work beyond challenging. I had to drop down to 12#!
I had IOMS with GS-Legs. I was crying for mommy! I literally just sat on the couch the rest of the night and didn't even get up to fix dinner! I'm doing that one again tomorrow! }( I'm just crazy about this new series!
I just finished Imax3 for the first time. I used a 4 in. step b/c I didn't preview but I made it through. Cathe, I got really winded. BC doesn't even get me wind me anymore! I'm shocked! Very fun, and challenging.
I've seen great changes in the two weeks I've used this series. I think I've lost 1/2-1 inch off everyhting!

Thank you!
~Reece Out~

Oh my yes, I had to use my other arm to force my triceps to finish the set in those cross body moves. I have rarely hit that point. I love the Gym Style stuff. Someday I will do those push-ups without being on my knees. I guess my chest and triceps were weaker because I could barely move for a couple days after CT, but BSB didn't take me down as hard. I think it was because my triceps were still so "shaky" that I couldn't get 100% into it. so I'm switching them around.}(
Traci'

'Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.'

You are all super evil - I want to buy Hardcore GymStyle workouts right now!!! I am not sure I have ever truly experienced muscle failure.......well, kind of....I just up my weight, but tend to get used to heavier weights fairly quickly, and I bore so easily! I always need something fresh and am so glad i found Cathe!

Reece: Seriously TWO inches!!! I have a wedding in August that I would like to lose two inches, if the Hardcore will do that for me - I might be buying that this summer! I just got the Intensity Series, so I would feel a little guilty buying it right now without using a full Intensity rotation first!

Thanks Cathe! Keep up the great work! I wonder if Cathe will ever use those Body Bars?? hhhhmmmmmmmmmm

Reba- I'm sure you'll see wonderful results with the Intensities. Follow the rotation for that series and you'll get in great shape! Cathe did the Intensities after having her second child. That series got rid of that stubborn fat that wouldn't come off of her (hard to imagine). There is an article about that on the home page if you scroll down you'll find it. I would only buy the Hardcore series after you can do all the IS dvds with no problem. You might even want to do the BootCamp challenge so that you'll be in shape for Imax3. I know that is the only reason I was able to complete that workout without pausing. Also, since you don't think you've ever hit failure you will want to really strive for that in the Intensities. That way your progress will be a lot quicker and your results will be noticable.
Be sure to eat clean and get plenty of rest. There are several articles over at bodybuilding.com that would educate you on several things. That way you won't have to go through trial and error.

Congrats on your wedding and I hope all goes well.

~Reece Out~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.